Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Australian Light Horse regiment

Aaron Nelson

Suzanne,

Sorry it was not my intention to upset you or to discredit Sgt Dick.

The records even 90 years later do hold things that can be telling on the families as we troll threw them.

As you say Sgt Dick had already served in one war and was in his second, he knew more then most what war can do but I am repeating a story told by one of his men by the father of a soldier who was lashing out at the Army after his son's tragic death.

The Webb address is a bit advanced for me but if you go to the Australia National Archive site look under WWI personal service records you will come to the Service record of;

William John Barry, his service number (289).

Inside the file you will find the letter from the father to the Army which should give you some of the back ground into his death on the 7th Aug 1915.

Cheers

S.B

As Steve has pointed you to,

go to

http://www.naa.gov.au/The_Collection/recordsearch.html

enter there

and type in

William John Barry 289

Click on: view digital copy on his record.

I agree with Steve that sometimes there are things in the records that family legend has not included and can be a bit of a shock to descendants. I found a soldier whose family thought he was squeaky clean, but in fact he was a real bad boy.

Cheers

Kim

Suzzane,

Its great to meet another descendant of the men from the 1st Australian Light Horse. As mentioned I am putting together the story of our relative and I would be more than happy to forward you a copy if interested. Given Henry Kolts and Alfred Dick were in the same unit during the same period they would have shared similiar experiences. Let me know if I can help you as well by filling in any gaps etc, although I am no expert on the Light horse, I will certainly see how I could help you out. Also, did you see the mention of your Great Grandfather in Nettletons notebook, and thier is a picture of the 1st Light Horse regiment on parade in Sydney, the caption of the picture mentions Lance Sergeant A Dick.

Best regards Aaron.

Suzzane,

Its great to meet another descendant of the men from the 1st Australian Light Horse. As mentioned I am putting together the story of our relative and I would be more than happy to forward you a copy if interested. Given Henry Kolts and Alfred Dick were in the same unit during the same period they would have shared similiar experiences. Let me know if I can help you as well by filling in any gaps etc, although I am no expert on the Light horse, I will certainly see how I could help you out. Also, did you see the mention of your Great Grandfather in Nettletons notebook, and thier is a picture of the 1st Light Horse regiment on parade in Sydney, the caption of the picture mentions Lance Sergeant A Dick.

Best regards Aaron.

Thanks all for your responses and absolutely no offence taken!

Aaron, I would love to have any info you can send, let me know what I need to do!

What I would love to know is how he would have learned to ride so well as to be able to join the ALH. He came from the industrial North East and as far as I am aware had no access to horses. I did recently just watch the film Gallipoli and did wonder if he just bit the bullet (scuse the pun) and winged it!

Thanks again for your responses, I have only been doing research for about a year and as I did not do modern history at school, this has been a real learning curve and quite shocking to me to find out what my relatives went through.

I did find the letter referred to, I have Alfred records digitised at the beginning of the year and I also requested the photo be digitised. However the only thing I did wonder about, was that Barry seems to have been promoted at the training camp, but Alfred was promoted in the line of duty??

Suzanne

Suzzane,

I have sent you a PM so we can correspond accordingly and swap info.

best regards Aaron.

• 4 months later...
Guest David Thomson

Hi All

This post is fascinating reading - all of which I found by accident through a whimsical googling on the weekend! The Walter Thomson [tpr 371] mentioned above in the lists is my grandfather so it was pretty exciting to read of the events of August 1915. Walter went on to Egypt but was eventually discharged as medically unfit in November 1916 with a heart condition. He lived in Sydney with his family until his death in 1962.

Steve B - you mentioned you had pulled up these details from your DB.. I have been to the website of the AWM and accessed Walters records - but there is no mention of anything from this action. The family talks of a bullet wound for example but I see no records of such. What other records are available that could track his movements in Gallipoli?

Regards

David Thomson

David,

To start there are a number of ways to lean more of this battle and to find on your relation.

To begin you should try the ANA (Aust National Archives) webb site and follow the details we have given above for Suzze. They have his WWI Service record which hold all the details of his service life and confirm if he was in fact wounded by a bullet.

You can try the Australian Offical History Vol II by Bean, which covers this action in detail.

Also the History of the RNSWL 1885 to 1995 by Vernon, which covers the history of the Royal NSW Lancers or the 1st LHR, it covers the action you mention.

