Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. HECLA

jack

My grandfather K16869 Leading Stoker William Sewell served mainly on Cruisers before, during and after the the war but, during 1917-18 he was on the Depot Ship H.M.S. HECLA. What was her purpose ? Where did she serve during those years ? Was she attached to a specific squadron or flotilla ? What happened to her ?

jack

HMS Hecla, (ex-"British Crown" ) launched 1878, 6,400 tons, 4-12 pdr guns. Originally torpedo depot ship and played important role in developing British torpedo forces she became a Destroyer Depot ship.

For a chronological history see:

http://www.cwparish.demon.co.uk/wparish/hms-hecla.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Jack

HMS Hecla was at Lough Swilly, County Donegal, Ireland as a Depot Ship certainly for the period 6th April 1918 to 17th April 1918. I suspect she was based there much longer as the Lough is very deep and was used by the Atlantic Fleet as a haven.

My Grandfather and two other seamen were drowned in the Lough on 7th April 1918 when their ship (HMS Nicator) arrived. From the log of the Hecla I was able to see the arrangements for the burial party, the funeral party and the firing party - all of which came from the Hecla. Unfortunately I cannot find my note with the exact PRO(NA) reference but logs of HM Ships are generally in ADM53 - if you are able to get there it is easily located.

It seems that the Hecla may have been stationed on the western side of the lough as my Grandfather is buried in Rathmullan churchyard which is to the west - a second is buried on 'the other side of the lough' in the churchyard of Lower Fahan Churchyard. This is described (CWGC) as being in the main street of Buncara "which was a Naval Base during the Great War". Sadly the body of the third man was never found and he is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

Bodies of men from HMS Racoon and HMS Magic are also buried at Rathmullan which probably indicates that the lough was quite an important base.

Have you traced your Grandfather's personal record? When I found mine you could still look up the entry in the original book. I believe that they have now been filmed.

Good luck

• 4 years later...
Guest larpoll

Hi Jack,

My great grandfather was Stoker 1st Class James William Pope on HMS Hecla between Nov 1914 and 19 April 1916 . From there he went to HMS Vivid for a year via HMS Diligence. It is suspected he was injured. He died in 1921 - he was invalided from the RN in 1919. Prior to WW1 he was a Stoker aboard the HMS Algerine at the Taku Forts during the Boxer Rebellion - I am lucky enough to have his China Medal with the Taku clasp. If you have found out any more information regarding HMS Hecla I would be grateful if you could share it. Sadly the family have no photographs of James William Pope and I am slowly trying to piece together his naval career.

Regards Lara

My grandfather K16869 Leading Stoker William Sewell served mainly on Cruisers before, during and after the the war but, during 1917-18 he was on the Depot Ship H.M.S. HECLA. What was her purpose ? Where did she serve during those years ? Was she attached to a specific squadron or flotilla ? What happened to her ?

jack

Hi all,

Here is all I can tell you about Hecla:

Hecla, HMS (CH 6)

1912 - Rebuilt

1914 - Took part in rescue of passengers and crew of TSS California when she went aground on Tory Island

1926 - Sold for breaking-up at Preston.

Thought I had a picture somewhere, but I was mistaken. Hope this helps.

-Daniel

HMS HECLA (ex-"British Crown") At Buncrana September 1917 to December 1918 as Depot Ship for 2nd Destroyer Flotilla and Auxilliary Patrol. Prior to that had been at Chatham as Depot Ship 7th Submarine Flot. from 6/16. Back to Chatham 12/18.

• 1 year later...
Guest Tim Child

jack

HMS Hecla was a base ship and few actually served on her. When looking at the Naval records and base ships such as HMS Hecla and HMS Blake you should look for a name in brackets after the base ship. This will be the destroyer or patrol vessel the sailor actually served on. My relative Harry Hale had a base of HMS Hecles but he was actaully on HMS Fortune. She was sunk at the Battle of Jutland with the loss of 67 men. I have seen that there was only one survior which seems a little strange as her complimnet was 75. Anyhow he survived so if there was just one he was it.

.. My relative Harry Hale had a base of HMS Hecles but he was actaully on HMS Fortune. She was sunk at the Battle of Jutland with the loss of 67 men. I have seen that there was only one survior which seems a little strange as her complimnet was 75. Anyhow he survived so if there was just one he was it.

Tim.

According to figures I have, there was a total of 83 souls on HMS Fortune when sunk 01/06/1916: 66 were killed and there were 17 survivors. Here's a list of the latter:

CLIFFORD, Thomas William, L/Seaman, 231328, Saved

DAVIES, Thomas, Stoker P.O., 289400, Saved

GLEWES, Thomas Henry, Stoker 1c, 301394, Saved

HALE, Harry, Stoker 1c, K 19419, Saved

HANNANT, Henry, Chief Stoker, 289748, Saved

KEAN, James, L/Seaman, 213320, Saved

KEMPSELL, Frederick Nelson, A.B., SS 4103, Saved

LANGRISH, Percy James, L/Stoker, 309994, Saved

MAY, Henry, Stoker P.O., 306922, Saved

NEWMAN, Arthur George, Stoker, K26588, Wounded slightly

PERRY, Percy Walter, A.B., J 11486, Saved

PORTER, Ernest Edward, A.B., J 15699, Wounded

SIMMONDS, James Arthur, A.B., J 9848, Saved

SIMMONDS, Sidney Albert, P.O., 180242, Saved

TOCHER, Edward, A.B., J 11057, Saved

WARR, Arthur, A.B., 234879, Saved

WHALL, William Henry, A.B., J 8352, Saved

regards,

Martin

• 1 year later...

Posted on behalf of 'maverick51'. [Click on 'Add Reply' in the bottom right corner, rather than 'Report', to post a message]

"My Grandfather was captain of the Hecla, 1917-1921, based at Buncrannan, he raise the gold ship,

also took part in the board of enquiry into the loss of HMS Destroyer and resultant Court Marshal.

He was awarded DSO, DSC, Coix de Guirre."

• 8 years later...

This is an old thread but was wondering if anyone was still following it. My step grandfather was also posted to HMS Hecla ( Faulknor). I have found a photo of stokers from around 1914-1916 which is captioned as HMS Hecla. Unfortunately i am unable to name any of the crew. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, garyclarke300 said:

This is an old thread but was wondering if anyone was still following it. My step grandfather was also posted to HMS Hecla ( Faulknor). I have found a photo of stokers from around 1914-1916 which is captioned as HMS Hecla. Unfortunately i am unable to name any of the crew. 

Welcome to the forum, Gary.

No-one is actively following this thread at the moment but if you would like to post the photo either here or in a new thread I am sure it will be welcomed with interest.

The Hecla's logs are at the National Archives but cannot be downloaded so a visit would be necessary to view them if you are interested.

David

I for one would be most interested in seeing the photograph if you are able to share it here.  Welcome to the Forum!

Daniel

• 1 year later...
On 25/04/2019 at 13:42, Guest said:

My step grandfather was also posted to HMS Hecla ( Faulknor). I have found a photo of stokers from around 1914-1916 which is captioned as HMS Hecla. Unfortunately i am unable to name any of the crew. 

I believe this may be the photo in question ( stokers HMS Hecla)

stokers.JPG.0f3a8164398a84b32f6b316cd7c5bb36.JPG

Photo source Ipernity.com