Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28983 Pte Joseph Lancaster KOYLI and brother

Codders

Hi,

I have just received information on my cousin Joseph (from his AB64) which is somewhat puzzling.

According to the Will he signed on 6 Jul 1916 in his AB64 he was serving with B Coy 1st Garrison Battalion KOYLI. I know this battalion was formed in Feb 1916 and remained in England until it was sent to Ireland in May 1918.

Family legend had it that he and his brother Thomas Lancaster both signed up the same day in 1914 and joined the Tyneside Scottish (Northumberland Fusiliers). In fact on the birth certificate of one of his children in 1915 Thomas's occupation is listed as Private Tyneside Scottish. Josephs attestation date is shown as 2 Sep 1914 in his AB64. Thomas and Joseph were both born in Eltringham Northumberland but are believed to have been living in Ryton when they attested.

I have searched everywhere I can think of and have come up with ZIP. I have checked John Sheenes book on the Tyneside Scottish and there is nothing there either. Both of them lived through the war

If anyone can thrown any light on the brothers I would be extremely grateful

John

On looking at the AB64 again the Coy he served with was B not R (Having served 27 years myself should have realised that R Coy was a bit suspect)

Also I thought that the information in the AB64 had been entered in by a Capt Stallingboro, but thinking again might not the Bn be actually stationed in Stallingboro.