Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers died/buried in Tipperary ww1/2

museumtom

I am just finished taking pictures of headstones of ww1/2 casualties in Tipperary for the British War Memorial Project. If anyone wants a pic of any particular headstone I am happy to oblige.

Regard.

Tom.

Tom

do you have a list of the cemeterys please

Chris

Tom

TIPPERARY (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD Eire County Tipperary APPLEYARD Private HERBERT 121479 Royal Army Medical Corps. Army 30th October 1917. Age 37. Son of Francis and Elizabeth Appleyard; husband of Annie Appleyard of 8 Cross St. Morley Leeds Old Mil. Plot West of church

If possible may I have this chap please - do you have any objection if I use the photo on the Roll of Honour medical database - full credit will be given of course. Will PM you my email

Chris

Its in your mailbox now. The grave is in a beautiful setting among about 7 others in front of the church. It is a Protestant Church and graveyard and is kept immaculately. It is just beyond the main street in Tipperary Town on the Limerick road and on the right about 20 yards from the road turning.

Use it with my blessing.

Regards.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

Would you be able to send me a photo of the grave of Sgt Somers V.C. Modreeny C of I Churchyard Tipp and would you have a shot of the Churchyard itself. I had him on file from another source but a power failure while using my computer led to a loss of a lot of material before i backed it up. I am doing something similar here in Cork in trying to photograph the headstones of the soldiers buried in the area so if you need anything in return please let me know.

Regards,

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
I am just finished taking pictures of headstones of ww1/2 casualties in Tipperary for the British War Memorial Project. If anyone wants a pic of any particular headstone I am happy to oblige.

Regard.

Tom.

I've done the same for Co. Waterford so if anybody wants a copy of any of the following let me know.

Affane Old Church Of Ireland Churchyard

O'Keefe, Private William, 5595, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

O'Neill, Driver Thomas, T4/043381, Army Service Corps.

Ballinakill Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Clarke, Wren Margaret Marion, 10257, H.M.S. Caroline. Women's Royal Naval Service.

Ballygunner (St. Mary) Catholic Churchyard

Clarke, Serjeant William, 5449, 3rd Bn. Connaught Rangers.

Hennessy, Private Arthur, 3967273, 15th Bn. Welch Regiment.

Madigan, Gunner J, 275594, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Ballynaneashagh (St. Otteran's) Catholic Cemetery

Barry, Gunner Thomas James, 1779239, 282 Bty. 88 H.A.A. Regt. Royal Artillery.

Dohney, Private Martin, 5471, 3rd Bn. Scots Guards.

Fitzgerald, Private M, 140437, 47th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

Hanrahan, Private J, 49045, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

McCarthy, Air Mechanic 3rd Class William, 285603. RAF.

McGrath, Private J, 6787, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Parker, Chief Officer E C. HM Coastguard.

Power, Private Edward, 6574, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Power, Private Michael, 1991, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Price, Gunner Arthur, 3963506, 6 Bty. 3 Maritime Regt. Royal Artillery.

Robinson, Gunner John, 282281, Depot M.H. Bde. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Shaw, Private Thomas, 5406, 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Butlerstown (St. Ann) Catholic Churchyard

Geoghegan,Gunner William, 88469, 48th Bty. Royal Field Artillery transf. to (Pte. 411041) 787th Area Employment Coy. Labour Corps.

Clashmore Old Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Kett, Private William G/19510, 3rd Garrison Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Corbally Catholic Churchyard

Sweeney, Stoker John 5337. H.M.S. "Vivid." Royal Navy

Crooke Old Graveyard

Heron, Able Seaman M. H.H.S. Eaglet. Mercantile Marine

Dungarvan (Ballinroad) Catholic Graveyard

Veale, Petty Officer Stoker Michael, 295061(Dev). H.M.S. "Vivid". Royal Navy

Dungarvan (St. Mary) Catholic Churchyard

Hurley, Private James, 4932. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Keane, Leading Seaman Patrick, D/213132. Royal Navy

Faithlegg Catholic Churchyard

Daly, Private J, 32461, 1st Garrison Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment.

Fenor Catholic Churchyard

Flynn, Able Seaman Richard, S.S. Orama (Barrow). Merchant Navy.

Sheehan, Private P, 88773. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Kilcreggane Graveyard

Doocey, Private James, 13122484, Pioneer Corps.

Morrissey, Private James, 10438, 3rd Bn. Irish Guards.

Kilgobnet Catholic Churchyard

Dalton, Private Thomas, 6589, 2nd Garrison Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Killea (Holy Cross) Catholic Churchyard

Croke, Aircraftman 1st Class Martin, 288203, Royal Air Force.

