The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Medal Award Dates

munce

Does anyone know how much time would typically pass between a heroic act being performed and the award of an MM? My great-gradfather was awarded the MM on 13/11/1917, and attached to a unit in the Fifth Army, so I presume his deed was performed during 3rd Ypres. Is there any way I can discover more about the circumstances of his award?

Hi,

A general rule of thumb was three to four months between the act of gallantry and the appearance in the LG. It might be worth checking out the battalion war diary in wo 95 at the PRO. How detailed this is depends on the adjutant who wrote it. Individuals (except officers) are rarely named, however, I have found details of more than one MM award in a war diary.

Regards,

Alex.

Evening Munce.

If your Great-Grandfather was awarded the MM on the 13.11.17 while serving with the Fifth Army,then he was awarded it at 3rd Ypres.

Even though the village of Passchendaele was taken by the Canadians on the 9.11.17,my Great-Grandfathers MG Battalion was in action on the 11th/12th,in support of 5th Army actions.

Do you know which battalion he was serving with at the time?

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

He was serving with the RASC, attached to 99th Siege Battery ammunition column, RGA. Unfortunately I know very little else about him or his unit, except that a family story has it that he rescued casualties during a gas attack, leaving himself exposed to the gas, and for this got his MM. Can anyone fill in any other broad details of where this might have taken place? Unfortunately I can't get to the PRO for some time to look at the war diary, and resources on the web are very scanty on RGA units.

The RGA section on www.1914-1918.net is being built right now. It will be work-in-progress for a couple of weeks at least but do take a look. Go to Army Units>Artillery>RGA. Chris

Munce

By this stage in the war immediate awards, like your Great Grandfather's MM would be awarded within 3-4 weeks of the recommendation going forward. Therefore, at a guess I would say that his act of gallantry was probably in mid-October 1917.

Charles M