Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early tank commander - Arthur Blowers

delta

Stebie,

Still cann't send you a PM as I am still told your mail box is full. Only just picked up your post. Have you an alternative e-mail address I can use?

Thanks

Tanks3

Tanks3

If you have no success with contacting stebie, PM me your email and I'll try to send you a copy.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember which of you gents offered to copy and send me pages from Trevor's book which relate to my father, but whoever it was, if you haven't done so, it's no longer necessary. But thanks for the thought!

I have purchased Trevor's book and will pick it up in UK this week ... it will give me a chance to show it to one of my brothers who were in 3 RTR, and to the one who has Father's MC.... maybe I can prise it (the medal) away from him and unite it with the other 3 :)

Having spoken to Trevor, I felt I should at least buy his book!

Enjoy the book ; it's first class

By the way, i'm still working my way through your father p-file - fascinating

Stephen

• 4 months later...

Just an update to re-assure those of you who expressed concern that my father's medals had become separated.

After a bit of diplomatic nagging on my part, the eldest surviving brother, who had the MC, has passed it to my youngest brother, who served with the RTR, is the Lord High Everything in his local Tank Association(or whatever it's called), mainly because he's about the the only one still alive(!) and he now has the full set :)

I have had a set of miniatures made for myself, and am thinking of getting a frame done next, with maybe a badge and a photo.

The documents are, I am afraid, lost, to us. I hope they are in the hands of someone who is interested in them.

Thanks again to all who helped and advised.

Roger

• 3 months later...

I have been going through family albums lately and was surprised to find pics of my father both before the war at age about 20(in the local hockey team), and at 60ish just before he retired from school teaching.

Can't think why any of you guys would want them , but someone did express an interest previously, so I could probably get them scanned......

Roger

I have been hunting for a decent picture of your father for my website

I have not used the newspaper photo (see post 5) as it is not that good.

Would you allow me to use the picture of him as a 20 year old - if so, could you send me a scan

Stephen

Roger

I have been hunting for a decent picture of your father for my website

I have not used the newspaper photo (see post 5) as it is not that good.

Would you allow me to use the picture of him as a 20 year old - if so, could you send me a scan

Stephen

I'll see if I can locate a scanner, Stephen, but it will have to wait a week or two as I have to return to UK next week for a family funeral. This has been a sad year for us. In the meantime, I'll see how well digital pics of the photos come out...probably not well enough!

I was impressed by the detail of the small bit of your website I've had time to read. Here's a bit more...!

The Rosa Fisher mentioned in Father's will became his first wife, soon after the war, and mother of a son (who served as a Sgt Pilot in WWII, and was MID) and a daughter (who married an Army Captain, a POW of the Japanese for 3 years, but he survived to his 80th year). My half-brother died aged 73 but my half-sister is still alive, aged 86.

Rosa, or Ro, as she was known, died in the mid 1920s, of TB.

• 1 year later...

Hello gents...just realised I have been incommunicado for a year or so!!

Just a quick update form anyone who is still interested: I was contacted today by Philippe ('fillthetank' on ebay) who told me he still has Father's miniatures...but told me nothing more about them.

I replied asking him if he also has the papers, and, if so would he sell them back to me, as I'd like them to be with the original full-size group, which my brother has....I await a reply.

(I now have copies, from our own Tony Kirk)

Philippe pointed me at this website, which I'm sure you'll know-of:

www.tank-cambrai.com

Hi Roger - welcome back

Managed to find out quite a bit about your father's 2IC - the other members of the crew are still on my list!

http://www.firsttankcrews.com/tanknosd1tod6.htm

Stephen

That is very comprehensive, Stephen...thank you.

(edited to remove advice of a minor error, now corrected)

If any of you out there become aware of any plans to go to Flers in September(or any other time, but obviously that would be 'special'), please get in touch with me ... blowersr at hotmail dot com...thanks.

Regards

Roger

Hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions - I picked up your posts within a day and adjusted the site immediately

Apologies but my post of thanks did not seem to make it through.

S

Roger,

I am so glad that this thread resurfaced and I was able to read all about your father in the early posts. My dad too, was a Great War soldier and growing up with a man who was old enough to be my Grandad was a little difficult in the 50's and 60's but has left some wonderful though idiosyncratic memories of the time, though not in 'Blowers'' League!

I hope all goes well with your medal quest. Phil.

Thanks, Phil, for the kind words.

i have had no reply from fillthetank...I am rather puzzled as to why he told me he has the medals! :huh:

Hi Roger, hope you are well. I am in Flers early March and will, as usual, walk the fields your father went over and think of what he achieved,

kind regards

Tony

Thanks, Tony , for the kind thought.

• 6 months later...

Another update ...for them as is interested!....

My brother David, an ex Tanks man himself has just told me that a new museum or display is being opened at Ypres on the weekend of 8th October coming and that he is going, with a crowd of 'Tankers'!

He is proposing to get Arthur's original medals properly mounted and to present them, on loan, to the new museum(or whatever it is)...he was just checking for approval from the surviving siblings, and asking for Kirky's address!

This may be of more general info to anyone thinking of visiting the area around that time

That's wonderful news

PM on the way

Stephen

We thought it was appropriate for the medals to be resting near to where they were earned, and accessible to those who are most likely to be seriously interested.

I was interested to read, in an earlier post, that my father's Webley had found its way to Bovington...I wonder how that came about, as I'd assumed my eldest brother had simply handed it in at the nearest police station when the handgun ban came into force.

Stephen and Justinb

Been reading your comments and great news all round. On the medal front before lending the medals make sure a proper document is prepared confirming that the medals are on loan and the rules about how you can get them back. I have read so many horror stories of families having to sue museums after the death of the person who lent them.

Stephen I have just found a set of medals to a tanker who was awarded a Cross of St George 4th Class from the Tsar of russia and went on to be a US mercant navy in WW2.

Justinb I am hopping to go to the Oct event as have several medals of soldiers who took part in the event. Is it possible I could have a photo of the medals when framed.

Simon (17tankman) :rolleyes:

Stephen and Justinb

Been reading your comments and great news all round. On the medal front before lending the medals make sure a proper document is prepared confirming that the medals are on loan and the rules about how you can get them back. I have read so many horror stories of families having to sue museums after the death of the person who lent them.

Stephen I have just found a set of medals to a tanker who was awarded a Cross of St George 4th Class from the Tsar of russia and went on to be a US mercant navy in WW2.

Justinb I am hopping to go to the Oct event as have several medals of soldiers who took part in the event. Is it possible I could have a photo of the medals when framed.

Simon (17tankman) :rolleyes:

Thanks, Simon, I will pass-on your advice to my brother and will try to get a photo for you ....do you need it before the event?

Roger