Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

manchesters graves

manchester regiment

have any pals got pictures of the graves of any soldiers from the manchester regt that we can have for our new manchesters website,all credit for the pictures will be posted under each picture,and we tell enquirers who want copies to do the courtesy of asking the owner of the picture for permission,we are grateful for pictures from any conflict,many thanks in advance,please can you post them on here,bernard

Have you tried the British War Memorial project web site? That has thousands of photographs of british war graves on it and may contain information relevant to your request,

Garth

Have you tried the British War Memorial project web site? That has thousands of photographs of british war graves on it and may contain information relevant to your request,

Garth

hiya garth,i checked out the site,they expect a donation of £5 to £10 per picture,its to cover the cost of printing the photo,no disrespect to them,but i think thats a exhorbitant price to pay for a picture,harribob,monsstar and myself are scouring everywhere in search of pics of manchesters for our site and they dont come cheap,so funds are tight,thanks for the link garth,its much appreciated,bernard

hiya garth,i checked out the site,they expect a donation of £5 to £10 per picture,its to cover the cost of printing the photo,no disrespect to them,but i think thats a exhorbitant price to pay for a picture,harribob,monsstar and myself are scouring everywhere in search of pics of manchesters for our site and they dont come cheap,so funds are tight,thanks for the link garth,its much appreciated,bernard

Bernard

Sorry about that. I'm a volunteer for the project and have donated many hours of my time and no small amount of money collecting photos. I hadn't realised they asked for money to print them. I must admit I am a bit disappointed in that attitude. I had supposed that if people asked for copies of the photos they could be downloaded for a much smaller donation. I will have to reconsider taking any more pictures for them.

Cheers

Garth

hiya garth,its a pity we dont have something similar on here,hundreds of the pals on this site go to F/F every year,imagine how many pictures there would be after 12 months,and albeit the pals have several thousand in their collections all ready to post,it could create funds for the forum,bernard

I think we have already had a discussion about the British War Memorial Project and at the risk of going over old ground I would like to reiterate that any donation is VOLUNTARY. It says so on the site. As our host Chris Baker will I'm sure confirm, websites do not magically provide their own finance. It comes via sponsorship and / or donations. As a volunteer for the project I see nothing wrong in soliciting donations to pay for the not inconsiderable yearly cost of running the site.

When I go to F&F I offer to photograph for Pals, but it's on this basis, viz "I am going to such and such location, does anyone want anything while I am there?"

Anyone taking me up on the offer realises fully - I hope - that there's a chance I won't get there, or the car will break down or it will pour with rain or the photo won't be very good. It's the luck of the draw. Then when I get home I will send the photos on when I get the time.

This is a very different thing to being able to go on line at one's own convenience and download what one wants when one wants it. The primary purpose of the Project is to provide a virtual Remembrance. If you wish to use the resource for any other reason, I see nothing strange in being ASKED to donate to the upkeep of the site.

I am now donning my Brodie helmet and taking cover.....

Chris C

PS I have loads of Manchester Regt pictures so if you PM me I will try to help.

Guest RichardHowman

Hi All,

Thanks Chris.

Just to follow this... I recently spent a lot of time replying to threads on this forum from people who haven't read the site fully and went off 'half cocked' on here. I also listed my home phone number on here for people to call me if they felt they needed to talk to me directly about their concerns - not a single person called. So once again for clarity:

1. The images are not for sale, nor will they ever be. Please read the page at:

http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/newsite...x.htm/#requests

2. We politely suggest a donation - if people don't donate Steve and I fund it from our own pockets as we've done for the past four years.

3. The Project is endorsed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission - it's the only one which is, and there are good reasons for that.

So please, think and read more carefully before ranting on this forum about how unfair everything is. A lot of totally unnecessary and time consuming damage is done by this happening, which results in me spending time writing emails about rather than concentrating on our work.

Thanks,

Richard

I am also a volunteer and have never been under the illusion that there was a charge for pics. The site clearly states that voluntary donations only are the order of the day - the same as applies to this Forum.

The BWMP project is worthy of everybody's support (along with the similar projects for the dominions) and there should be no fear of anybody 'making money' out of the scheme.

I apologise on behalf of the Forum and its members for any consternation caused to the project and its volunteers.

I think we have already had a discussion about the British War Memorial Project and at the risk of going over old ground I would like to reiterate that any donation is VOLUNTARY. It says so on the site. As our host Chris Baker will I'm sure confirm, websites do not magically provide their own finance. It comes via sponsorship and / or donations. As a volunteer for the project I see nothing wrong in soliciting donations to pay for the not inconsiderable yearly cost of running the site.

When I go to F&F I offer to photograph for Pals, but it's on this basis, viz "I am going to such and such location, does anyone want anything while I am there?"

Anyone taking me up on the offer realises fully - I hope - that there's a chance I won't get there, or the car will break down or it will pour with rain or the photo won't be very good. It's the luck of the draw. Then when I get home I will send the photos on when I get the time.

This is a very different thing to being able to go on line at one's own convenience and download what one wants when one wants it. The primary purpose of the Project is to provide a virtual Remembrance. If you wish to use the resource for any other reason, I see nothing strange in being ASKED to donate to the upkeep of the site.

I am now donning my Brodie helmet and taking cover.....