Give that a try if you need more let us know

S.B

Guest Bill Woerlee

David

G'day mate

Here is the extract from the book mentioned by Steve:

p.94 - Royal New South Wales Lancers

The troops for its assault were to be the 8th and 10th Light Regiments of 3rd Australian Light Horse Brigade, assisted by the 8th Cheshires and also by the Royal Welch Fusiliers who [rote the head of Monash Valley would attack the nearer Turkish positions of the Chessboard, eventually connecting with the 1st L.H. from Pope's.

The attack by the 1st L.H., which would be directed by Major T. W. Glasgow, commandant of Pope's, was to be made by two squadrons, about 200 men. Instructions were to go over the top when the 8th L.H. left their trenches to attack on the left; no shots were to be fired and only bayonets to be used until the trenches were occupied. White patches were sewn on the backs of the men's shirts so that mistakes could not occur in the dark. Rations and water were carried as it was hoped to push on.

The attack was gallantly led by Major J. M. Reid, of Tenterfield, who lost his life. The storming party reached the third line of trenches and held on for two hours, but the enemy attacked in great force and bombed the already thinned-out regiment back. (The ground contested had been fought over by the Royal Marines at the first landing and many of the bodies still remained in no-man's-land.) The regiment lost heavily, viz.-15 killed, 98 wounded, 34 missing (mostly killed) , total 147.' The casualties included all the officers of "B" Squadron; Major Reid's and Lieutenant Nettleton's bodies were not recovered; Captain Cox and Lieutenant Tinson died from their wounds a day later. The following officers were evacuated wounded: Captain Holman, Lieutenants Reid, Macmillan, Stewart, Weir, Harris and White.

Lieutenant Harris showed great gallantry in leading the advanced storming party, and, although wounded, remained in the foremost position until the retirement. The grit of the men when being carried to the beach was remarkable; some 3,000 passed through the dressing station that day, and boats in strings of four and five, towed by small tugs, took the wounded off to empty transports where accommodation for them was hastily improvised. Much suffering occurred on the voyage to Alexandria, and many wounds were septic by the time Cairo was reached.

There were many acts of gallantry performed on August 7, notably those of 566 Corporal T. J. Keys, 437 Trooper R. C. Tancred and 397 Trooper F. Barrow in carrying much-needed bombs to the forward party over ground swept by machine gun and rifle fire.

post-7100-1166569176.jpg

Cheers

Bill

• 3 months later...

1st Australian Light Horse - Lieutanant Nettleton’s Diary

Hello Bryn,

I’ve just discovered the Great War Forum while searching for information on the 1st Australian Light Horse Regiment. The amazing story of Lieutanant Nettleton’s flask and diary has answered a lot for me. My Great Uncle was regimental no. 789 Trooper Leslie Claude Launt one of my Grandmother’s only two Brothers both of whom went to the Great War. The other, Daniel David John Launt who was in the Twelfth Australian Light Horse Regiment survived. Les Launt nicknamed “Dusty” was always referred to, by my family, by this name. My Grandmother was fiercely proud of her brother who was killed at Gallipoli. I recall in 1956 when I was just eight years old I asked my Grandmother “Who was in the photo that hung in the hallway?” She left an impression on me about him that remains indelible to this very day. I would like to ask if it would be possible to have a copy of the page of Lieutenant Nettleton’s diary with 789 Trooper L C Launt.

Books or information about the 1st ALH has been very hard to obtain and my Great Uncles personal army records on the National Archives only state 1st ALH 3rd reinforcements.

Rob

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the forum,

A couple of books you will find helpful "The boys in Green"by Brian Dunn and Peter Blundell also "The Royal New South Wales Lancers 1885 - 1960" by Phillip Vernon. Both books contain the history of the 1st Australian Light horse during the first world war. I note that your relative was killed on the same day as my relative. Very sad. In fact, his name is listed directly undernealth my relatives on the Lone Pine memorial. The Australian War memorial musuem has a wonderful photo of the 1st Australian Light horse on parde in Sydney prior to embarking overseas. Thier reference for the photo is Accession number A03145. I have a copy of the diary pages where Nettleton lists his troops, it appears that Launt is not listed on those pages, Bryn however may be able review his copy and see if he can find Launt mentioned. Bear in mind that Nettleton lists only the troops that he was responsible for, Launt may not hae been in his troop. The orginal diary is still in Turkey, if only that Diary could talk, the tales it could tell !!!

best regards Aaron.

Mate,

I am sorry but my records only record that he (Leslie) was a reinforcment to the Regt so I am unsure in which Sqn he met his death.