Lismore Old Catholic Cemetery

Hickey, Gunner Patrick J. 40551. 187th Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Newtown (All Saints) Catholic Churchyard

O'Callaghan, Stewardess Anne. S.S. Formby. Mercantile Marine

Phelan, Sergeant (Pilot), Robert, 1335220, Royal Air Force

Portlaw (St. Patrick) Catholic Churchyard

Power, Gunner William, 5899, 6th Reserve Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Pulla Graveyard

Jacobs, Engineman George Richard, 1239/S (Ch.) H.M. Trawler "Bradford."Royal Navy

Ringville Catholic Churchyard

Kelly, Private J T1/3908. H.T. Royal Army Service Corps.

Stradbally Catholic Churchyard

Power, Nursing Sister Mary Catherine, Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service.

Tallow Catholic Graveyard

Prendergast, Gunner C. 40313. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Tramore (Christ Church) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Develin Sergeant (Air Gnr.) Robert Charles 1901902 Royal Air Force

Tramore (Holy Cross) Catholic Churchyard

Raher, Stoker William. 5991. H.M.S. "Vivid." Royal Navy.

Waterford Protestant Cemetery

Carew, Colonel Robert Thomas, Leinster Regiment.

Nash, Private Christopher, GS/4710. 9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers.

Scrowston, Private John Edward Briggs, 51139, 2nd/1st. East Riding Yeomanry.

Shepherd, Deck Hand Edward Holiburton Symers, 13423DA, H.M.S. "Colleen".

Whitechurch Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Hurley, Private Patrick, 9/5679, 2nd Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers.

I still have a few to photograph in St. Otteran's if I ever find them. :(

Hi Tom. My grandfather is GOULD, No 43106, buried in Clonmel (St Patrick's) Cemetary . I'd be very grateful for a photo of the headstone please.

By the way, what is the British War Memorial Project?

Regards

Derek

In St Patricks the are 23 War graves/burials. The total amount of CWGC headstones still existing is 6 from those 23. I went to great pain and effort to find all the existing ones but Your Gould headstone is not there. The BWMP is a group of people who try to get a picture of all the CWGC headstones in the world and make them available on their database to anyone who is interested. I took the County of Tipperary to photograph.

Sorry.

regards.

Tom.

In St Patricks the are 23 War graves/burials. The total amount of CWGC headstones still existing is 6 from those 23. I went to great pain and effort to find all the existing ones but Your Gould headstone is not there. The BWMP is a group of people who try to get a picture of all the CWGC headstones in the world and make them available on their database to anyone who is interested. I took the County of Tipperary to photograph.

Sorry.

regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom.......I know my grandfathers gravestone exists because I took a photograph of it eight weeks ago, but the photograph turned out to be of poor quality and I had to discard it. I counted rather more than six CWGC gravestones when I was there. Over twenty I think. Trouble is, they're scattered all over the place and some are in remote places. A chum in Eire has just provided me with an excellent photo of my grandad's gravestone. Can I send you a copy for your project?

Regards

Derek Phipps

Most certainly, please do. I spent two hours in that Cemetery. Maybe I am mixing it with another, but I do know that I have not his headstone as the ones I collected I saved in alphabetical order.

Regards.

Tom.

Hello All,

I have all (bar one) of the County Clare graves photographed for the BWMP. If anyone is interested in a particular grave let me know.

Regards,

Liam

Tom,

It's clear from the length of your list that it's a long way round Tipperary too. :)

Congratulations and thanks to you, Paddy and Liam.

Mick

Most certainly, please do. I spent two hours in that Cemetery. Maybe I am mixing it with another, but I do know that I have not his headstone as the ones I collected I saved in alphabetical order.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom....as promised. Headstone of A E Gould in plot 4.BB.115.

Regards

Derek Phipps

post-16313-1164370365.jpg

A grand clear crisp picture, I will forward it to the BWMP.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Tom.

• 4 weeks later...

I now have photos for the following burials in Co. Kilkenny

Ballyoskill Catholic Churchyard

Coady, Private John, 9019, 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Castlecomer (St. Mary) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Lord, Corporal Frank, 60833. Yorkshire Regiment.

Castlegannon Catholic Churchyard

Ryan, Sapper R, 160891. Royal Engineers.

Columbkille Old Graveyard

Matthews, Private T, 11534. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (174810) Labour Corps.

Minogue, Private Patrick, 3134. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Coon Catholic Churchyard

Aylward, Guardsman Edward, 2255. 3rd Bn. Irish Guards.

Dunmore Catholic Churchyard

Deely, Serjeant John, 2280. 3rd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Ferrybank Catholic Churchyard

Norris, Sergeant (Air Gnr.) James, 1900179. RAF

Foulkstown Catholic Churchyard

Kenealy, Second Lieutenant John William Kiernan, Royal Irish Regiment.

