Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers died/buried in Tipperary ww1/2

museumtom

Thanks mate. His service record states that prior to re-entering the front, he discharged a round from his rifle into his foot. He subsequently was hospitalised and spent time in Ireland tracking down relatives. It appears that while there he passed away and his records show that a cousin requested that he be privately buried among other (distant) family.

I appreciate the photo very much.

cheers

matt

Its only 15 minutes drive from here and as far as I remember therre were no other Quinane graves around him. I am due holidays within the next two months and will see what I can dig up on him. It was so strange to see an Ozzie war grave at the far end of a desolate graveyard in the middle of nowhere. I will check the newspapers of the time and see if his name appears. Do you know where his relatives lived? If so I can look up the 1901 and 1911 census for them. I often get help from the forum pals and am glad to do the same for others anytime. Just PM me your email addy and when the time comes I will send you whatever I find. Title it Quinane.

Regards.

Tom

Its only 15 minutes drive from here and as far as I remember therre were no other Quinane graves around him. I am due holidays within the next two months and will see what I can dig up on him. It was so strange to see an Ozzie war grave at the far end of a desolate graveyard in the middle of nowhere. I will check the newspapers of the time and see if his name appears. Do you know where his relatives lived? If so I can look up the 1901 and 1911 census for them. I often get help from the forum pals and am glad to do the same for others anytime. Just PM me your email addy and when the time comes I will send you whatever I find. Title it Quinane.

Regards.

Tom

Thanks mate - it seems that he was on furlough in Ireland visiting family when he became ill - it's unclear if it's related to the self-inflicted wound from which he was recovering. The service records state that he was buried privately by his cousin was:

"Mr. James Cahill (cousin)

Holy Cross, Thurloo

Co. Tipperary"

The Quinanes are from County Tiperrary, though it's unclear how he is related to this gentleman. His parents were living back in Victoria, Australia, and we have plenty of records on them. read about him here at the extended family history site (i like the medal discovery):

http://www.quinane.id.au/john236.html

I appreciate any help that you can provide - I'm not sure how to PM? but my gmail email addy is: cispt2

cheers and thanks

matt

The Cahills here in Holycross have died out but they are related to the Hayes. I think they were Cousins. Two of the Hayes died in ww1 and one of the Cahills died in ww1 with the Canadians. I have his records, believe it or not. One of his relations still lives in the village. His name is Martin Hayes. Thurloo as you spell it is really Thurles. Holycross is a little village 5 miles south and is a beautiful place and believe it or not I live there.

Regards.

Tom.

The Cahills here in Holycross have died out but they are related to the Hayes. I think they were Cousins. Two of the Hayes died in ww1 and one of the Cahills died in ww1 with the Canadians. I have his records, believe it or not. One of his relations still lives in the village. His name is Martin Hayes. Thurloo as you spell it is really Thurles. Holycross is a little village 5 miles south and is a beautiful place and believe it or not I live there.

Regards.

Tom.

Mate sometimes it's a bloody small world - I'd happily pore over anything you've got. I'm told that Kinnane and Quinane was interchangeable - I'd love to know the relationship between the two. I've been told a story about this that I'll pass along by email if you contact me on my gmail address: cispt2

cheers!

matt

I was on to the Kinanes up in Gortnahalla and they told me they knocked the remains of the house years ago and nothing remains now. The nearest relative to you is Seamus Kennedy. His mother was a Gortahalla Kinane and he is getting real interested in his genealogy. He said there is a family tree somewhere but he will have to have a look for it. You can email him at seamus@kos.ie Mention my name, Tom Burnell from Gleann Rí. I got John Quinane's military records, they make sad reading. I also got Patrick Joseph Quinanes records. I will eventually get to the Arts Centre in Thurles to access the Newspapers of the time and the census readouts.

Let me know how you get on with Seamus. He's a nice fella and lives in a place called Tobins Cross here in Holycross.

Regards.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
I was on to the Kinanes up in Gortnahalla and they told me they knocked the remains of the house years ago and nothing remains now. The nearest relative to you is Seamus Kennedy. His mother was a Gortahalla Kinane and he is getting real interested in his genealogy. He said there is a family tree somewhere but he will have to have a look for it. You can email him at seamus@kos.ie Mention my name, Tom Burnell from Gleann Rí. I got John Quinane's military records, they make sad reading. I also got Patrick Joseph Quinanes records. I will eventually get to the Arts Centre in Thurles to access the Newspapers of the time and the census readouts.

