Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early tank commander - Arthur Blowers

delta

Roger

If possible yes as may not be allowed to photograph it or may not see it on the day. Could I have photos of the rims as well.

If you want to see my tank collect join the www.britishmedalforum.com it is free. My collection is under THE17PAYNES

At the moment apart from helping Stephen every now and then with his mission, I am compling a database of every WW1 tanker, the battalions they were in and any additonal info.

Simon

Roger

As you already know your relative saw service with the D or 4th Battalion of Tank Corps but did you know he was with the 8th Battalion after that?

If you want proof send me your email

Simon (17tankman) :o

Simon,

Whilst I was at Colindale a few weeks ago I copied a casualty list of the Tank Corps which is likely to be the Tank Corps men wounded on 8th August 1918. Would that sort of thing be any help?

Steve.

Steve

That would be brillant I have picked up a few WIA from the National Archives battalion histories but anything else that shows more would be great.

My email address if it can be scanned is THE17PAYNES@AOL.COM

Many thanks

Simon

Simon - he was wounded whilst training with 8th Bn in France (early Septemer 1917) - look under D5 on my site at

http://www.firsttankcrews.com/tanknosd1tod6.htm

Who's the Russian award winner - I know Colle was there; and Groutage too from C Compnay

but didn't know of another from D Bn -

Stephen

Stephen

The chap I am researching and it is a weird one as he went onto America and served in WW2

315188 Pte J Hall Tank Corps - have a look at his MIC card. The number is very late but then again there has been late cases of late numbering.

The gazette date is there but can not find it yet. The Tsar was killed in July 1918 so it must be for an award when he was around as the Communist did not carry on with it?

Simon

ps interested in your thoughts on this one

Roger

If possible yes as may not be allowed to photograph it or may not see it on the day. Could I have photos of the rims as well.

If you want to see my tank collect join the www.britishmedalforum.com it is free. My collection is under THE17PAYNES

At the moment apart from helping Stephen every now and then with his mission, I am compiling a database of every WW1 tanker, the battalions they were in and any additonal info.

Simon

I doubt I can manage that, Simon.

My father's medals are in my brother's possession .....he is in England and I am in Spain, and he is planning to have the medals mounted very shortly, in time to take them to Ypres.

I think it unlikely that he has the facilities for getting a good shot of the edge inscriptions.....but I will ask him.

I am aware of my father's subsequent injuries, but thanks for the offer and the information above.

Roger

Simon,

E-mail of Official Casualty List scans sent.

Steve.

Stebie9173,

Any chance of letting me have a copy of this list too, by PM?

Simon,

May have asked this of you before but have you any info on Lt Thomas Edward Bain Chalmers? I know he won the MC with C Battalion then went onto serve with G battalion. Do you have any more on him?

Thanks guys

Tanks3

E-mail me on XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Tanks3. (Edited out e-mail address as now unneeded).

Did you ever get the service file of Arthur Blowers, by the way? I can't remember getting an e-mail from you.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tanks,

Long overdue I know, and not the proper thread, but hopefully you will be pleased to see this.

It's the Salvage Battalion tunic I mentioned showing the chequered shoulder flash worn by he Battalion. There was also a piece of cloth the same size glued to the front of his steel helmet which apparently fell off many years ago when it used to hang on a coat hook in his hall.

Still, it is what it is, a lovely battered old tunic with it's elbows worn out doing the gardening after the war.

Sorry once again for the delay.

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1254091744.jpg

Taff,

Thanks so much for posting this. Well worth the wait. Lovely 3/4 view tank badge and epaulette. Most impressed and very green with envy.

Not sure if you were able to find out any details on the owner (its sometime since we corresponded) so if you know anything please do post.

Wonderful item - simply marvelous

Tanks3

Glad you were pleased to see it Tanks.

I will see what else I ca find out about him. He was member No.1 of the Tank Corps OCA; his son still has the letter from Hotblack (I think) congratulating him on being the first member.

Sorry again for the delay.

Cheers,

Taff

• 3 weeks later...

My brother David (ex-3 RTR) and I went to Flanders for the weekend of 10/11 Oct and were delighted to get a chance to see so many of the places associated with our father's service.

What I stupidly failed to realise is that Philippe Gorczynski who accommodated us all at Hotel Beatus, was the very same 'fillthetank' who'd emailed me asking if I wanted to get back my father's miniatures!! (I have just emailed him again, as my original replies seemed to go astray).

It was wonderful to see 'Deborah' and the memorial at the approx point from which the tanks set-off on 'Day 1'.....a couple of emotional moments.

Day1TankPlaque.jpg

I also enjoyed the inauguration...if that's the correct word... of the Tank Memorial in Poelkapelle and the battlefield tours.

IMG_0881.jpg

I was also able to find and photograph, for a close friend, a great-uncle's name on one of the 'piers' at Thiepval.

(The Canadian memorials were, I thought, especially impressive. I have some other photos, if anyone is interested)

Roger - glad you had a good time

Have just finished first draft of Chapter 3 of First Tank Crews -, which covers your father's action - and will send you a copy

Stephen

• 6 months later...

FWIW, I found a scanned copy of the newspaper cutting...here it is with and without a bit of the citation.

SkipPic0001.jpg

SkipPiccrop0001.jpg

Roger - many thanks

That has come up very well

Do you mind if I use it for the presentation at Northampton next month?

S

Roger - many thanks

That has come up very well

Do you mind if I use it for the presentation at Northampton next month?

S

No, Of course I don't, Stephen....I'm just sorry I cannot be there.

Roger - that's most kind

If it goes down well, hopefully I will be asked to do it again elsewhere

S

• 5 years later...

I put a post here about father's papers, but decide to make it a new post.

Edited by justinb