Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead mans penny

Pettsy

I am on a mission.

My aunt informed me yesterday that my nan's fathers DEAD MAN'S PENNY was pawned by her uncles, soon after he was killed in 1915. So my poor nan never ever got to see it. :angry:

My nan is no longer with us but I would love to buy one for my dad.

I know the chances of finding my great grandfathers penny in very slight.

I have just looked on medal tracker, with no luck.

Where else can I look?

Found one on eBay.

I also would like to find my mothers fathers WW2 medals, which went missing years ago.

Any ideas.

Thank you.

Pettsy

Hello Pettsy,

Ebay as good a place as any to find WW2 medals. I am assuming your Grandfather was in the British Army in which case his medals would not be named. Do you know what his medal entitlment was, as he could be entitled to a max of 5 stars + War and Defence medals. Also he may have been awarded gallantry medals ie military medal, DCM etc. The only problem with ebay there are lots of fakes out there, so buyer beware.

Regards

Peter

It is entirely possible that your Dad didn't send for his WW2 Medals;many thousands didnt,or have only recently applied ,as they,unlike the majority of WW1 awards; HAD to be claimed by the recipients,it might be worth making enquiries to the Relevant Medal Office first;as he is still alive they would be able to let him know his entitlement & if claimed{see Long Long Trail for AMO etc addresses}

With regard to the Commemorative Plaque,these would have been granted to the Servicemans Next of Kin{Mother/Wife/Grandparents,etc as designated in his Record.}& were issued from the early 1920s onward,each being cast with the recipients name,unique,unless the names was common

Hi Peter

Thank you for you reply.

My grandfather would have had the African Star, The Italy Star, War Medal, Defence Medal and 1945 Star.

I did get mum a set of minitures from eBay, (they look original, how can you tell?)

Dad was very pleased with them, we was lucky to find all five set together with ribbon.

Hi Harry,

It was my grandfather (mum's dad) We always thought he never sent of for them, so I did fill out a form with the medal dept.

But it turns out he did receive them, they even gave me the address they were sent to. God only know's what he done with them.

I ask if I could buy another set of medals from them, but there were not have it, I begged :D with no joy.

That is when I turned to eBay :lol:

I was hoping some dealer might have my great grandfather DEAD MANS PENNY.

I really want to buy one for my father.

Pettsy

Pettsy,

You could list your death plaque want here:

http://www.members.aol.com/deathpenny1/

Hello Pettsy, have a look at this site its for Air Crew Europe Stars, but many of its pointers are relevent for the other stars.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/hartleyi/acediscussion.htm

The WW2 medals you require should be easly obtainable. If you are unsure of getting the geniune item on ebay, and are prepared to pay the extra preimum, then there are a number of online dealers about.

Have a look at this link

http://www.southernmedals.co.uk/

I would like to add that I have no connection with them, but have used them before and had no problems.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

I agree it is a worry when you buy of eBay, although we were lucky with the medals we bought.

I have just bought myself, the Royal Engineers Sweetheart badge, the services Rendered Badge, and the Royal Engineers Cap Badge (a present for my uncle)

I have my eye on two more for my dad ;)

Lots of Death Plaques, but not the name I want. :(

I would rather search for a few years, decades

Thank you for the links.

Pettsy

... My aunt informed me yesterday that my nan's fathers DEAD MAN'S PENNY was pawned by her uncles, soon after he was killed in 1915. ...

This is not possible. Production of the plaques did not start until December 1918.

Hi

No my mistake,

He was killed in WW1.

The death plaque was pawned not long after my great granny had received it by one of her brothers.

I do not know the date it was received or pawned.

Pettsy

Pettsy,

I still find it a bit implausible. A pawnbroker would only advance a sum of money that could be recovered – together with stiff interest – by selling the plaque if the borrower defaulted. But what price could a pawnbroker expect get on a named plaque at a time when almost a million had just been issued? Virtually nothing is my guess.

Hi Clive

I have no idea, I was only told the story on Wednesday by my aunt, her mother (my nan) never got to see the death plaque as one of her uncles had pawned.

It was put in a pocket of a jacket or waistcoat, as you were not allowed to pawn medal, death plques etc, and in clothing was the only way to do it :( (so I have been told)

I wish it was not true, I have no idea of the truth as we only know what we are told, and it all happend a good 50 years before my birth.

But it is somewhere and I would love to find it ;)

Pettsy

Well Pettsy, I hope the story is not true. It often happens that family memories become subtly modified over the years. People mishear, make their own interpretations, exaggerate for effect, misunderstand and so on. It is easy for the story to change without anyone ever intending to be dishonest.