Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

Having a coffee break and have stubled across this thread after logging on to the GWF for the first time in a long time.

I was drawn to the classic threads today and couldnt believe what I was reading on the 20/08/12

Very emotional sitting here behind my desk a number of my team have asked "are you okay boss"?

I am fine, emotional but enriched and I have my faith restored in a group of complete strangers who united to make this possible, god bless you all, and of course remembering a young 2nd Lieutenant aged just 23 who looked into the eyes of an even younger comrade on that fateful day and "took his place".

Rest in peace Eric William Bristowe Maggs

Remembring Eric Maggs. Also well done to Anne - the notice in the Times is a lovely touch.

Neil

• 10 months later...
  • Admin

Paid my respects to Eric on Friday/

Michelle

Stumbled across this... a wonderful example of how their memories can never die as long as just a few of us care enough. Makes me feel honoured to be allowed to be a member of this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow.. This was all mind blowing and very emotional. Will call in and pay my respects to 2Lt Maggs in September.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Remembering Eric today

RIP :poppy:

Michelle

I looked for a memorium notice in The Times today Anne. Good that this brave man is remembered here.

This has been a long-running post, with a remarkable outcome - but I am not sure if anyone posted the 11/KRRC account, once he was identified - apologies if I have missed it and I am repeating an old post...

Simply:- "On the 21st unfortunately one of our patrols was cut off by a strong party of the enemy, and the officer in command, 2nd Lieut. E. W. B. Maggs, was killed; his body was brought in and buried at Souchez" KRRC Chronicle 1918.

as noted previously, University College Oxford 1913 to study medicine - then :- Jan 1915 gained temporary commission in KRRC and served with 13th Bn. Resigned his commission in October 1915 and served for 2 years in the H.A.C. - being wounded twice. After passing through a Cadet School in 1917 he again obtained a temporary commission in the regiment and served with the 8th Bn, being also attached to the 11th Bn.

His obituary goes on:.. "Maggs possessed one of the gods' best gifts in that nothing seemed to upset his cheerful nature; in the front line amidst the worst surroundings he was cheerier than ever, and he imparted his spirit to the men of his platoon, one of whom writes: 'He was to us an officer and a friend indeed .. and we miss him sorely. His life and character was an inspiration to us all in the daily call of duty out here'.

Maggs in mentioned in leading a raid 22/23rd July with Lt Arnold... around Salary Trench, Avion Sector, where the 11/KRRC also made raids the week after his death - so that may well have been the same area where his patrol was cut off...

Just to clarify ... battiscombe is quoting various sections of the 1918 KRRC Chronicle here. I can confirm there's nothing else there of significance, nor, unfortunately, a photograph.

Cheers,

Mark

I know I'm not the first to stumble on this thread on the day itself, but I was still taken aback when I realised the date. What an incredible an inspirational story. As always I'm in awe of the knowledge and tenacity of GWF members - finding needles in haystacks really is a specialty!

However I could not find an announcement in the Times today. Am I looking in the wrong place?

David

However I could not find an announcement in the Times today. Am I looking in the wrong place?

David

Anne put a memorium in a few years ago David, but not this time.

If Anne is still with us, I am sure she will be remembering today.

All those of us privileged to be able to read this inspiring thread must surely also be thinking of a brave officer who made the supreme sacrifice.

R I P 2nd Lt Maggs

Bruce

Crikey, I have only just seen this thread for the first time. Thanks Paul Read for posting a link on Twitter. What an amazing tale.

Roger

• 3 months later...

I am so thrilled and moved at how many of you remembered Eric on his special day in August. Sadly I wasn't able to put it in The Times as it coincided with being in hospital and being

diagnosed with a terminal illness. However, I'm still here - a bit old and wobbly but still remembering and still so grateful to you all for your contributions to Eric's story. Anne

Dear Anne

You said on one of your posts some years ago, "Thanks to all who share in his story and mine".

It is we who should be grateful to you for letting us share your story. The idea of a personal 'journey' has been somewhat devalued of late by reality television and dubious self help books, but it has been so inspiring to read the thread from the beginning and to see the story develop in such an extraordinary fashion and to realise the impact it was having on you.

Thank you again: it has been a privilege

David

• 1 year later...

Anne

I have only just came across this story a tribute to all those on the forum who helped you in your search - The members have helped me on many occasions such amazing people

As you said all from an old photograph

I hope you are well

Raymond Bell

It appears likely that Anne Stormont is no longer with us since she indicated in 2013 thatshe was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I have done a Google search for an obituary with no returns. Could someone with better sources in the UK try to do an obituary search?

• 5 months later...

I feel that as we are coming up to the anniversary of the date and if Anne has unfortunately passed away we should put the memorial in the Times for her! A tribute to two wonderful people.

Way back in post #179 Anne said that she would ask her son to put the In Memoriam in should she be unable to; perhaps the Times would be able to say whether it appeared last year?

Like many others I have just re-read this thread and am feeling sobered and uplifted together.

RIP Eric William Bristowe Maggs. 2nd Lieutenant King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action, near Lens, on August 20, 1918, aged 23.

:poppy:

JP

:poppy::poppy:

• 3 years later...

This was one of the first threads I read when I arrived here on the forum back in 2013.

Since it is coming up to the 20th August It will provide an opportunity to give others, who have not already, a chance to read this most fascinating set of circumstances.

I wonder if there will be an announcement in the Times.

Perhaps @domwalsh can tell us.