Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horses names

auchonvillerssomme

Were military horses officially named? i have a picture taken in the 1933 of my grandfather standing between 2 horses, on the back is written '170 - 244 Lead of Wagon Team' So would the horses have had official names as well as numbers? I would guess the troops would give them names.

Mick

An 'official name' would imply that every horse and mule with the British forces would have a unique title. Even with assistance of the 'Bumper Book of Names' that task would have given a severe headache to some poor army clerk!

Ian

and heres some for mules before any other clever sods beat me to it.

Mick

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

An 'official name' would imply that every horse and mule with the British forces would have a unique title. Even with assistance of the 'Bumper Book of Names' that task would have given a severe headache to some poor army clerk!

Ian

But if it had a name and number?

Mick

Just to stop any more PM's i am aware that the MIC's are soldiers named mule, not actually mules, it was a joke.

Mick

Don't know about the British Army but the Light Horse gave every horse a number. They were also branded. The horses cost alot of money and every one of them had to be accounted for, whether in the front line or on sick parade. The soldier that drew the horse usually gave it a name and it was his horse until it became sick, got killed or the war ended.

In the Routine orders there are notes about the horses being brought up, or taken away sick, each is referred to by their number and colour.

Cheers

Kim

Every horse was given a number but not an official name. Riders often gave their horses 'pet' names but these were unofficial. However certain horses were and still are given names - Household Cavalry Drum Horses - although they were/are not in action. Other instances of horses with names occurred when the Yeomanry rode their own (i.e. personally owned horses).

see this previous thread: 

Don't know about the British Army but the Light Horse gave every horse a number. They were also branded. The horses cost alot of money and every one of them had to be accounted for, whether in the front line or on sick parade.

Didn't they kill most of the horses at Gallipoli just prior to the evacuation, leaving the bodies for the Turks to find? I'm fairly certain that happened at Anzac Cove, although I don't know about Helles etc.

That seems a fairly awful thing to do. But I suppose they didn't want to help the Turkish War effort by leaving live horses for them.

Allie

Mick

Please forgive me but I couldn't help but notice that 152 Dobbins also served:

Dobbin

I promise -no more! :P

Regards

Mel