Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Uniform is this?

HouseDog

UPDATE: Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future - I've discovered that the picture below is not Cyril Stacey Williams, born in Cardiff in 1891.

Hello,

My first post here!

I've attached a photo of my Grandfather; Cyril Stacey Williams, born in Cardiff in 1891.

Can anyone tell from the photo, what unit and what rank Cyril may have been in?

Could he have been with the Welsh Fusiliers or the South Wales Borderers in Higham Ferrers?

I know from Cyril’s marriage certificate that he got married in Higham Ferrers in 1916 to a Doris Elizabeth Robinson - who was living in Higham Ferrers.

Cyril’s wedding was witnessed by a Harry Oakley Davies - who I believe from GRO records may have been born cira 1876. There may also be some location connection with Northampton and Irthlingborough, which is a stones throw from Higham Ferrers.

After his marriage in 1916, nothing is known in the family about what happened to Cyril?

Any help to trace Cyril's story would be truly appreciated.

Regards

HD

post-13971-1154446510.jpg

Hi HD and welcome to the forum.

He appears to me to be a lance-corporal in the Royal Army Medical Corps. (See the red cross badge on his arm?)

Cheers,

Ian

Hello

welcome to the forum

The place you lived often has no bearing on the Regiment joined - or he could have moved regiments during the war

A quick look at men from Higham on soldiers died shows a smattering of regiments - inc a chap in the RWFus from Flint originally

Ian

Ian and Ian thank you for your replies .. it looks like I have a much better chance of searching in the right place for Cyril Stacey Williams now ..

However, I still need to find out how and where I search for his records?

Regards

HD

Clicking on the parent site - 'The Long, Long Trail' will help. Then come back to the forum with any questions.

Cheers,

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hello ..

I have an update - the person in the photo I posted is not Cyril Stacey Williams as I first thought.

However, now I really need to find away of tracing the soldier in the photo!

I know his surname was: Lawson, (I don't have a first name).

He was at some point a Lance-Corporal in the Royal Army Medical Corps

He was alive in November 1923

He may have been in Higham Ferrers, Irthlingborough or surrounding areas or Northampton in 1923.

Any suggestions welcome!

HD :wacko:

HD

If there is a Higham Ferrers/ Nothampton connection then it would be worthwhile your contacting the Northants Records Office to establish if they have the Absent Voters List for HF/Northampton.

I know that they have the one for the Kettering constituency.

Regards

Mel

HD

If there is a Higham Ferrers/ Nothampton connection then it would be worthwhile your contacting the Northants Records Office to establish if they have the Absent Voters List for HF/Northampton.

I know that they have the one for the Kettering constituency.

Regards

Mel

I agree its a V tall order .. but I have time to search.

I don't know too much about the Royal Army Medical Corps or how army ranks are organised.

Am I correct in thinking that a Lance-Corporal is the lowest ranking non-commissioned officer and is thus a rank between a Private and Corporal?

So, therefore I would be looking for a record of a 'Lawson' who would not be a private, but would at least be a Lance-Corporal .. but what would the higest rank he could of attained be? ie: Could he have become an officer?

I'm goining to have a look at the absent voting records as you suggested and see what I can find.

Anymore suggestions very welcome.

Regards

HD

Sorry more questions than answers

Would the riding accoutrements suggest a field ambulance driver?

Those RAMC men were attached to battalions/artillery brigades for water purposes would they assume the dress conventions of those units so would RAMC men attached to an RFA brigade where the uniform of a mounted unit?

Gunboat,

It will be hard to draw conclusions based on the pantaloons.

Although it may indicate a man in a Cavalry Field Ambulance or a driver in a Field Ambulance.

Most RAMC attachments to other type units included at least one driver.

Each RAMC section in an Infantry Battalion still had one detailed as driver for the maltese cart. Therefore pantaloons worn in instead of trousers.

Not taking into account pantaloons were always drawn in excess of those who actually were authorized to wear. In at least the BEF, MEF and Army In Salonika repeated GROs were issued to stop this practice (an indication of continued practice)

Joe Sweeney

HD

That is a pretty tall order!

There are 130 MICs for Lawsons in the RAMC:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Even if you eliminate officers and CWGC casualties, you will still be left with too many possibles.

Regards

Mel

I can see the 130 MIC records, is it known how accurate this index is? Would the 130 be all the people with the surname Lawson or would there be more who for some reason have not been listed?

• 1 year later...

Hello again .. I see the MIC cards have now been scanned and are on Ancestry.co.uk

So I should be able to look through the 100 or so RAMC personnel who have 'Lawson' as their surname - and possible find a 'Lawson' who's a RAMC Lance Corporal - :huh:

Question: How would a Lance Corporal be written / initialled on the MIC cards?

example:

WW1-MIC_Card.gif

Can someone also tell be what the x with dots means?

Kind regards,

HD

They are a note to the stamper which rank/unit/number to use.