Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl 6844 Horace Brown Manchester Regiment

ijrowley

Hi All

With reference to the above named soldier am i right in presuming that his service number would mean that he enlisted at the outbreak of war and also that he was KIA on 1/7/16 am i correct in presuming that this would be at the Somme and his batallion 16th Manchesters were there , I believe him to be buried at Quarry cemetery Montauban , any info on the cemetery and any assistance and further info on the chap greatly appreciated . Regards Ian

Ian

Born in Haughton Green..

You'll know that there's a H Brown on the Denton Memorial which must be him. There's also a Horace Brown on the memorial to the old boys of the County School, Hyde. Good bet it's him . Memorial's at the 6th Form College on Clarendon Road.

Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour lists him as 11 Platoon, "C" Company. I know only 200 got recruited on the first day, so he won't be in that batch - but he's bound to be a Day 2 joiner. Which, I would have thought, has to put him working in the centre of "Cottonopolis" for one of the big employers.

You'll find the events of 1/7 well covered in Stedman's Manchester Pals and the Battalion history (published as the 16, 17, 18 ,19 History in one volume - nearest copy to you @ Local Heritage Library @ Ashton)

John

John

• 9 months later...