He had been with the Regt for a few weeks before the attack and the chances are he was placed in A Sqn, since B Sqn was in the firing line at the time of the arrival of that reinforcement to Gallipoli.

David was ToS of B Sqn 12 LHR but missed the charge at Beersheba only to finish the war in A Sqn.

Cheers

S.B

Aaron,

Thank you for the welcome to the forum and your help with 1 ALH history. I have emailed Bryn asking him if there is any more information in LT. Nettleton’s Diary. But I guess the pages Bryn has shown constitutes the LT.’s full troop, (would you agree?) with a total of 37 including himself. The listing Steve Beker has given indicates my Great Uncle Trooper L.C. “Dusty” Launt was in B Squadron.

The original photo of my Great Uncle was a full length portrait of him in uniform with rifle and fixed bayonet. The photo is now lost. The relative who was last in possession of it is now deceased. However I’m going to search the Sydney Mail newspaper at the State Library. Also I will pursue the books and photo in the museum that you so kindly mentioned, thank you.

Best regards from across the Tasman.

Rob

G/Day Steve,

Thanks for that. My Great Uncle’s record shows that he was in the 3rd Reinforcements 1 ALH. Does this help in ascertaining which squadron and troop?

My Great Uncle David Launts’s record shows a fair bit of time in hospital. I recall he suffered from Malaria but I will have to check his records again as it’s a while since I have looked at them.

Regards,

Rob

post-20363-1175997793.jpg

Steve,

Have attached an excellent photo for your interest of Trooper James Edward Bruce McColl 2 Troop A Squadron 12 ALH Regiment.

He was WIA Beersheba. I am related to McColls but not sure about Bruce. I also understand he had a brother Lt. Norman McColl but don’t know his unit.

Cheers,

Rob

Guest Bill Woerlee

Rob

G'day mate

Talk about coincidences.

I have been just writing about the McColl family in Bent Street, Sydney where the same family names seem to emerge - Norman and John. Perhaps they are related?

This is where you will find the detail about this part of the family:

http://www.lighthorse.org.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2995

Let me know if there is a tie.

The other part is Bingara - small world - my partner comes from that very town.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

G/Day Mate.

Trooper James Edward Bruce McColl (called Bruce by his family) besides Lt Norman McColl had another brother Wallace. I have no knowledge about Wallace having served or not.

I understand they lived on “Bangate” station Bingara and their Mother was a Lannagan from Bingara. Bruce was the bookkeeper on “Bangate” prior to joining the AIF. I also understand that he had a grazing property at Yelarbon in Southern Queensland where he died and his wife was still living there about 3 years ago. I haven’t yet spotted the tie with the Bent Street McColls.

May I ask your partner’s family name as I too had family in Bingara and know it pretty well.

The coincidences continue.

Cheers,

Rob

Remembering

789 Trooper L.C. “Dusty” Launt 1st ALH - K.I.A. Gallipoli 7/8/1915

Great Uncle

21174 Trooper David D. J. Launt 12th ALH

Great Uncle

1518 Pte Joseph H.A. Applebee

3rd MG Battalion AIF and 2nd AIF

NX40921 22 Aust Coy AASCORPS

Died on Service Changi Prison

14th Feb 1945

Great Uncle

1236 LCpl Walter R Scott

D Coy 35th Battalion AIF

Great Uncle

Their Bodies are Buried in Peace and

Their Name Liveth for Evermore

This is the link to the 1st Light Horse War Diary at the AWM.

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/diary.asp?diary=67

I didn't see it in the topic anywhere although I may have missed it.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

PS:

I have 2 McColl's in my 'Albany Boys'. Daniel Boyes and William Grigor McColl.

Guest Bill Woerlee

Rob

G'day mate

My partners family, if that is the word to use here, were the Dunstans. While they lived out of town in an old bark hut - through necessity - they also lived at the hotel, sort of, as patrons. Most have died through alcohol related illnesses or misadventure when likkered up. Ol' Uncle George still survives. My partner's mother, Valerie died in 1963 at the age of 30. Let me give you an extract of my partner's view of Bingara when she lived there:

5. Nanna and Dubby

And we did know these devils only too well.

Bingara, the name rang simultaneously to the sound of hellhole and refuge. It was the place we loved to hate. Mum went there often to see Nanna. Most of the time it was not so much of a family visit as a need to escape some person or another who was haunting Mum. So we spent quite a few months off and on at Bingara getting to know my uncles and aunts very well, most of whom were not much older than me.