Let me know how you get on with Seamus. He's a nice fella and lives in a place called Tobins Cross here in Holycross.

Regards.

Tom.

Mate - thanks. I just got this now - for some reason I cant' subscribe to the topic but i'll check it more often from now on. I'm going to email Seamus now and i'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Johns record is indeed a sad one. PJ Quinane was my GGF, and he was John's cousin - you can see PJ's letter in John's record asking after him. PJ lost an eye in Gallipoli - my grandmother tells me using a periscope rifle (though she didn't know that's what it was called) when a sniper bully struck the apparatus, fragmenting a piece into his eye.

cheers!

matt

This was a very sad grave as it sits in a hard to find graveyard outside Borrisoleigh up the mountains. You would pass it if you blinked. Strange to see a ww1 war grave is the middle of nowhere. I am sure the local paper would have something on him if you looked.

Regards.

Tom

Hello,

This is my first post and the location got me interested.

My great uncle, Private Martin Hackett, Royal Munster Fusiliers, died on 21/08/1916 - he has no known grave but is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.

He is shown by the CWGC site as the son of John and Mary Hackett, of Summerhill, Borrisoleigh, Co Tipperary.

His sister, Johanna (Josie) was my grandmother. She married Charles Kinsella, from Swords, Co Dublin (he too lost a brother, Lawrence (Irish Guards), on 01/11/1914).

I just wondered if there were any Hackett graves in that cemetary, and if Martin's name is on any of the gravestones.

Thanks,

Ramondo.

Hello Ramondo,

With all the graveyards in Tipperary I had to visit I kept my headstone viewing to the ones listed on the readout from the CWGC. I only looked at war graves and do not remember any Hacket graves, sorry. However I will ask my boss who lives in the Mountainy area of Borrisoleigh and get back to you.

Matt.

You must also write to Martin Hayes, Graiguenoe, Holycross, Tipperary, Ireland. I told him you might send him a letter. He is related to you via the Cahills and as such you are related to the Armstrongs and also the Hayes. Three of these were Killed in action in ww1, one of them with the Canadians.

Regards.

Tom

Ramondo.

You can write to them , John and Marie Hackett, Summerhill, Borrisoleigh, Co Tipperary, Ireland or phone them at 0504 51886 and take it from there.

Regards.

Tom

Ramondo.

You can write to them , John and Marie Hackett, Summerhill, Borrisoleigh, Co Tipperary, Ireland or phone them at 0504 51886 and take it from there.

Regards.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I should probably ask my mother first if she knows them and what the relationship is (John would be her cousin, I guess)...

• 8 months later...
Guest theresabarham

Hi there, not sure if you are still providing photos, if you are I would be very grateful for a copy of this one from Waterford.

Ballynaneashagh (St. Otteran's) Catholic Cemetery

Dohney, Private Martin, 5471, 3rd Bn. Scots Guards

Thanks for any help

• 4 months later...
Hi there, not sure if you are still providing photos, if you are I would be very grateful for a copy of this one from Waterford.

Dohney, Private Martin, 5471, 3rd Bn. Scots Guards

Thanks for any help

Dohney_M.jpg

Dohney grave, St. Otteran's Cemetery, Waterford.

• 1 month later...
I am just finished taking pictures of headstones of ww1/2 casualties in Tipperary for the British War Memorial Project. If anyone wants a pic of any particular headstone I am happy to oblige.

Regard.

Tom.

Hi Tom

My grand uncle was buried in France in 1915, but lived in Tipperary (Templetoughy and Moyne) before joining the army (Royal Irish Regiment)

I was surprised to see all these military headstones relating to deaths in France during WW1, and thought all the war dead were buried in France.

Do you (or anyone else) know if the British Army gave families the choice to either return the body to Ireland or to leave the body buried in a military cemetary of the army's choice in France.

If the next of kin was given this choice, did the army pay for the transportation back to the next of kin in Ireland, or was this purely down to the families themselves to arrange?

