Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery (RGA)

keggy65

Hello all,

I'm trying to find information re my grandfather and he's proving to be a very elusive man!

He was born in Barrow In Furness and was in the RA (150493) Gnr William McKegg. He went to France in December 1915 and was awarded the 1915 trio. This is about as far as I've got and now appear to have hit a brick wall. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Hello Mabel.

Do you not mean his service number was 15049 (no 3) according to the MIC. If so that could suggest he had prewar army service but numbering experts might tell you further. Can I ask how you know he went to France in December 1915 and do you have an exact date, or was it based on the fact he received the 15 star or do you have other evidence. It could be important as I think only two RGA siege batteries went into the theatre of war France and Flanders at that time. If you have already downloaded his MIC it would be a good idea to post it so the forum could decipher it for you.

Regards Paul

Hello Mabel.

Do you not mean his service number was 15049 (no 3) according to the MIC. If so that could suggest he had prewar army service but numbering experts might tell you further. Can I ask how you know he went to France in December 1915 and do you have an exact date, or was it based on the fact he received the 15 star or do you have other evidence. It could be important as I think only two RGA siege batteries went into the theatre of war France and Flanders at that time. If you have already downloaded his MIC it would be a good idea to post it so the forum could decipher it for you.

Regards Paul

[. Can I ask how you know he went to France in December 1915 and do you have an exact date, or was it based on the fact he received the 15 star or do you have other evidence.

The date will be on the MIC - (if it didnt come from there)

Hello Mabel.

Regards Paul

Hello Paul

Thanks a million for replying. However, I must tell you I think I've made quite a big mistake! No excuses but I am (a) very new to searching for family history and (B) new to the internet.

I have downloaded his MIC card but there are 2 William McKeggs and I thought they were both for him. Now, of course, I realise that this probably isn't true! I'm not sure how to post the card but will have a go - if it doesn't work, I can tell you that it would appear he didn't go to France - the other Wm McKegg did! Along the top of my grandfather's card (L-R) it says Name, McKegg and underneath that, William. Corps, RGA. Regtl No. 150493 (he did have previous military service - in the Boer War if that's relevant). In the lower left of the card it says Medal - Victory RGA/253B and then 15389. Underneath that is British --do--.

If you can help I'd be very grateful.

Mabel

Previous service before 1913 means you have a 2nd chance to find service papers - as well as those of ww1 soldiers (held at the NA, Kew)

And you wont be the last person to look at the wrong MIC - its easy done