Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit at the Somme

Tom A McCluskey

Hi all,

Does anyone recognize the unit involved in this photograph? I believe it is an Australian unit at the Somme in 1918.

Also, does anyone have the IWM, or Australian, photo reference for this picture, please?

What is interesting is, not only is it a great photo, but they have their entrenching tools in front of the 'crown jewels' :)

In advance, many thanks!

Aye Tom McC

post-10175-1154794707.jpg

Tom

Picture is often used in Australian publications.

Date is 8/8/18 (anniversary soon)

29 Bn AIF at Warfusee-Abancourt.

Lt Rupe Downes adressing platoon

AWM reference E02790

Dontcha luv the bloke wif the Lewis

Ned

There is a second Lewis gunner further down the line as well. Good example of how the intrinsic firepower had increased in infantry units.

Robert

Ned,

Great! Thanks for the information ;)

It's a fantastic photo, and the boys look like they mean business.

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

All the soldiers in the photograph were identified, and their subsequent fate mentioned, in an issue of Wartime, the AWM's journal, a few years ago. If you're interested, I'll look it up for you.

Cheers

Gareth

Tom

Gareth, I started typing this up and you got in before me. Rather than waste what I had commenced I thought I'd finish the job and post it along with another image.

B Company, 29th Infantry Battalion on the morning of 8 August 1918 near the villages of Warfusee and Lamotte.

Left to right( see image below):

1. 5058 Sgt William Patrick O'Brien - KIA 9 August 1918

2. 4271 Pte James Cryer - discharged 28 Sept 1919

3. 4103 Pte Charles Alfred Olive - KIA 30 Sept 1918

4. 677 Lance Cpl Louis Price MM - died 20 July 1993 aged 98

5. 5095 Pte Harry James Phillips - died 21 December 1977

6. 4733 Pte Horace Joseph Buckley - returned to Aust 6 Sept 1919

7. 509 Lance Cpl Alexander Bethuen Craven - died 19 May 1960

8. 5088 Pte Patrick O'Grady - returned to Aust June 1919

9. 5057 Pte Timothy Leyden - died 31 October 1941

10. 5116 Pte Edward Thomlinson - returned to Aust July 1919

11. 5014 Pte Herbert Davidson - discharged 12 Sept 1919

12. 6827 Pte Horace John Towers - died 11 November 1918

13. 4349 Lance Cpl Thomas John Barrett Pope - returned to Aust 5 Jan 1920

14. 2568 Pte John Leslie Gordon Arlow - KIA 30 Sept 1918

15. 3207 Temp Cpl John Bird - died 24 Oct 1945

16. 560 Pte Frederick George Hall (curiously standing between the line of soldiers and Lt Downes) - died 2 June 1971

17. Lt Rupert Frederick Arding Downes MC - died 1954

Taken from the article by W.H. Connell called Seventeen Men in Wartime No.3 Spring 1998, pp 47-48, Official Magazine of the Australian War Memorial.

Chris

post-5991-1154854536.jpg

Chris

Thanks, I was just slogging through the Wartimes trying to find it, but hadn't reached 1998.

Cheers

Gareth

thanks Ceebee. Very interesting post. Where did you find the pic and identifying names?

Robbie

Robbie

They are from an article by W.H. Connell called Seventeen Men, published in Wartime No.3 Spring 1998, pp 47-48, Official Magazine of the Australian War Memorial. If you would like a scanned copy please PM your email details and I'll send it through.

Chris

Mates,

I believe Fred Hall was Lt Downes batman and also acted as runner hence his beiing out front.

Also the size of the men is interesting as Pte Thomlinson (10) was 43 years old and only 5 1/4 feet in height.

Cheers

S,B

Service records for all the men, except Pte Phillips (5), Pte Arlow (14) and Cpl Bird (15) have been digitised and can be viewed on the website of the Australian National Archives (here).

Pte Thomlinson was initially rejected for military service due to his height. He was eventually accepted in August 1917, when standards had relaxed.

On the topic of size, the service record for Pte Hall states he was 5 feet 2 1/2 inches tall. He looks taller to me, but that could be due to the perspective and sloping land. Pte Leyden (9) was 5 feet 4 1/4 inches. Lt Downes towers at 5 feet 11 inches.