Many thanks in advance

Caroline

Hi, Caroline. I'm sure there will be more authoritative replies, but it is my understanding that only in a few rare cases, generally of very senior or noble families (and at their cost, I understand) were any bodies repatriated, and that only fairly early in the conflict. In the difficulties in the trenches, recovering the body could take some days, plus the logistics (and effect on morale) of returning corpses before they were too badly decomposed became impossible to consider. I think one of the founding principals of the CWGC was that in death all of the fallen gave equally of the greatest sacrifice, which is why all headstones have a common pattern, without rich families having lavish tombs implying their loss was somehow "greater" than a poor widow. Burials "at home" are generally those dying of wounds at hospitals, in accidents, bombings, sinkings or whilst in the homes of relatives, friends etc. There are all sorts of reasons, but generally they were buried near to where they died.

Now leaves for those more knowledgeable to respond!!

Hi, Caroline. I'm sure there will be more authoritative replies, but it is my understanding that only in a few rare cases, generally of very senior or noble families (and at their cost, I understand) were any bodies repatriated, and that only fairly early in the conflict. In the difficulties in the trenches, recovering the body could take some days, plus the logistics (and effect on morale) of returning corpses before they were too badly decomposed became impossible to consider. I think one of the founding principals of the CWGC was that in death all of the fallen gave equally of the greatest sacrifice, which is why all headstones have a common pattern, without rich families having lavish tombs implying their loss was somehow "greater" than a poor widow. Burials "at home" are generally those dying of wounds at hospitals, in accidents, bombings, sinkings or whilst in the homes of relatives, friends etc. There are all sorts of reasons, but generally they were buried near to where they died.

Now leaves for those more knowledgeable to respond!!

Thanks for clarifying this.

I did read somewhere that the British Army felt the soldiers should be buried in the country where they died, but some of the headstones gave me the impression they died in France but were buried in Ireland. I might have read them in a rush and thought they died soon after their injuries or were killed in action, when this could not have been the case.

My grand uncle died approx 10 days after he was wounded and is buried in Bailleul in Nord, which was probably the nearest hospital centre to where he fought in 1915.

He was a private/lance corporal and as a lower level soldier, he shares the same grave as 2 other soldiers, which means his headstone and those around him of the same level, is engraved with the detail of 3 soldiers. The officers such as lietenants and colonels had their own headstone, with an engraving of their regiment badge, and appear to be spaced 1 officer per grave, so the authoritive level & class structure is quite obvious in this particular cemetary and all was not so equal in death. First thoughts are that it was due to lack of space but there is a lot of available space with no graves at all, so this could not have been the main reason.

I have another Irish Grand uncle who after emigrating, fought for the US army. When he was KIA in France, he was initially buried on the side of the road (with co-ordinates given) and then when the war was over, the bodies were reburied in a US military cemetary. After 2 years, the US army decided to reinter the bodies and gave his family the choice to either be buried in Ireland or taken back to the US, either for private burial by other family members or in a US military cemetery. All at no cost to the family. I obtained his burial files (over 100 pages!) so had something to compare with when initially researching the burial of relations in the British Army, who were unfortunately not so accommodating to families nor the records so detailed.

I found it very interesting to compare 2 soldiers, originating from the same area, ending up dying for different countries in the same war and their deaths treated so differently. Both were single men without dependants but the mother of the BA soldier had no choice where he was buried and received no monetary compensation. The mother of the US soldier had the choice to have her son returned home and also received monthly compensation from an army insurance fund, until she died.

Hope these snippets of information prove interesting and useful for others browsing burials.

Regards

Caroline

• 10 months later...

:DThis is a fantastic thing you have done! Only last night I started a search for my great grandfather on behalf of my mother. She has no record of her grandfather, only bits of info told to her by her aunt who has since died. All we knew was that he was buried as a soldier in Mooncoin, Kilkenny. To have a photo of the headstone would be brilliant!!!

Is a photo still available for Noonan, Private Michael, 1605, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.? Thanks for the info if not!

I now have photos for the following burials in Co. Kilkenny

Ballyoskill Catholic Churchyard

Coady, Private John, 9019, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Castlecomer (St. Mary) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Lord, Corporal Frank, 60833. Yorkshire Regiment.

Castlegannon Catholic Churchyard

Ryan, Sapper R, 160891. Royal Engineers.

Columbkille Old Graveyard

Matthews, Private T, 11534. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (174810) Labour Corps.

