Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Edwin Healey – Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest CaptainQuark

Guest CaptainQuark

Please help!

I'm a first-timer at this genealogy business, but I find I have to become good at it very quickly as I'm putting together a family history book on behalf of an important client. One of the family members I'm researching is an Edwin Dyson Healey (1883-1964) of Hull, listed in his marriage certificate as a "General & Shoeing Smith".

A search of the National Archives website reveals that an Edwin D Healey of the Royal Garrison Regiment received a campaign medal.

Can any of the experts on this forum suggest ways of finding out whether these two people are one and the same?

What is the likelihood of a "general & shoeing smith" being posted to an artillery regiment rather than the local East Yorkshire infantry regiment. Presumably (I'm not an expert in WWI miltary history) artillery pieces were still horse-drawn, but would his professional expertise be of any use in maintaining and repairing the artillery pieces themselves?

Also, I have attached the relevant medal card, but there is no indication of which medal was awarded. Any ideas?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me shed some light on this.

CQ

post-14098-1154692159.jpg

Hello CQ

The easy part is the British War and Victory campaign medals were awarded for entry into the theatrs of war after the beginning of 1916.

Although there is a high probability that Edwin D on your MIC is your candidate, you should take nothing for granted. There are at least 8 Edwins in the 1901 census that woould have been eligible for miltary service in the First World War:

http://www.1901censusonline.com/results.as...i=person_search

The only way that you can be absolutely certain that he is your man is by checking to see if the service records have survived in the Burnt Papers at the NA or to check against the 1918 Absent Voters Roll for an entry against his home address.

regards

Mel

Another possibility is whether your Edwin D. Healey's family still have his service medals, which would have his name and service number and unit stamped on the rim.

Ian

Doesn't the note in the remarks column on the MIC indicate that the medals were returned?

Firstly, you say the man was from Hull, do we know when he was from Hull? Was he living there at the outbreak of war etc.

If the MIC is his, the reg number for the RGA does not refer to any of the 3 Hull raised Artillery Batteries but may be a number allocated for those Hull units raised under the aegis of the Humber Garrison or Depot's.

A Shoeing Smith would easily find employ in the RA in either the RFA or RGA.

Roop

Doesn't the note in the remarks column on the MIC indicate that the medals were returned?

Yes, silly me. I even spotted that earlier and then promptly forgot about it. Nothing like being senile....

Ian

Guest CaptainQuark
Firstly, you say the man was from Hull, do we know when he was from Hull? Was he living there at the outbreak of war etc.

Hi Roop,

This is what I know about the man so far:

Born: 24th April, 1883 at 13 St John’s Terrace, Parrott Street, Hull

Married: 24th September, 1902 at The Register Office, Hull

Died: 10th November, 1964 at 599 Inglemire Lane, Hull

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found any records placing him in Hull at the outbreak of the war, but from documents I currently have, I can find no evidence that he ever moved away from Hull.

If he remained in Hull as seems likely he may appear on the various rolls of honour. This may give a clue to his unit too.

Roop