Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Australian Light Horse regiment

Aaron Nelson

Hi all,

Have recently discovered that my wifes Great Grandfathers brother was in the 1st Aust. Light Horse regiment and was killed on the 7th of August 1915. The charge of the Lighthorse on that day has gone down as one of THE defining moments in Australia's history.

His details are Henry Frederick Kolts, Regt no. 333, 1st Australian Light Horse (NSW) Regiment, 1st Australian Light Horse Brigade.

His unit at 4.30am on the 7th August 1915, left thier trenches at Popes Hill and charged towards the Turkish ' cheesboard trenches'. Apparently 200 men charged and 154 were casualties.

The problem is I cant find a good description of the charge that the 1st Light Horse regiment made that day. All the descriptions I have found are about the 8th and the 10th Light Horse on the Nek.

Does anyone have a detailed description of the 1st Light Horse charge, 7th August 1915, from Popes hill.

They apparently captured 3 of the four trenches and after 2 hours had to withdraw from them.

Any descriptions of this action would be most appreciated.

Best regards Aaron.

Guest gumbirsingpun

hi aaron

the sorties from Steele’s, Quinn’s, and Pope’s were simply tragedies of war, brief and terrible.

on the 7th of aggus,the sorties from quinn’s and pope’s and the attack on baby 700 were to hae synchronised with the main assaults of the two columns at 4.30 a.m. these had Quinn’e and Pope,e been held up, but the local attacks were carried through. at quinn’s the first line (o the 2nd Light Horse Regiment) to breast the parapet was within sixty seconds killed or wounded. The other lines were happily stopped: some 37 wounded who fell back into the trench were collected bi the regimental medical officer in a slight dip twenty yards behind the line-thirty-five yards from the enemy-whence by IO a.m. they were slid doun to the gully 100 feet below. the sorties frae Pope’s by the 1st australian light horse Bbrigade and Royal Welsh fusiliers were little less costly. the seriously wounded in monash Gully (some 173) wir collected ta the New zealand dressing station below Pope’s. here, in spite of a good relay system, through insufficiency of bearers many lay during the whole day, clearance bein completed during the night wi the help of the Australian sanitary section. as you know,the advance across the nek on Baby 700 is ane of the most heroic tragedies in australian history. of 540 light horsemen of the 3rd Brigade who went Baby 700 out in four waves at varying intervals,only some 170 returned uninjured; 138, wounded near their own line, got back or were dragged in by comrades or regimental bearers. In the burning heat of this terrible day the rest soon died where they fell. casualties wir quickly cleared tae the New Zealand dressing station on the left (in Mule Gully) , now absorbed intae the evacuation system of the new front. Between 6 p.m. of the 6th and 6 a.m. of the 7th 1,016 wounded reached the 1st australian casualty clearing station.

these are all i know of the charge made that day,but if you wanna get the low down on the attack,i recommend you should contact bill whose nickname is eceabat on the forum

regards

tuna,

Mate,

The charge by the 1st LHR was from Popes towards the Chessboard was by two Sqn's about 200 men.

It as mentioned was all timed to happen together, 3rd LH Bde and 1st LH Bde Attacks.

Baynots were only to be used and ASqn advanced on the left and B Sqn the right.

Maj Reid (BSqn) led the attack and had great succses over running three trenches, but the turks counterattacked in force and after holding for two hours the Regt retired back to there trenches.

The force lost some 15 KIA, 98 WIA and 34 MIA (mostly KIA) total 147 .

Of all the LH attacks that morning this was the only one to take its ground but no follow on troops were around to use the ground won.

Sourse - The RNSWL 1895 to 1985 by Vernon

A total waste of time and lives.

Henry was in B Sqn and had served with the Scottish Horse in South Africa

Cheers

S.B

Those killed outright were not the saddest cases.

Today this Forum honours Trooper William KEAIN, who was wounded in this battle and lingered on to die in his homeland nearly 4 years later.

On this, the 85th anniversary of his death, We DO remember them!

Peggie,

Yes one of the many from A Sqn who were wounded that day.

Bill was shot in the groin and wounded by bomb fragments from a bomb fight in the Turkish trenches on the Chessboard.

He was evacuated to the UK and then sent home suffering from wounds to his hip and buttock, but his main problem was his heart which gave out a few years later.

Lest we forget

S.B

Steve, Tim, Tuna,

Fantastic info, I was getting a little frustrated because everywhere I checked referred mostly too the charges of the 8th and 10th Light horse regiments.