Minogue, Private Patrick, 3134. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Coon Catholic Churchyard

Aylward, Guardsman Edward, 2255. 3rd Bn. Irish Guards.

Dunmore Catholic Churchyard

Deely, Serjeant John, 2280. 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Ferrybank Catholic Churchyard

Norris, Sergeant (Air Gnr.) James, 1900179. RAF

Foulkstown Catholic Churchyard

Kenealy, Second Lieutenant John William Kiernan, Royal Irish Regiment.

Smithwick, Captain James Arnold, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Glenmore (St. James) Catholic Churchyard

Gaule, Private John, 29019. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Kilkenny (St. Canice) Church Of Ireland Cathedral

McCreery, Captain M J N, 3rd Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Kilkenny (St. John) Catholic Churchyard

Dowling, Private John 6923, Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (364286) Labour Corps.

Dullard, Private James, 8293. 3rd Rn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Flowers, Gunner Jonathon George. 88607. A Bty. 1st Res. Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Loughren, Gunner M, 18816. Royal Garrison Artillery transf. to (Pte. 553054) Labour Corps.

Lynch, Private James, 2G/2780. 2nd (Home Service) Garr. Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilkenny (St. John) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Hyde, Second Lieutenant Leslie Arthur. Royal Horse Artillery.

Willson, Private W T, 822. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Allen, Private, John Irwin. 2313. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Pulham, Private. W, 2284. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Kilkenny (St. Maul's) Graveyard

Meehan, Serjeant (Drummer) C, 7900. 3rd Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Kilkenny (St. Patrick's) Catholic Cemetery

Bourke, Private J. 102328. The King's (Liverpool Regiment).

Cullen, Private James Joseph, L/15524, 1st. Reserve Cavalry Regiment.

Mahoney, Private E,1570. 5th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Ryan, Corporal E,7792. 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilkenny Castle Private Burial Ground

Thurles, Driver James Anthony Butler, T/100775. Royal Army Service Corps.

Note. I think this man was wrongly recorded by the CWGC. He was the son of the Marquess of Ormonde and his title was Viscount Thurles. His actual name was James Anthony Butler.

Kilkenny New Cemetery

Kavanagh, Serjeant James, 4295. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Tobin, Private James, 2860. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilmacow Catholic Churchyard

Kavanagh, Stoker 2nd Class Peter. D/KX 104020. H.M.S. "Cabot".

Kilmanagh Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Harris, Aircraftman 2nd Class,William Fergus, 1571969.

Knocktopher (Old Abbey) Graveyard

O'Connor, Staff Serjeant T J, 45973. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Mallardstown (Whitechurch) Cemetery

Roache, Private Patrick, 3345. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (412977) Labour Corps.

Mooncoin Catholic Cemetery

Noonan, Private Michael, 1605. 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Owning Catholic Churchyard

Flynn, Private John, 8786. 2nd Garr. Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Slieverue Catholic Churchyard

O'Brien, Stoker Daniel, 400V. H.M.S. "Drake".

Thomastown New Catholic Cemetery

Ambrose, Surgeon Charles Going. S.S. Princesa (Liverpool).

Urlingford Old Graveyard

Bannon, Private J. 4483. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

He will be in 'The Waterford War Dead' coming out next year.

NOONAN, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: listed as 2nd Garrison Battalion and Depot. Age at death; 32. Date of Death: 11-December-1917. Service No: 1605. Enlisted in Liverpool while living in Waterford. Died at home. Previously he was with the Royal Irish Fusiliers where his number was G/1287. Supplementary information; Husband of Mary Noonan, of 140, Barrack St, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: Near South boundary. Cemetery: Regina Caeli Cemetery, Mooncoin, County Kilkenny.

Regards.

Tom.

NOONAN, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: listed as 2nd Garrison Battalion and Depot. Age at death; 32. Date of Death: 11-December-1917. Service No: 1605. Enlisted in Liverpool while living in Waterford. Died at home. Previously he was with the Royal Irish Fusiliers where his number was G/1287. Supplementary information; Husband of Mary Noonan, of 140, Barrack St, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: Near South boundary. Cemetery: Regina Caeli Cemetery, Mooncoin, County Kilkenny.

Regards.

Tom.

:D Thank you soooooooooo much for this info, it is spot on and my mother was delighted with your help also!!