It took many years of living my own life to understand why Nanna was so cruel. Her behaviour was so inconsistent; indeed Nanna was just like Mum in many ways. She was fanatical with her cleaning within the house. Despite living in a humble household surrounded by drunks, Nanna had the cleanest house in Bingara. You could eat off the floors at any time they were so clean.

The curious thing is that Nanna thought that I was a favourite grand child. I found this peculiar and still do to this day. There were occasions when Nanna would do her baking she was amazingly generous with her time and affection.

Every Monday Nanna set aside the day for the weekly baking chore. She would make breads, cakes and biscuits. Nanna was a great bread maker so being with her was always a treat. Some times Nanna would let me roll some of the left over dough and make my own biscuits. That was great fun. At other times when Nanna was baking, the mere entering of the kitchen would bring with it an angry tirade. I could never be sure with Nanna.

In contrast Nanna could demonstrate vicious cruelty. One time she served me this cold lumpy porridge. It tasted like viscous glue. I could not eat it so I left it. Nanna had other ideas. If I was not going to eat it for breakfast then I could have it as it was for lunch. Well I didn’t eat it for lunch nor dinner nor breakfast the next morning. It was only the intervention from Dubby that brought the game to an end. I was not going to give in to Nanna and she was going to teach me a lesson. Dubby could not stand the brutality and put and end to the contest of wills.

Then on other occasions Nanna would make fairy bread for us when we came home from school. I could never understand the nature of these major mood swings although they filled me with fear and dread when I came into contact with you.

When Nanna died I would have danced upon her grave because I hated her so much. To me she was just cruel and nasty with few redeeming features. When Mum was running from the debt collectors she would drop us off at Nanna's house at Bingara. Nanna seemed resentful of this imposition and made the lives of Chrissie and me like hell.

The only person I remember kindly during our stay at Bingara was Dubby, Nanna's boyfriend. He was a wonderfully kind man who has a treasured place in my heart. After a hard days work at the water department, Dubby would come home and sit outside his house on a tree stump drinking beer from a long neck bottle. In between each sip. Dubby would be whittling away at a stick. He used to make whistles out of tree branches. I have no idea how he made them but he was good at this art. He gave me a few of his completed whistles. If he wasn’t making whistles Dubby would be whittling sculptures in wood.

Dubby's house was over the road from Nanna's home, indeed the house where Nanna stayed belonged to him. Being a generous man, Dubby and Mum shared most things together. He was a quiet man who kept mainly to himself. All his life he had worked for the Water Department rising up to be a works foreman. He was not short of a quid but he lived a very modest lifestyle. I believe he provided most of the money that sustained Nanna’s household. I mean, Nanna didn’t have a job or anything but she still managed to live a comfortable life despite her poverty.

I knew when Dubby finished work so often I would try to be around when Dubby was having a beer. If Dubby saw me walking around Nanna's house, he would call out to me.

"Come over here little Mickey Drippins and sit with your old Dubby."

I loved to hear these words. I almost danced with joy as I crossed the road to sit with Dubby. He would usually ask me about my day and then tell me some funny things that happened to him. This wonderful ritual would last for about quarter of an hour. When Dubby felt it was time to end the conversation, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a shiny sixpenny coin out of his money pocket. He pressed it into my welcoming hands.

"Here's sixpence for you little Mickey Drippins."

His infectious smile caught me too. I took his money with glee and thanked him. Dubby was always kind to me. On occasion when Nanna's cruelty was too much he would defend me. Maybe in me he saw his own loneliness and vulnerability, the kid whom everyone picked on and shunned without realising if that person was worthy of actually knowing as an individual. Were we two kindred spirits separated by age? I cried when Dubby died. A piece of me died although he still lives within me. Dubby was the only honest and compassionate man I met throughout many years of my life. I treasure your life Dubby.

Isn't it strange that a person can have two memories of the same place that are antithetical to each other? I hated Nanna but loved her boyfriend, I disliked living in Nanna's tiny house but enjoyed being at Dubby's house, Bingara was a town filled with brutal and horrible memories for me and yet it also contains the beautiful memory of Dubby. The contradiction is that without the terrible times in Bingara, I would never have had the wonderful moments with Dubby.

There were other times in Bingara. One time my uncles put me in an old rainwater tank and rolled me down a slope. That was heaps of fun running down the slope inside the metal tank. Of course, if I look on it today, the danger it posed would horrify me. But then it was just good fun.