Smithwick, Captain James Arnold, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Glenmore (St. James) Catholic Churchyard

Gaule, Private John, 29019. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

Kilkenny (St. Canice) Church Of Ireland Cathedral

McCreery, Captain M J N, 3rd Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Kilkenny (St. John) Catholic Churchyard

Dowling, Private John 6923, Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (364286) Labour Corps.

Dullard, Private James, 8293. 3rd Rn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Flowers, Gunner Jonathon George. 88607. A Bty. 1st Res. Bde. Royal Field Artillery.

Loughren, Gunner M, 18816. Royal Garrison Artillery transf. to (Pte. 553054) Labour Corps.

Lynch, Private James, 2G/2780. 2nd (Home Service) Garr. Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilkenny (St. John) Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Hyde, Second Lieutenant Leslie Arthur. Royal Horse Artillery.

Willson, Private W T, 822. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Allen, Private, John Irwin. 2313. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Pulham, Private. W, 2284. 2nd King Edward's Horse.

Kilkenny (St. Maul's) Graveyard

Meehan, Serjeant (Drummer) C, 7900. 3rd Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Kilkenny (St. Patrick's) Catholic Cemetery

Bourke, Private J. 102328. The King's (Liverpool Regiment).

Cullen, Private James Joseph, L/15524, 1st. Reserve Cavalry Regiment.

Mahoney, Private E,1570. 5th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Ryan, Corporal E,7792. 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilkenny Castle Private Burial Ground

Thurles, Driver James Anthony Butler, T/100775. Royal Army Service Corps.

Note. I think this man was wrongly recorded by the CWGC. He was the son of the Marquess of Ormonde and his title was Viscount Thurles. His actual name was James Anthony Butler.

Kilkenny New Cemetery

Kavanagh, Serjeant James, 4295. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Tobin, Private James, 2860. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Kilmacow Catholic Churchyard

Kavanagh, Stoker 2nd Class Peter. D/KX 104020. H.M.S. "Cabot".

Kilmanagh Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Harris, Aircraftman 2nd Class,William Fergus, 1571969.

Knocktopher (Old Abbey) Graveyard

O'Connor, Staff Serjeant T J, 45973. Royal Garrison Artillery.

Mallardstown (Whitechurch) Cemetery

Roache, Private Patrick, 3345. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment transf. to (412977) Labour Corps.

Mooncoin Catholic Cemetery

Noonan, Private Michael, 1605. 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Owning Catholic Churchyard

Flynn, Private John, 8786. 2nd Garr. Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Slieverue Catholic Churchyard

O'Brien, Stoker Daniel, 400V. H.M.S. "Drake".

Thomastown New Catholic Cemetery

Ambrose, Surgeon Charles Going. S.S. Princesa (Liverpool).

Urlingford Old Graveyard

Bannon, Private J. 4483. 4th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment.

Hi Guys: You are doing magnificent work. Congratulations. I have chronicilled all the Mayo soldiers who died in World War 1 (over 1,000) and all soldiers who were mentioned in passing in the four Mayo newspapers at that time; as many as I could find in the Canadian and Australian armies, plus a wealth of information from the British Legion papers that are held here in Ballina, Co. Mayo, plus numerous stories and poetry, and all are contained in the newly published book "Mayo Comrades of The Great War". This book also includes the headstones of those few who died shortly after returning home and the plaques and namesplates that adorn some of the churches around Mayo. A truly fitting monument to the men of Mayo. P. J. Clarke, Ballina, Co. Mayo

Congratulations PJ,

The more information on paper for circulation the longer they will be remembered.

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Regard.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

Have you included the 5th Earl of Rosse as a casualty in your project?.

I say this because on a trip to Tipperary in March,I tried to locate his grave which lies in Birr Old Churchyard.

I found the churchyard in a state of disrepair.It is surrounded by buildings and a section of wall mounted by high railings.The large iron gate was padlocked and the cemetery was impossible to enter.

I enquired about the cemetery at Birr Castle and was told it was under renovation.I am wondering if the cemetery renovation has been completed.

The 5th Earl of Rosse was a member of Parsons family that have resided at Birr Castle for centuries.The family was renowned for scientific achievement in astronomy and mechanical invention.Charles A Parsons is well known to mechanical engineers for his invention of the reaction steam turbine first utilised in HMS Turbina and which also replaced the reciprocal engine in power generation and ship propulsion.

The 5th Earl of Rosse died in service as a Major on 10 June 1918.Did he die on account of war service overseas and his remains repatriated to Birr or did he die at home in Birr.? I have not been able to ascertain this. His unit is not listed on his CWGC record.

Regards

Frank.

