Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USA caualties of the Great War

Nigel Marshall

I'm sure this must have been asked before, so please forgive any repetition of the question.

Is there an online database, somthing like the CWGC, listing American casualties from the Great War?

Any info or links gratefully received.

Ta

Nigel

Thanks Malcolm,

My man isn't listed there unfortunately.

More digging required methinks!

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel:

I have some comments, but might not drop them if you are only looking for info on one person. The AEF casualty figures seem to have been a bit dodgy. Prof. Mosier (The Myth of the Great War) has said that the US casualty figures were to only country's figures to be deliberately "cooked", but I don't know the specifics of his criticism. I have worked extensively on one major AEF battle, and I found a lot of deception and fudge in the various official histories, especially when it comes to casualties.

But all this might not (or might) impact your search for info on one soldier. In the engagement I looked at, the casualty lists were clearly, at least in part, quite incomplete, and not always so identified.

Bob Lembke

Thanks for that Bob.

I am (so far) only interested in the one man. He was originally local to this part of Northern Ireland. His name appears on the local war memorial where he is listed as being with the AEF and his family gravestone also gives mention of him.

At the moment I would settle for the same sort of info the CWGC gives on their site and I will try to expand on it in the future.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Nigel:

I have some comments, but might not drop them if you are only looking for info on one person. The AEF casualty figures seem to have been a bit dodgy. Prof. Mosier (The Myth of the Great War) has said that the US casualty figures were to only country's figures to be deliberately "cooked", but I don't know the specifics of his criticism. I have worked extensively on one major AEF battle, and I found a lot of deception and fudge in the various official histories, especially when it comes to casualties.

But all this might not (or might) impact your search for info on one soldier. In the engagement I looked at, the casualty lists were clearly, at least in part, quite incomplete, and not always so identified.

Bob Lembke

Mosier's book is an abomination IMHO.

Aye

Malcolm

Mosier's book is an abomination IMHO.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcom;

It was one of the first books that I read when I began studying WW I seriously about five years ago. I quite liked it and felt that he was one of the new school of students of WW I that actually walk the battlefield, go into cemetaries and count the headstones, and not necessarily take the official histories too uncritically.

I have since read something like 200 to 600 or more sources on WW I (depending on how you define a "source"), mostly primary sources or official histories, in German, English, French, Italian, (in order of frequency) and now am struggling horribly to translate a bit of Turkish.

So I wonder how I would react to Mosier today, hopefully knowing more about WW I than I did back then. I might find it awful. I do remember that he certainly said a number of things that I assumed would bend people's feathers more than a bit. I really can't remember much of the specifics at this distance. I did write him and he responded in a helpful fashion.

Bob Lembke

Nigel - Do you know anything about the man and his US history. For example, do you know when he came over, or where he wound up? Do you know anything about his time in the US Army - unit (even engineer vs infantry, etc). All these details might have a clue that would lead you to a respective database of info.

No its not as easy as the CWGC, but the info is out there.

Andy