Chris C

PS I have loads of Manchester Regt pictures so if you PM me I will try to help.

hello chris,i agree with what you say about making donations etc,its a worthwhile project,i wasnt on the forum when it was discussed before so i missed it,no need for the helmet mate,your answer is a fair and honest one,you have kindly helped me before with pictures,regards bernard

Hi All,

Thanks Chris.

Just to follow this... I recently spent a lot of time replying to threads on this forum from people who haven't read the site fully and went off 'half cocked' on here. I also listed my home phone number on here for people to call me if they felt they needed to talk to me directly about their concerns - not a single person called. So once again for clarity:

1. The images are not for sale, nor will they ever be. Please read the page at:

http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/newsite...x.htm/#requests

2. We politely suggest a donation - if people don't donate Steve and I fund it from our own pockets as we've done for the past four years.

3. The Project is endorsed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission - it's the only one which is, and there are good reasons for that.

So please, think and read more carefully before ranting on this forum about how unfair everything is. A lot of totally unnecessary and time consuming damage is done by this happening, which results in me spending time writing emails about rather than concentrating on our work.

Thanks,

Richard

hello richard,there was no ranting or going off half cocked,when i clicked on REQUEST FOR PHOTO,it said.

WE DONT CHARGE FOR PHOTOS

WE POLITELY SUGGEST A DONATION FOR £5 OR £10 POUNDS,FOR E.MAILED OR POSTED PHOTOS,THIS GOES TOWARD THE COST OF PRINTING.

ime not the brightest bloke around but its quite easy to make a mistake with the way its worded,i mentioned nothing about you selling the pictures on this post,i only told garth what it said on your site and that it was too much for us to pay out,we set up our new manchester regt website to help those with an interest in the regiment,and like you,we have paid out of our own pockets and still are,and like you we do it for nothing but pleasure,we want to add a grave/memorial photo project to the site hence the request,we have no sponsors or volunteers,if we want anything we have to go out and get it ourselves and pay out of our own pockets for it,ime puzzled as to why people are apologising for me,i havent said anything against you or your project,i think your right about going off half cocked and ranting,but it aint coming from this direction,bernard

Bernard

The offer is still open for Manchester photos as I seemed to come across quite a lot on my last Somme visit in July.

Chris C

Bernard

You can have pics of all the thirty-odd Manchesters buried in Sussex if you wish. Send me a PM if you do.

Also, do you know that there is a memorial to the Manchesters down here in East Sussex? - in Ashdown Forest near the village of Forest Row.

I have not seen it myself yet but I am told that it has recently been renovated and commemorates the Manchesters being camped there during WW1.

If you are interested, I'll seek it out and get a photo. It is only five minutes from me!

terry,i didnt know about that memorial,a picture would be brilliant and also the ones in the cemetary,many thanks,bernard

steve,where on earth did you find the trench photo,i cant find anything like that in any of the m/c papers,thanks for both pictures.

we will acknowledge both you and terry under each picture,this is marvelous stuff,bernard

chris c has kindly offered some pictures as well,and a public thank you to him also.

• 4 months later...

G'day all,

I recently travelled with the Navy to Thailand and took a tour of the Bridge on the River Kwai and the Thai-Burma Railway, Hellfire Pass etc. An excellent tour and WWII site if anyone has any interest. It is very well maintained by the CWGC and the Australian Government.

Part of the tour was to Kanchanaburi Cemetery, which I found to my surprise held the graves of many Manchester's, quite a long way from home. Without knowing the full history, I guess these chaps were at the fall of Singapore, and died in labour camps or on the railway itself, as were the many survivors of HMAS Perth.

I have some photo's of some of the graves somewhere if you are interested, I can probably chase some more up from the cemetery itself.

Regards,

Dave

G'day all,

I recently travelled with the Navy to Thailand and took a tour of the Bridge on the River Kwai and the Thai-Burma Railway, Hellfire Pass etc. An excellent tour and WWII site if anyone has any interest. It is very well maintained by the CWGC and the Australian Government.

Part of the tour was to Kanchanaburi Cemetery, which I found to my surprise held the graves of many Manchester's, quite a long way from home. Without knowing the full history, I guess these chaps were at the fall of Singapore, and died in labour camps or on the railway itself, as were the many survivors of HMAS Perth.

I have some photo's of some of the graves somewhere if you are interested, I can probably chase some more up from the cemetery itself.

Regards,

Dave

hiya dave,thanks for the offer of the pictures,we are grateful for any pictures of the manchester regt,regards,bernard

Hi, you mention specifically photos of graves, but if you are looking for pictures of War Memorials, you might find some on the Roll of Honour site, I found one in a quick look at http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lancashire/O...Oddfellows.html

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still looking for photos? Michel Knockaert on here took a pic of William Greenlees' (22601 23rd Btn) grave at the Menin Gate cemetery.

Thank you Barnip for this great link, I recently purchased medals belonging to this dublin soldier in Australia.It was great to find a photo of his grave.Name: QUINN, Patrick Joseph Memorial Scroll

Regiment, Corps etc.: Manchester Regiment

Battalion etc.: 1st Battalion.

Surname: Quinn

Forename(s): Patrick Joseph

Initials: P J

Birthplace: St. Andrew's, Dublin

Enlisted: Dublin

Residence:

Number: 2697

Date died: 26 April 1915

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

He lived at Vershoyle Court , Lower Mount St, in Dublin.

I've got quite a few from various cemeteries.

Send me your e-mail and I'll get them on there way.