First of all I did no compile the list of headstones to be photographed and as far as I know the list was formulated with the help of the CWGC. You say that he is not on the CWGC register, I can tell you he is not in Officers died in the great war, he is not in Irelands memorial records and he is not in De Ruvigneys Roll of honour either. It would have helped if you posted his name and not just his title. I found him with a google search though. His death was reported in the Worksop Guardian on 14th June 1918 and provides a brief obituary. On the 21st of June the same paper give a report of his burial and a list of the mourners so it should also say where he is buried.

On the 28th of May 1915 another paper gives a report of his wounding. You can source these articles in 'Catalogue of miscellaneous papers in the Newcastle (Clumber) Collection (1st deposit)'. Start here;

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/online/onl...isc_part_2.html

Why he is not listed is unknown to me.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom,

The 5th Earl of Rosse is included in the CWGC Register as "Rosse 5th Earl of".What is not included is the unit he served with.Strange that against Regiment in the "on line" CWGC Register is "Alias" which has no real meaning other than he may have served as Parsons,his family name with the initials W.E.

He is buried at Birr Old Churchyard or Birr Old Graveyard as referred to be the CWGC.Apart from the CWGC record I did ascertain this and its location from Birr Castle after I was unable to locate the cemetery. I was then surprised to find the cemetery in a complete state of disrepair with any access denied to visit his grave.

The Earl of Rosses also had a country seat at Womersley near Pontefract and must also have been linked to the Dukes of Newcastle family who I believe once resided at Clumber Park which is close to Worksop and now a part of the National Trust.In the past,this part of North Nottinghamshire was the home of the landed gentry with an abundance of estates such that it used to be referred to as "The Dukeries"

Thank you for the Clumber reference which I will follow up.

Regards

Frank

The 5th Earl of Rosse.

Rudyard Kipling's, "The Irish Guards in the Great War" shows the Earl serving with the 1st Battalion in France from 1915.The command structure of the battalion,three weeks before the Battle of Festubert shows him to be a Major and second in command to Major the Hon J.F Trefusis.He joined the battalion in early spring 1915 after a transfer from the Scot Guards and was involved in the operations in the Laventie and Richebourg areas

On 15 May 1915 the battalion was involved in a general thrust from Richebourg by the Rue du Bois as far south as Festubert by night.On 18 May 1915, during a period of heavy rain the preliminary bombardment of the Cour l'Avoine Farm which was to be the battalion's objective was posponed for lack of light.Sheltering in shallow trenches, awaiting orders and close to their objective, the battalion came under severe long range German shelling resulting in heavy losses.

At the end of the bombardment the battalion suffered 22 men dead,284 wounded and 86 missing.The Earl of Rosse was reported to have received severe head injuries caused by a shell splinter.After receiving a further 10 casualties from a resumption in shelling the battalion returned to their bivouacs near Le Touret for a hot meal and a round of rum ration to await reinforcements.

There is no further mention of the Earl's involvement with the battalion.On account of his injuries he may have been invalided out of military service.Hence his grave in Birr Old Graveyard opposite his seat of Birr Castle.

The CWGC gives his death as 10 June 1918 while Kipling records the date of death as 15 June 1918.

The Earl married into the Pelham-Clinton-Hope family,the Dukes of Newcastle whose seat was at Clumber Park, hence his reference in the archives maintained in Nottingham.

Regard.

Tom.

Tom

Just caught up with your post, are the following still available please?

CAHIR (ST. MARY'S) CEMETERY Eire County Tipperary MULLINGER Private ISABELLA W/102620 Auxiliary Territorial Service. Army 7th May 1945. Age 37. Daughter of George and Josephine Mullinger

MODREENY CHURCH OF IRELAND CHURCHYARD Eire County Tipperary SOMERS Serjeant JAMES M/39117 Army Service Corps late (10512) 1st Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Army V C 7th May 1918. Age 24. Son of R. W. Somers of

Tony

I've done the same for Co. Waterford so if anybody wants a copy of any of the following let me know.

Paddy

Are the following still available please?

Ballinakill Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Clarke, Wren Margaret Marion, 10257, H.M.S. Caroline. Women's Royal Naval Service.

Stradbally Catholic Churchyard

Power, Nursing Sister Mary Catherine, Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service.

Tony

Hello All,

I have all (bar one) of the County Clare graves photographed for the BWMP. If anyone is interested in a particular grave let me know.

Regards,

Liam

Liam

I do not have any in my records that I can identify but if it is not inconvenient and you can identify any female casualties I would be grateful.

Regards, Tony

This is the second time I have been asked for Sgt Somers VC.

I have posted the picture here;

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clond..._J_VC_10512.jpg

Isabella Mullinger is here;

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clond...lla_W102620.jpg

Enjoy.

Tom.