Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian badge

riflegreen

Hi all ,

Have an interesting postcard of a Canadian soldier but can't identitfy the regiment , can't read the shoulder title , collar is a 3 over a bugle horn and the cap badge looks similar to Rifle Brigade .

Thought it was the Victoria Rifles of Canada but their badge is quite different .

The back of the card is to Mother & Father 6/7/1916 but the poor devil looks like he met a shell earler than that , left cheek is disfigured and appears to have a glass eye , also the first three fingers of the left hand are missing up to the first joints .

Wonder if he survived ?.

Chris

post-23-1066938270.jpg

Hi Chris.

Nice photograph the only Battalion's I can find with the #3 is The Third Toronto Regiment ( CEF ) but I think that would be a C over 3 collar badge there was also a 3rd Mounted Rifles and a 3rd Pioneer Corp. the badge in the photograph is very similar in shape to the Toronto Regiment badge but it is hard to make out.

Best regards Rob. B

Still a bit hard to make out, but it looks like a Maltes type cross inside a wreath of some kind and a dukcal type crown on the top,very similar to the 1903 rifle brigade cap badge but this badge was only worn untill 1910 and it is a British Regiment, I can only find one similar Canadian badge and that is The Royal Rifles of Canada (Mazeas M13) it may be a silly Question but could he be a British soldier. Rob.

it may be a silly Question but could he be a British soldier.

I don't think so. He seems to be wearing the Canadian pattern of SD Jacket (7 buttons) and the collar titles weren't really encountered very often in the British Army untill after the war.

Dave.

Hi Chris:

This is a simple yet distinctive pattern on the cap badge, so you'd thing it would be easy to nail down. My first thought when I saw the close up was it was a "Skilled Railway Employee" badge, but I think you can rule that out. Scanning through Babin's book on cap badges, the closest pattern is for the 57th Battalion. It's close but I don't think it's a match. Any chance of you posting a larger close up of the cap badge and right hand collar?

Garth

The collar badge should be the give away, #3 over a strung bugle. do we agree that this is a Rifle Brigade collar badge and the cap badge is very similar to the same regiment I have looked in all the reference books I have on Canadian insignia and I cant find a collar badge like this for 1916. I love a mystery!! Rob.

Hi Rob ,

the Rifle Brigade did not have collar badges , by accident I came across a similar looking cap badge - the Bermuda Rifles ! , the postcard has made in Canada on the back and " Beaudry - photo Quebec " on the front .

Looking at the collar badge it is possibly not a bugle horn but a scroll .

Chris

Hi Rob:

Will you please humor me and see if you have a reference showing the collar for the 57th Battalion; their recruiting district was Québec City. Many thanks.

Garth

P.S. I haven't forgotten the photos. Look for them this week. :lol:

Hi Garth!!

I have seen that particular badge befor, and what I remember about it was it was not like the other CEF collars as it did not have a maple leaf it was a fleur'd'lys (I know I have got the spelling wrong) with a scroll under and the motto I will find the book and get in touch with you. Rob.

PS The BCHMS is having a show at #12 Service Battalion at #4 RD and Alderbridge Way in Richmond starts at 10 am there should be some nice displays there

Rob/Garth: When I first saw the closeup, I thought it looked like a fleur-de-lis on the top. I possess a 57th Badge, but it is in Vancouver right now, my photo of it is in Ottawa, and I'm in Pickering today! Sunday night I will post the image of it for Banjo and us to consider . . .

Pickering Pete

It's not a 57th Battn. I went though all my books on CEF badges and I can't find one like it. I have seen one like this but it wasn't Canadian and I don't remember what it was. Unfortunatly I have no referance on collars so I can't help there either. It may be one of the many and little known prewar or 1920s units that sprung up and within a couple of years was disbanded. Remember in Canada we wore tunics like this until the late 30's

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Hi Dean:

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the cap badge not being the 57th Battalion. As you suggest, I'm wondering with the injuries the man in the photo suffered if this isn't a post war (circa 1920's) picture?

Garth

Hi guys ,

thanks for all the trouble you are taking with this badge , the message on the back is definitely dated 1916 , the collar badge could have a crown, maple leaf or a fleur de lys on the top , very difficult to see .

Notice that he also appears to have a built up heel on his left boot.

Chris

Hi all ,

Found a badge on e-bay, item 2199354862 - Royal rifles of Canada , in darkened bronze , could this be the one but in white metal ?.

Chris

I don't think so. I have never seen one that ws not in black. If it was a bit warn it would still be a darker colour.

Dean

I feel this is either a Non-Canadian Badge or he is wearing a badge that is somehow connected to the linage of his CEF Battn (longshot) either the pre WW1 badge of a unit that was formed from members of the CEF Battn after the war. Due to his condition I would think he would be an Honourary Member

Speaking of Canadian badges, is the 87th Bn cap badge the same as British Grenadier Guards? I bought one of those at the Shellhole 5 or so years ago and if it's not the same I want to sell it and get Canadian one. Also would like to have 87 collar badge. What will these items cost? I am not a collector but would like to have these things because of Alexander McClintock DCM. Thanks.

Hi Paul:

Because the 87th Bn. (Grenadier Guards of Montreal) was a front line battalion, their badges cost a little more. On eBay Canada an 87th cap badge will start at around $20.00 US and might work it's way up to $45.00 US. Collars and shoulder titles will start around $9.99 US and end up around $20.00 US.

Garth