Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for a sapper

eddiec

I would been keen to find out information on my grandfather who served as a Sapper. This I know from a war memorial plaque.

His name was John Connolly (DOB 29 Sept 1884)

when he died (in 1961 when a was a baby) an insertion was put in the newspaper from the Royal Engineers (36th Ulster Division) Old boys Association and was given a legion funeral.

I contacted the Royal Engineers Association but they were formed after this and had no info. The Legion Branch couldnt find the relevant records (and have since closed) and the Headquarters in Belfast couldnt help either.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Eddie,

a search in the Medal Index at the National Archives John Connolly lists 24 where in fact there are 18.

Do you have a number to go with his name?

Peter

I would concur with Terry's assessment. A good number of the 64xxx series of numbers seem to have been allocated to 36th Divisions engineer companies, probably in late 1914.

Further avenues to confirm this could be marriage/birth certificates around the time or the Absent Voters Lists (some of which survive) for the 1918 General Election.

Steve.

I would concur with Terry's assessment. A good number of the 64xxx series of numbers seem to have been allocated to 36th Divisions engineer companies, probably in late 1914.

Further avenues to confirm this could be marriage/birth certificates around the time or the Absent Voters Lists (some of which survive) for the 1918 General Election.

Steve.

Thanks for the help.

I downloaded the card which I have attached. As there is no DOB etc or other identification how would I use this card to confirm if is him?

There are no marriage or birth certs for this time and I dont think there are any Absent voters registers for northern Ireland.

post-14140-1154962625.jpg

Hi Eddiec

Here are the file numbers for the Medal Rolls & Silver War Badge roll at the National Archives:

R.E. 101-B31=WO329/346, this is for his BWM & VM.

R.E. 3B= WO329/2576, this is for the Star 1915.

SWB R.E./4852= WO329/3005.

The only way you will find out if this is your man is to go & look for his sevices record at the National Archives. I feel he may have been in 122nd Field Coy R.E. 36 Division

The Ulster Division original engineers had numbers beginning 64... or 57... attested at the Old Town Hall Belfast. [even when they joined up local to their home town].

When the 3rd field companies were raised,the 150th [ i think about march 1915 ] as far as i can tell took a random selection of numbered men from the existing companies. Being tradesmen they would have had to spread them accross the three field companies so that each had their set number of Brickies,plumbers etc.

Have tried to find a guy before in the 36th Engineers by his number.

Mons i was wondering why you thought he may have been a 122nd man ,although i think you may be right as i can't find him,yet,on any of my 121st or 150th lists of men. That said i didn't find my grandfather until i got his service record [121st] and found him on the photos i already had.

Rob