Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bootsale buys

welshdoc

This weeks bootsale found two items a Victory medal to 20220 William H Vickers Notts & Derby paid full Wack £15 but I hate leaving brave mens medals in boot sales. Also a nice Silver wounds badge B114049, no pin but for £3. :D

you cant go wrong for £3 - Id have got it too at that price - it could be to any one !

vickers number is 20223 though on soldiers died

He May also be a survivor of the DARDANELLES Campaign as 9th Bn were the only SF Bn to fight there

vivkers number is 20223 though on soldiers died

thanks for the information chaps,

Coldstreamer-I think the 20220 number is correct as this is in the archives in the CWGC site and on the medal.

Mark- thats interesting what a thought surviving Gallipoli and copping it on the Somme.

As the number is a five digit do you think he was a regular terri or new army? Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Not knowing anything much about the buying and selling of medals, I wanted to ask a question. Now that you know Vickers was a casualty, would that make the medal more valuable, and worth more than the £15 paid? Or because its incomplete as such, would the value not be effected?

Also say that 'one' had a done a full search, say at the NA for instance, and then more was available for that soldier, and the medal, am I right in presuming that the medal then becomes more valuable?

Alie.

Hello

single victory medals to casualtys are around £25 plus depending on unit, date etc

also, extra research could reveal nothing of interest..that might put off a buyer..i am amazed how many medals i have to men not once wounded in 4 yrs of fighting - STDs are about as common :rolleyes:

Ian

Hi Gareth,

Not knowing anything much about the buying and selling of medals, I wanted to ask a question. Now that you know Vickers was a casualty, would that make the medal more valuable, and worth more than the £15 paid? Or because its incomplete as such, would the value not be effected?

Also say that 'one' had a done a full search, say at the NA for instance, and then more was available for that soldier, and the medal, am I right in presuming that the medal then becomes more valuable?

Alie.

Hi Alie as Coldstreamer said the medal is worth more as a casualty but it is the interest and research that the find gives is more important, Ive never parted with any casualty item and i wont if I can help it. he will become a treasured part of my collection. Gareth

Hello

single victory medals to casualtys are around £25 plus depending on unit, date etc

also, extra research could reveal nothing of interest..that might put off a buyer..i am amazed how many medals i have to men not once wounded in 4 yrs of fighting - STDs are about as common :rolleyes:

Ian

Hehe, thanks for that Ian. So Gareth hasn't necessarily paid over the top then, which is what he thought he might of done.

So if I was to be a medal dealer, then I would research each medal. If nothing of interest was found, I would say nothing, and just sell it as it was. (So as not to put off potential researchers). But if I did find that the medal was to a casualty, I would have all the photocopies from the NA that I could get? (To get more money for that medal).

Is that about right? I'm not being critical here, just wondering and making observations.

Alie.

Hello

I would guess dealers dont research all the medals they get - the time spent to check would probably out way the benefits found.

And saying nothing - I wouldnt do that though , I would just list what I knew- something of no importance to one person could mean a whole load to another.

To be honest, if I saw a medal advertised and the papers showed nothing of any note I proabably would not buy them - but only because I must be a bit more fussy these days with things outside my specific collecting field

Ian

Hehe, thanks for that Ian. So Gareth hasn't necessarily paid over the top then, which is what he thought he might of done.

So if I was to be a medal dealer, then I would research each medal. If nothing of interest was found, I would say nothing, and just sell it as it was. (So as not to put off potential researchers). But if I did find that the medal was to a casualty, I would have all the photocopies from the NA that I could get? (To get more money for that medal).

Is that about right? I'm not being critical here, just wondering and making observations.

Alie.

Ohh cynical but thats what happens, but its the odd occassion when one finds an item away from dealers or EBAy which gives a chance for some research and a chance to post some snippets here. A few weeks ago i bought a discharge cert, which with the help of forum members I found was his only entitlement, its a buzz. gareth.

Hi Gareth and Ian,

Thanks for that! Its interesting. I too like looking around boot fairs and antique fairs etc. Although haven't had much opportunity recently. Always keep an eye out for anything WW1 related though, when I do go. As you say Gareth, if you get to spot a medal from a stallholder that might not of researched that medal, then the buzz if you do find something out afterwards, must be great.

Ian, I always look out for any Coldstream Guards service records at the NA whenever I am looking at a reel. Will let you know if I find any. There are a few others on the forum that I think of whilst doing that, Annette with her 6th Shropshires, and Brian Talmers for his Ox and Bucks.

Alie.

Hi Alie, also bought for the wife a triang dolls pram circa 1930! so its not all for me, infact I only go to hand over the cash! gareth

Gareth,

The Two Notts Derby 9th Bn Trios I have are both to soldiers who saw service in the Gallipolli/ Dardanelles Campaign. Their numbers are

17588 entered theatre 2B Balkans before 31.12.15

22933 ------------------"------------- on 8.9.15

9th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Derby, 24 August 1914, as part of K1. August 1914 : attached to 33rd Brigade, 11th (Northern) Division.

1 July 1915 : sailed from Liverpool, landing Alexandria, and on to Mudros, completing concentration by 28 July 1915

7 August 1915 : landed at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli

21 December 1915 : withdrew from Gallipoli, to Egypt

July 1916 : landed at Marseilles, spent remainder of the war on the Western Front

Hope this helps

Mark

thanks for the information chaps,

Coldstreamer-I think the 20220 number is correct as this is in the archives in the CWGC site and on the medal.

Mark- thats interesting what a thought surviving Gallipoli and copping it on the Somme.

As the number is a five digit do you think he was a regular terri or new army? Gareth

Thanks Mark thats very interesting confirmation about the battalion. It certainly seems more than likely that he went to Gallipoli as well but then to die on the Somme ! Doesnt seem fair at all and only 21, Gareth

• 3 weeks later...

This months buy is a Honorable Discharge certificate Its to a Welsh Gunner 348187 David Edward Lydiard Glamorgan Royal Garison Artillery. Not the most common name around. there was a family in Roath in cardiff and although hes not on the 1901 cencus I suspect thats where was from. No bargains today (£20)but at least hes got a good home rather than leaning against the rear wheel of a ford transit. Gareth

you cant get a bargain every day...

Got a few car boot bargains today. Three WW1 fieldpost postcards for £1.50, and a WW2 memorial scroll to a merchant seaman for £2.00.

Happy hunting all. You never know what you may come across, and the getting up early sometimes is worth it!

SteveB

Very nice glad you removed the scoll from the boot sale theres something so sad about items like that sold from the back of a car. gareth

Hi,

I don't know how you chaps do it. I have been searching boot sales for years - 3 this weekend - and so far have come up with nothing. I must be going to the wrong boot sales or the people of Lincolnshire must be hanging onto their militaria!!

Tanks3

Hi TAnks get a second pair of well trained eyes, I look out for dolls for the wife, she saw the certificate ! I find something about 3 times a year. gareth

We never had captains like that in the Irish army........