My uncles were always pulling pranks around town or on me. They were the local larrikins always getting into trouble with someone. The consequence for us was that our family were considered to be the worst in Bingara, always in trouble and never able to do good. This was a blessing at times since being considered to be bad gave us a licence to enjoy ourselves in ways that the ordinary folk of Bingara could never hope to imagine. The downside was that most people shunned us so we were forced to play amongst ourselves.

Leaving Bingara was never an occasion for sadness. Indeed we looked forward to any chance for us to leave. Mum could never stay there for too long. I think Nanna used to drive her around the twist. On our last visit Mum was desperately searching for a ticket out of Bingara. Any ticket.

6. Chad Morgan

"Chad Morgan Concert Tonight" announced the poster in big, bold, black letters. We saw it in the Town Hall Theatre after watching the Saturday afternoon matinee.

"Chrissie, do you think we can see him?"

"Nah, Mum says we're too broke."

A few months ago Mum brought us back to Bingara and moved in with Gran and Dubby to escape the debt collectors. There was no water or electricity and nine children shared two bedrooms.

Chrissie and I walked barefoot to the bottom pub. It was a hot day and the sticky tar burned our feet. As usual we met Mum at the Ladies' Lounge. Old Bob was there. Earlier Old Bob said he had something important to discuss with Mum so he gave us each sixpence to see the movies.

Old Bob looked at me.

"How are you little Mickey Drippins?"

Old Bob gave me a big grin exposing a few yellow pegs and a rolly stuck to his lower lip. He rubbed my hair vigorously, then handed me a bag of crisps and a fire engine, a drink made from lemonade and raspberry cordial.

"Thanks," I said shyly.

After Chrissie got her drink and chips we went outside into the beer garden. Mum stayed inside talking to Old Bob. We found some chairs in the shade and began to wile away the time talking about the movie. It was a John Wayne western, my favourite type of story.

Maybe an hour passed when Mum ran out smiling while her hands waved wildly in the air.

"We're going to see Chad Morgan! I've got tickets!"

Wow!

We jiggled and jumped with excitement.

We went home to get dressed for the show. Mum was singing her favourite Patsy Cline songs. We loved her singing. On Saturday evenings Mum would sing to Patsy Cline for a beer at the bottom pub.

Mum put on a red net dress that exposed her knees and her three inch stiletto heels making her appear taller than her normal five feet.

When we were ready to go, Billy, our neighbour, took us to town with his horse drawn buggy. Not many people in Bingara could afford a car.

At the Town Hall, Mum collected the tickets. Front row seats next to the left aisle. The theatre was hot and stuffy. Humming fans did little to cool things down. Mum sat between Chrissie and me. Being so small I disappeared into my seat. The stage was over my head and difficult to see. My whining complaints were dismissed with a harsh "Shut up!" from Mum.

The show began with Chad singing his numbers to an adoring audience. When his fourth song ended, I felt Mum getting restless.

"Hey Chad!" Mum shouted.

The theatre fell silent.

"You're an ugly, buck-toothed old has been!"

I cringed into my seat with embarrassment.

"Why don't you give the microphone to someone who can really sing?"

I hated Mum for this. I thought that we'll be kicked out for sure. Nothing happened. Chad ignored Mum's comments and sang another song. Again, when he finished, Mum heckled him. Chad ignored her until the scorn became too much.

"Hey lady!" Chad called to Mum. His eyes burned right through me. I felt terrified.

"If you think you are so good," he taunted, "why don't you get up here?"

Mum stood up and looked at him.

"Okay!"

Mum's red net dress brushed roughly across my face hiding my embarrassment. She climbed up onto the stage and then stood next to Chad. After a little bit of animated banter, Chad gave Mum the microphone. The band played an opening riff. Mum took a deep breath and began to sing: "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" She sang it slowly with great feeling.

When Mum finished everyone stood up and applauded. I jumped up clapping and cheered as hard as my voice could call. Chrissie joined in. We beamed at mum who smiled back at us.

"More! More!"

Even Chad clapped. He invited Mum to sing more songs. Audience calls of "Go on!" encouraged Mum to reluctantly agree. She spoke to the band-leader and then sang a couple Patsy Cline songs.

After the concert we went to the dressing room party. Lots of people were chatting and laughing. Mum sat on Chad's knee drinking beer. They were cuddling each other.

I was tired and lay on the floor. Someone put a coat over me as I fell asleep. Next morning I awoke in a strange bed with Chrissie. It was in the bottom pub. Mum told us that we were leaving Bingara that day and touring with the Chad Morgan Show. Mum would feature as the newly discovered singer. We cheered because anywhere was better than Bingara.

