Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier of The Queens (Royal West Surrey Reg)

tgrubb

Hi

I have this photo of a soldier and all I can work out is that he was in the Queens Royal West Surrey regiment. I was wondering if there was any other information that could be gleaned from the picture for example what is the significance of the diamond on his right arm and the braiding. I have tried reading the scribble at the bottom but I think it is just that, a scribble, but ?????

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Goodness, he looks young. And is it just the angle I have my laptop monitor at, or is he really short? Almost looks like he could be a Bantum.

But I'm up past the witching hour, so it could be sleep deprived near-hallucinations. ;)

Allie

He may be a Drummer the diamond could actually be a drum slighty tilted. The braiding may be his bugle cords. Just a thought.

Elliot

Allie

He does look short and young! For reference I also have a photo of Syd Aylett of the East Kents - could it be the same background? If it is it makes him look very small!!

Sorry for the ignorance but what/who were the Bantums?

Tim

I made a typo - it's Bantam, sorry. They were soldiers who didn't make the minimum height requirement initially. Eventually they were allowed into the armed forces, and generally were in special Bantam ... battalions? regiments? brigades? Group of men fighting? (Haven't got these words sorted yet as to what mean what! Oops.) Anyway, to be a bantam you needed to be between 5 feet 1 and five feet 4, I think.

Allie

Well, the Surrey Light Infantry's 17th Battalion was a Bantam one. But I don't know enough about British units to comment on Queens (Royal West Surrey Reg) versus Surrey Light Infantry 17th Battalion.

Hopefully someone else can help.

And, yes, the background does look the same. And certainly makes him look short in comparison. But I think it's how long his legs and arms are, and how ...stubby... he seems that gave me the feeling he was short.

Allie

cheers Allie

I am not sure he would have made that height would he!!!

Tim