Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Battery...

tynesideirish

I was a member of G Parachute Battery (mercers Troop) 7th Parachute Regiment RHA. My point being if I was to describe myself I'd say I was in Mercers or G Bty or 7 Para / 7RHA at a push but not 5 Airborne BDE.

Can anyone tell me why then my Grandads details are always as below? How can I find what Regiment he was in and even his Battery? He was an OP Ack.

My Grandad 45848 Bombardier William Waters. 45th BDE RFA

Regiment is Royal Field Artillery - further details might be on the medal roll esp if he was due a 14 star

Regiment is Royal Field Artillery - further details might be on the medal roll esp if he was due a 14 star

Thanks very much for replying. Yes I have his M.I.C stating a 1914 star trio. No further details on there just 45th BDE RFA.

I know he was RFA but did they not number the Regiments?

I was in RHA but as stated would say I was 7 RHA. Would he not be in say 7 RFA for instance?

By the way I work in Coldstream!

Small world

As he has a 14 star then this medal roll (the numbers next to the 14 star on the mic show the roll and page number - held at the NA, Kew) may give further details as to a specific part of the Regiment

45 Bde was in 8 Division which comprised of:-

HQ Divisional Artillery - Commanded by Brig Gen J W F Lamont in 1918

33 Bde RFA Comprising of 4 Batteries 32,33 and 36 equipted with 18 Pdr. 55 Bty (4.5" How)

45 Bde RFA Comprising of 4 Batteries 1,3 and 5 equipted with 18 Pdr. 57 Bty (4.5" How)

X/8 Medium Trench Mortar Bty

Y/8 Medium Trench Mortar Bty

8th Divisional Ammunition Column

You can liken a Bde RFA to todays Regiment the three 18 Pdr. Gun Batteries each had 4 Guns until the reorg in December 1916 when each Battery went to 6 Guns.

John

Cheers john, Have since gleened he was in 5 Bty and though wounded badly in 1915 he served on until 1934.