Mum toured with Chad Morgan for about three months and then left him at Barcaldine for a job as a waitress with a cafe. Later on we ended up at Inala where Mum rented a house.

Cheers

Bill

re post #45

Hello Sandra,

Thanks for the WWI diaries web address. I have had a look at them. My Great Uncle could have been in the arrivals with Lts. Weir and Campbell 6th August as I think Steve or Aaron previously mentioned. Maybe I can find an embarkation date (with his name) from Egypt. My Dear Old Dad who was around then (he was born in 1902 Moree) always said that his Uncle Dusty Launt was killed soon after his arrival at Gallipoli. My Father went to join up at 12 years old in Moree and the recruiting officer knew him and told him “Get home to your Mother, young Wilson”. He did; eventually joined up; 24th Light Horse then 2/3 Battalion 2nd AIF; Middle East Greece and Crete.

Bright blessings to you also.

Thank you,

Rob

Remembering

Great Uncle

Great Uncle

14th Feb 1945

Great Uncle

1236 LCpl Walter R Scott

D Coy 35th Battalion AIF

Great Uncle

Bill,

Poor little Mickey Drippins; was it struggle town, Old Keera Road?

I know George and Grace and was in Bingara when they lost young Grant (cystic fibrosis). In fact I lived there for a few years and I can fully understand the way it was for Mickey Drippins.

Did she live anywhere near the Booka O’Rourkes or the Hill’s? Also knew Bowlie (Paul) Dunston he died when I was there. Bowlie I think had a pretty good share in the Top Pub and the RSL Club. He was a committee man at the club. I think he was about 60 when he died. I must admit I too was pleased to leave Bingara as I was mixed up with a rather mental female who came from a bunch over the river. Had some good times there though; I was President of the RSL Sub-Branch for a few years and built a nice home in Cunningham Street. George maintained the Memorial Park Gardens at the Cenotaph and I was in close liaison with him. He did an excellent job.

There are 70 orange trees in Finch and Riddell Streets put there by the RSL Sub-Branch in memory of the Service Personnel killed in WWI and WWII from Bingara. The oranges were forbidden to be touched until ripe and only the school children could pick them after a Memorial Service was held in front of the RSL. During the last one I was at, the school principal detailed his pupils their trees and ordered the picking to begin when the young bugler cut him off sounding a cavalry charge.

Chad Morgan performed when I was there and a very rough headed loud mouthed fellow was giving him a bit of cheek and Chad told him the last time he saw a head like his, it came out of the Gywdir (river) with a hook in it.

My Mother’s Grandfather John McKechnie and his cousin Brickie Anderson built the Bingara hospital in 1915 (well before my time).

Also I should mention there’s a wonderful song about the orange trees by Rick Hutton (Harry Fay’s son in law) called “Oranges Everywhere”

Cheers to you both,

Rob

Remembering

Great Uncle

Great Uncle

14th Feb 1945

Great Uncle

1236 LCpl Walter R Scott

D Coy 35th Battalion AIF

Great Uncle

• 3 weeks later...
post-20363-1175997793.jpg

Steve,

Have attached an excellent photo for your interest of Trooper James Edward Bruce McColl 2 Troop A Squadron 12 ALH Regiment.

He was WIA Beersheba. I am related to McColls but not sure about Bruce. I also understand he had a brother Lt. Norman McColl but don’t know his unit.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have just joined the forum. My Grandfather was Norman S. McColl from the property near Yelarbon. His brother Bruce was in the Light Horse. I have been searching in Brisbane for a bust that had been made of Bruce. We can not find it if anyone knows where it may be? I have spoken to the Victoria Army Barracks and they do not know. I wonder how you are related to the McColls?

Regards, Cathy.

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the Forum.

My Grandfather, that is my Mother’s Father’s sister, Marion was married to William McColl.

I don’t have any records but to my knowledge they had three sons, Colin, Duncan, and I can’t remember the third brother’s name (I think it was Neil). As a youngster I had a lot of contact with Colin at Moree but didn’t with the other two. I always understood that Auntie Marion died young. As I mentioned on the Forum I am not sure if any relation to Bruce. Do you know if there is any relationship?

The bust of Bruce sounds interesting; do you have a photo of it? I could provide you with a copy of the photo of Bruce if you haven’t got it and would like to have one.

Regards,

Rob

Remembering

Great Uncle

Great Uncle

1518 Pte Joseph H.A. Applebee WIA

14th Feb 1945