Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward John Bensted - Pte Army Service Corps

Guest Beigecat

Guest Beigecat

Hi

Hoping to obtain some advice about tracking down my great grandfather Edward John Bensted.

His occupation is listed as Private in Army Service Corps on a child's birth certificate. Despite checking the available records e.g. the medal index, rolls, remaining service records and various databases I can find no reference for him.

There is a suspicion that he didn't die but possibly emigrated but there is no evidence to support this. But there appears to be no evidence to suggest he was reported missing or died during WW1 either. It is a mystery which is becoming rather annoying and more bewildering at time goes on. Has anyone got any other suggestions? Has anyone else had problems finding any reference to a WW1 soldier, even on the medal cards?

I have also rearched on other spellings of the same surname as I realise that transcription errors can easily occur.

Help gratefully appreciated.....

Anita :(

Have you checked through the Medal Index Cards on Microfilm at Kew?

These are usually in alphabetical order (though somewhat idiosyncratically, some of the ones with initials only appear in different places)

The online search is really at the mercy of those transcribing the index and mistakes were made (e.g. a whole batch of several hundred Northamptonshire Regiment men ending up transcribed as "Northumberland Regiment")

May be worth a check.

What about the local newspapers of the time? Most casualties got a mention somewhere.

Steve.

P.S. Sorry if you read a post I made before and it disappeared. I hadn't read your first post well enough...

Hello Anita

Have you eliminated the ASC MIC for C E Bensted?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

If ther is no MIC for your grandfather and the information on Frank's birth certificate is accurate then that would indicate that it was home service.

Without wishing to be unkind, is there a possibility that he could have done a 'runner' on his family and the Passchedaele story was used by your grandmother to conceal the hurt?

Regards

Mel

Guest Beigecat

Unfortunately I haven't. I visited Kew last week for the first time and as I was about to do as you suggested - one of the assistants told me that as the index was already online it wasn't worth checking the microfilm records. I live in North Yorkshire and will not be able to visit again for a while. If anyone else is going in the near future I would be very grateful for assistance with this.....

Reading previous posts - is it correct that he would not have had a medal card if he didn't serve abroad?

Thanks Anita

Hello Anita

The campaign medals were only awarded to those that had entered a theatre of war so exclusive home service was rendered ineligable.

regards

Mel

Guest Beigecat

I have looked for info about soldiers who did not see active service abroad but there does not appear to be much available. I cannot imagine this was very common was it? I really need some advice about what else I can do. From what I can tell - it doesn't help matters that he might have been in the ASC. There is a book by Mike Young but it is out of print now. Any suggestions about finding out about which ASC unit he might have been in if he enlisted in Walthamstow area of London?

Anita

There were Reserve Depots at Blackheath and Park Royal but I am afraid that without a MIC that it would be like looking for the proverbial needle

The ASC was very diverse and although principally concerned with logistical transport, it could encompass anything from clerks to tank drivers.

You could do a check on the ASC at the National Archives but the chances of turning anything up is pretty minimal.

regards

Mel