Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Red Cross recipient

Sue Ikin

Please can anyone tell me where to look for some biography for Matron Elsie Philp who was awarded a 2nd class Royal Red Cross on 18 Sptember 1918? The entry in the British Journal of Nusing, Page 194, 28 September 1918 says that she was a matron of a Royal Naval Auxiliary Hospital (Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service). I'm wondering if she's my grandmother.

I have to be able to do this on line as I live in New Zealand.

For those of you who have mentioned Canadian nurses, there's some awards listed for a group of them on the same page.

Thanks

Sue

Hi do you have any more details an initial prehaps? or where she lived. I had a quick look on the archives and could not find a match for Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service, Im not sure if these are online. there is an Elsie who was a VAD and another E Philp who was a matron but in the French red cross. Its an uncommon name so it should not be too hard to research. gareth

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=Score+desc

My grandmother's name was Elsie May Philp. She was born in St Ives in July 1891. As far as I know she lived most of her life in Cornwall/Devon. She met my grandfather in Cornwall in 1921, when she ws engaged in private nursing, and as far as I know that ws the end of her career. I have one photo of her in a standard uniform but she is wearing no medals.

kind regards

Sue

Hi Sue obviously my Scottish ARRC was not the one your looking for. I cant find any others that match. There were some Philps in Edmonton Middlesex but there was no Elsie.

The only other stuff Ive found on Philps is

http://members.tripod.com/~CunninghamC/Bow...HelenDavid.html

but again it seems to be the Scottish branch. Good luck in your Search gareth