Glad to help. If you have a photo of Michael Noonan and would like to add it to the Waterford book there is still time. You will be credited for it. P.M.me.

It is my earnest hope that all the Irishmen who died in ww1 will be remembered in County Books by 2014. They have been ignored for far too long. The Kilkenny book has already been started by two Waterford men and will be available early next year. The Cork one (3,700 men) should be out withing the next 8 weeks. The Wexford Book will be published in November. The Offaly book will be published in February. The waterford book should be out in the middle of next year. The Wicklow, Louth, Galway and Tipperary books are already out. Does anyone know any others?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Glad to help. If you have a photo of Michael Noonan and would like to add it to the Waterford book there is still time. You will be credited for it. P.M.me.

It is my earnest hope that all the Irishmen who died in ww1 will be remembered in County Books by 2014. They have been ignored for far too long. The Kilkenny book has already been started by two Waterford men and will be available early next year. The Cork one (3,700 men) should be out withing the next 8 weeks. The Wexford Book will be published in November. The Offaly book will be published in February. The waterford book should be out in the middle of next year. The Wicklow, Louth, Galway and Tipperary books are already out. Does anyone know any others?

Kind regards.

Tom.

:)Tom, I have a photo of Michael out of uniform, I will try to get one of him in uniform for the book. This may take a while to locate; what is your deadline for receiving images for the Waterford book? I will do my best to locate one as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Melissa.

You have plenty of time. It will be published next year.

Regards.

Tom.

• 4 months later...
I've done the same for Co. Waterford so if anybody wants a copy of any of the following let me know.

Affane Old Church Of Ireland Churchyard

O'Keefe, Private William, 5595, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

O'Neill, Driver Thomas, T4/043381, Army Service Corps.

Ballinakill Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Clarke, Wren Margaret Marion, 10257, H.M.S. Caroline. Women's Royal Naval Service.

Ballygunner (St. Mary) Catholic Churchyard

Clarke, Serjeant William, 5449, 3rd Bn. Connaught Rangers.

Hennessy, Private Arthur, 3967273, 15th Bn. Welch Regiment.

Madigan, Gunner J, 275594, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Barry, Gunner Thomas James, 1779239, 282 Bty. 88 H.A.A. Regt. Royal Artillery.

Dohney, Private Martin, 5471, 3rd Bn. Scots Guards.

Fitzgerald, Private M, 140437, 47th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

Hanrahan, Private J, 49045, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

McCarthy, Air Mechanic 3rd Class William, 285603. RAF.

McGrath, Private J, 6787, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Parker, Chief Officer E C. HM Coastguard.

Power, Private Edward, 6574, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Power, Private Michael, 1991, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Price, Gunner Arthur, 3963506, 6 Bty. 3 Maritime Regt. Royal Artillery.

Robinson, Gunner John, 282281, Depot M.H. Bde. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Shaw, Private Thomas, 5406, 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Butlerstown (St. Ann) Catholic Churchyard

Geoghegan,Gunner William, 88469, 48th Bty. Royal Field Artillery transf. to (Pte. 411041) 787th Area Employment Coy. Labour Corps.

Clashmore Old Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Kett, Private William G/19510, 3rd Garrison Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Corbally Catholic Churchyard

Sweeney, Stoker John 5337. H.M.S. "Vivid." Royal Navy

Crooke Old Graveyard

Heron, Able Seaman M. H.H.S. Eaglet. Mercantile Marine

Dungarvan (Ballinroad) Catholic Graveyard

Veale, Petty Officer Stoker Michael, 295061(Dev). H.M.S. "Vivid". Royal Navy

Dungarvan (St. Mary) Catholic Churchyard

Hurley, Private James, 4932. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Keane, Leading Seaman Patrick, D/213132. Royal Navy

Faithlegg Catholic Churchyard

Daly, Private J, 32461, 1st Garrison Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment.

Fenor Catholic Churchyard

Flynn, Able Seaman Richard, S.S. Orama (Barrow). Merchant Navy.

Sheehan, Private P, 88773. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Kilcreggane Graveyard

Doocey, Private James, 13122484, Pioneer Corps.

Morrissey, Private James, 10438, 3rd Bn. Irish Guards.

Kilgobnet Catholic Churchyard

Dalton, Private Thomas, 6589, 2nd Garrison Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Killea (Holy Cross) Catholic Churchyard

Croke, Aircraftman 1st Class Martin, 288203, Royal Air Force.

