Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Regiment of Artillery

gem22

I've just added the History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914 - 1918 to my collection. If anyone needs anything looking up please ask.

Garth

Garth.

Any mention of "F" Battery, 14th Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery (7th Division) on and around 14th November 1914?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

It would appear that it was 'all quiet on the western front' at that point. The first battle of Ypres had finished and the armies were girding their loins ready for spring.

'F' Battery gets an occasional mention but not for that week.

Any more queries let me know.

While I'm at it can I give you a gentle nudge about the info you were going to look up for me.

Cheers

Garth

Can you shed any light on 170 (county Palatine) Bde RFA. Where did it come from, what were its constituent batteries etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

While I'm at it can I give you a gentle nudge about the info you were going to look up for me.

Glad you did that Garth. I'd all but forgotten! :unsure: I'll sort it out over the weekend.

Thanks for looking for me.

Dave.

Can you shed any light on 170 (county Palatine) Bde RFA. Where did it come from, what were its constituent batteries etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

Chris' mother site records it as having been raised in Lytham St Annes and was then attached to 31st Division. Interesting, though, as Lytham is in Lancashire and the reference to "County Palatine" in the North West usually refers to Cheshire.

John

B)

Just done it ,Garth. Check the thread you started.

Dave. :)

Thanks John, been looking at the wrong County Palatine (County Durham - land of the Prince Bishops)!

Bob Coulson

No mention of a 280 Siege Battery RGA. A 280 H battery RFA is mentioned. Could that be it?

peterd

170 Brigade RFA arrived in France from Egypt as part of 31st Division in Feb 1916 under CRA Brig-Gen J A Tyler.

ABCD batteries each with 4 x 18 pounders

On 28 April 1917 the brigade supported 2 Divisional Artillery in attack on Arleux.

On 28 June 1918 involved east of Nieppe forest in action of La Becque. According to this book they were firing howitzers CRA at that time was Brig - Gen E P Lambert

Garth

Garth,

It was definitely 280th Siege Battery RGA, I have a field postcard printed with actions the battery fought in but unfortunately no other info.

Bob.

Garth

Could you tell me where the 150th Heavy Battery were on 15th April 1918 and

D Bty 187 Bde RFA were Sept/Oct 1918

I'm researching two men who were killed while serving with the Artillary.

Regards Doug

Bob Coulson

In the Order of Battle for 11 Nov 1918 280th Siege battery are shown as part of 16 (Mobile) Brigade 1st Army. No specific mention of them in the book.

Terryb95

7 Siege Battery RGA formed from Coast Defence Gunners and armed with 6in guns on mobile mountings. They also had a 9.2 in Howitzer. They were sent at first to Antwerp.

They were in action at Aubers Ridge 9 May 1915 where they were used to attack the enemy trenches.

Myrtle

Sorry no mentions for 1916.

Doug

Nothing after Mar 1918 for 187 Brigade

Was 150th Heavy RFA or RGA?

Garth

Garth

Sorry!!

150th Heavy Battery RGA.

Regards Doug

Doug

150th Heavy Battery RGA are listed as part of 10 Brigade (Mobile) in the OOB of 11 Nov 1918.The only mention of 10 Brigade is for August 1918 at Outtersteene Ridge.

Surprisingly yours is the third request I've had where the units in question were at Outtersteene ridge. What are the odds?

Garth

Hi Garth,

Please do not go out of your way on my account, however, I was wondering if there is any mention of the 70th Brigade RFA, especially 'A' Battery up to and around Feb 20th 1916 - the time when my Gt Uncle was KIA.

Many thanks,

Cooper

Cooper

If I have the right unit they were 15th (Scottish) Divisional Artillery under Brig-Gen Macnaghten. The nearest date mentioned is September 1915 when the batteries were involved in providing support for the attack on Hill 70 at Maroc near Lens.

Garth

Cheers Garth, you are right, the Brigade was attached to the 15th Scottish Division.

Thanks for the info, it adds another 'piece' to the puzzle, I knew he took part in the attack of Loos. I was wondering if his brigade was involved in any other major engagement prior to his death? The quest goes on. Still many thanks again.

Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gem

Any mention of the activities of the 108th Siege(Heavy) BTY RGA?

I understand they were in France from 16/8/14, not too sure what and where though.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Peter: The 170th Brigade, RFA served with the 31st Divisional Artillery. It was raised between April-June 1915 for the 32nd Divisional Artillery, but on 8 Dec 15 it embarked at Devonport and became part of the 31st Divisional Artillery after that date. It originally consisted of four batteries of four 18-pdr guns and a Brigade Ammunition Column. In May 1916 it was reorginized with three batteries of four 18-pdrs each and one 4.5" Howitzer Battery with four guns. In August 1916 each of the 18-pdr. batteries were raised to six guns and in Jan 1917 the 4.5" Howitzer Battery was raised to 6 guns. The Brigade served as follows:

XV Corps from Dec 15-Feb 16

VIII Corps, Fourth Army from Mar 16-Jul 16

XI Corps, First Army, Jul-Oct 16

XIII Corps, Fifth Army, Oct 16-Jan 17

II Corps, Fifth Army, Feb 17

Canadian Corps, First Army, Mar-Apr 17

XIII Corps, First Army, Apr 17 - Mar 18

VI Corps, Third Army, Mar-Jun 18

XV Corps, Second Army, Jun-Nov 18

Regards. Dick Flory

Dave: "F" Battery, RHA took part in the Battle of Ypres from 19 Oct 14 to 13 November 1914. On the 13th the battery moved south to the Lys Valley and on 27 Nov 14 it came into action in the Lys Valley opposite Aubers Ridge. Information from "The Story of 'F' Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, 1932. Regards. Dick Flory

Garth

I would appreciate any details of 35th Bty. 22nd Bde., Royal Field Artillery.

I have a relative who died (a result of wounds) on Sunday, 14th October 1917 in a Base Hospital at Abbeville. Any mention of the battery being shelled with casualties earlier in the month?

Details of "B" Bty. 107th Bde., Royal Field Artillery around / on

Friday, 1st June 1917 would also be of interest.