Chris

Robbie

They are from an article by W.H. Connell called Seventeen Men, published in Wartime No.3 Spring 1998, pp 47-48, Official Magazine of the Australian War Memorial. If you would like a scanned copy please PM your email details and I'll send it through.

Chris

that would be terrific thanks Chris

Happy 88th Anniversay, chaps.

17 men in a platoon...should be what 60? Read recently about how the Commonwealth divisions were able to keep the numbers up near full strength in 1918. Right.

Guest Jaq Howe
Tom

Picture is often used in Australian publications.

Date is 8/8/18 (anniversary soon)

29 Bn AIF at Warfusee-Abancourt.

Ned

Yes Ned, they all look a band of brothers.

88 years today since 8/8/18

91 years today 7 VC's at Lone Pine

64 years today 39th Australian Militia Battlion fought Battle of Kokoda.

Today 8/8/2006 39th Battalion resurected as Training Unit for all Australian Defence Forces

Happy Anniversaries mates

Yes Ned, they all look a band of brothers.

91 years today 7 VC's at Lone Pine

jaq do you have a list of these?

Robbie

Guest Jaq Howe

Robbie

Burton

Dunstan

Hamilton

Keysor

Shout

Symons

Tubb

Check out the VC entry under Encyclopedia on the AWM.gov.au website

Only 2 other VC's were awarded to Australians on Gallipoli

Jaq

Happy 88th Anniversay, chaps.

17 men in a platoon...should be what 60? Read recently about how the Commonwealth divisions were able to keep the numbers up near full strength in 1918. Right.

Hi Duckman,

Maybe other Commonwealth divisions but not the Australian divsions. 17 in the platoon would be the correct figure.

By the second half of 1918 Australian battalions averaged about 200 -250 men per battalion or less in some cases. The famous mutinies of some Australian battalions in 1918 resulted when the authorities tried to disband or merge them with other severely depleted units. The troops wanted to stay together and fight in their own battalions no matter how depleted they were. Some battalions did disband, eg the 60th, and the troops were posted to make up the strength of other units.

Australia never introduced conscription in the Great War (rejected at two referendums) and so the AIF depended on a dwindling supply of volunteers in the last year of the war. Still a great effort - over 418,000 volunteers from a total population of 4.8 million.

Regards

Crunchy

Hi Duckman (again)

Just noticed your In memory was 8th Light Horse WIA at the Nek 7/8/15 and DOW. My Great -Uncle was 10th Light Horse KIA at the Nek 7/8/15. 91 years ago yesterday. Stout hearted men.

Regards

Crunchy

I too have that copy of "wartime" and i would love to know exactly how he tracked those names down ? the only thing i can think of is the photographer took them down after he took the photo, which i doubt very much. perhaps Lt Downes,s pocket book survived and he got the names from that ? does anybody know ?

montbrehain

There must have been a starting point and this may be something to ask Ian Affleck from the Australian War Memorial. I've tried to contact Ian about another photo, but have been unsuccessful to date. A followup phone call is in order at which time I'll quiz him about this photo.

There is a possibility that one of the survivors noticed the photo, which was widely distributed, and identified the soldiers. This may have passed down to relatives who in turn informed the AWM. Such a situation occurred with another photo published in Wartime Magazine.

Chris

It`s a lovely photo and quite poignant in that the sergeant smiling on the left was apparently killed next day. Phil B

• 8 months later...
I too have that copy of "wartime" and i would love to know exactly how he tracked those names down ? the only thing i can think of is the photographer took them down after he took the photo, which i doubt very much. perhaps Lt Downes,s pocket book survived and he got the names from that ? does anybody know ?

Don't know if your still interested or if you have found out but, if memory serves me, i recall seeing an ad/article placed (probably by the AWM) a few years back asking anyone who maybe able to assist in identification to contact same. Was it in the Age newspaper? I believe a few relatives came forward and were able to identify or verify. Sorry bit vague - but i'm sure thats how it all came together.

Guest nobelius

I did not see any request in the press, but the AWM did run a special segment within the last two years asking for identification of mainly WW2 and Korean pictures.

Vern