Lismore Old Catholic Cemetery

Hickey, Gunner Patrick J. 40551. 187th Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Newtown (All Saints) Catholic Churchyard

O'Callaghan, Stewardess Anne. S.S. Formby. Mercantile Marine

Phelan, Sergeant (Pilot), Robert, 1335220, Royal Air Force

Portlaw (St. Patrick) Catholic Churchyard

Power, Gunner William, 5899, 6th Reserve Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Pulla Graveyard

Jacobs, Engineman George Richard, 1239/S (Ch.) H.M. Trawler "Bradford."Royal Navy

Ringville Catholic Churchyard

Kelly, Private J T1/3908. H.T. Royal Army Service Corps.

Stradbally Catholic Churchyard

Power, Nursing Sister Mary Catherine, Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service.

Tallow Catholic Graveyard

Prendergast, Gunner C. 40313. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Tramore (Christ Church) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Develin Sergeant (Air Gnr.) Robert Charles 1901902 Royal Air Force

Tramore (Holy Cross) Catholic Churchyard

Raher, Stoker William. 5991. H.M.S. "Vivid." Royal Navy.

Waterford Protestant Cemetery

Carew, Colonel Robert Thomas, Leinster Regiment.

Nash, Private Christopher, GS/4710. 9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers.

Scrowston, Private John Edward Briggs, 51139, 2nd/1st. East Riding Yeomanry.

Shepherd, Deck Hand Edward Holiburton Symers, 13423DA, H.M.S. "Colleen".

Whitechurch Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Hurley, Private Patrick, 9/5679, 2nd Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers.

I still have a few to photograph in St. Otteran's if I ever find them. :(

Hi Tom,

I have not been a member of the Forum for very long and unsure what I am doing, so please forgive me if this is sent to the wrong place / person.

Do you still have copies, and can you still supply pictures of a particular cemetery and grave? If possible I would very much appreciate a copy of the following.

Waterford Protestant Cemetery and the grave of GS/4710 Private Christopher Nash 9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers

My apologies for asking if you no longer have these

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave

I did not take photographs of the Waterford Graves but here is his information from the upcoming book, enjoy.

Regards.

Tom.

NASH, CHRISTOPHER. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. Unit;

9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers, also listed as (Old) 7th Reserve Cavalry Regiment (9th and 21st lancers. . Date of Death: 07/January/19 16. Service No: GS/4710.

Born in Notting Hill in Middlesex. Enlisted in Hammersmith while living in Fulham, S.W. Died at home.

Waterford News. January, 1916.

Military Funeral.

The remains of the late Private C Nash, 19th Lancers, a native of Notting Hill, Middlesex, who died suddenly at the Military Barracks, Waterford on last Friday, were interred in the Cemetery, John’s Hill, on Tuesday with full military honours. The coffin borne on an open hearse, was wrapped in a Union Jack, and deceased’s charger was led after the hearse. The hearse was preceded by a firing party and the band, which played the Dead March, and as followed by Lieut-Colonel Tristram, Lieutenat Henderson, and guard of soldiers. A volley was fired over the grave, and th “Last Post” sounded. The Very Reverend Dean Day and the Rev Mr Jackson conducted the burial service.

A Soldier’s Sudden Death.

An Inquest was held at the Military Barracks on Saturday by Dr George I.Mackesy, J.P., deputy Cororer, and a jury of which Mr R.C. Curtis was foreman touching the death of Christopher Nash, a private in the 9th Lancers, who died suddenly on Friday afternoon.

Dr Alex Stewart deposed—I did not see the deceased at the hospital yesterday; I was gone when he came; I have seen and examined the body to-day at the morgue; from what I saw and the evidence I have heard I am of the opinion that deceased was suffering from acute gastritis, and on getting up to go from his room he got a sudden attack of syncope and that is the cause of death. There were no external marks on the body.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

Grave or Memorial Reference: 224. Cemetery: Waterford Catholic Cemetery, County Waterford.

• 1 month later...

Regards.

Tom.

You have plenty of time. It will be published next year.

Regards.

Tom.

:mellow: Is it too late to supply you with the photo of Michael Noonan for your book? If so, my sincere apologies for the delay as we only came across it very recently.