You have given me ample info to get the research started, so truly, thank you.

Peggie,

Its the stories of William Keian and Henry Kolts that motivates me to write these up, to make sure that my family never forgets, by the time I have finished, my kids will have a complete historical account of our families military history

Lest we forget.

cheers Aaron.

Aaron,

Nothing much I can add except that of the 34 missing in action none became prisoners of war, only one light horseman being captured during the Gallipoli Campaign, and that happened earlier on.

Cheers

Bill

The 1st LH Regiment attacked as below:

post-854-1154060468.jpg

Lieutenant Nettleton, of the 1st Light Horse Regiment, was one of those killed. His notebook has recently turned up in Turkey. It lists all the men in his troop.

The following members of the 1st Light Horse, who died 7th August 1915, were probably all killed in this action:

Sergeant William John BARRY, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper John BOSEMAN, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Valentine Fennell BOWLER, 1st LHR AIF. Died of wounds 07/08/1915. Grave: Beach Cemetery.

Trooper Albert BULMER, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Henry Moore BURNS, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 22. No Known Grave.

Trooper Harold CAMPBELL, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Frank CARNEY, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Corporal Ernest Randolph CLUETT, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper John Joseph CONDELL, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Captain Wallace COX, 1st LHR AIF. Died of wounds at Pope's Hill, 07/08/1915, aged 31. No Known Grave.

Trooper William Donald CRICHTON, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Trooper Reginald Charles DE LEPERVANCHE, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Arthur Stewart DEAN, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Trooper Athol Bert EATHER, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Trooper James Martin FOLLENT, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 36. No Known Grave.

Trooper Donald Alexander FRASER, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 27. No Known Grave.

Sergeant Edward GAILLE (SERVED AS ELLIS), 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Sergeant Charles William GIBSON, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Sergeant Russell William GIBSON, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Private James GREEN, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Herbert Percival HAMILTON, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Trooper David HENDERSON, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper John JEFFREY, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 20. No Known Grave.

Trooper Stanley Ivan KAIZER, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Trooper Russell Stacey KEMPE, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Sergeant Harold Younger KERR, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 20. No Known Grave.

Trooper Edmund KILEY, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Trooper Henry Frederick KOLTS, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 35. No Known Grave.

Trooper John LAUDER, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Trooper Leslie Claude LAUNT, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Sidney LEE, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Frank LUTTRELL, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Lieutenant Burdett Philip NETTLETON, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action at Pope's Hill, 07/08/1915, aged 26. No Known Grave.

Major James Moffatt REID, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action at Dead Man's Ridge / Pope's Hill, 07/08/1915, aged 33. No Known Grave.

Trooper Cuthbert Noel RICHARDSON, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Trooper Frederick Herbert SHERWOOD, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Trooper Harold Samuel SHERWOOD, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Trooper Robert Edwin John SMITH, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Robert Joseph STEWART, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Richard TANNER, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper William Frederick TAYLOR, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Quinn’s Post Cemetery.

Trooper Edward Victor TIGHE, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Trooper Frank Laird VILLIS, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 25. No Known Grave.

Trooper Stanley VILLIS, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 23. No Known Grave.

Trooper George Edward WOMACK, 1st LHR AIF. No Known Grave.

Sergeant Frederick Richard Charles YOUNG, 1st LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 28. No Known Grave.

Trooper Peter ZEISSER, 1st LHR AIF. Grave: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery.

Lieutenant Garnet Edmund Iles TINSON, 1st Light Horse Regiment, who died of wounds at sea aboard HMHS Dunluce Castle, on 9 August 1915, aged 28, was fatally wounded during the attack, as were others. 1st LH soldiers who died soon after the action:

Lance Corporal (D.C.M, MiD) Frederick Gordon CRISP, 1st LHR AIF. Died of wounds at sea 08/08/1915. No Known Grave.

Trooper George HILLS, 1st LHR AIF. Died of wounds at sea 08/08/1915, aged 28. No Known Grave

Trooper W. [William] ISTED, 1st LHR AIF. Died (cause not stated) 16/08/1915. Grave: Cairo War Memorial Cemetery.

Bryn,

Is it possible to get a listing of all the men in his troop also what Troop of B Sqn was it?

Cheers

S.B

Bryn,

What an amazing picture, I presume thats modern day picture, perfect for when I plan to visit Gallipoli and take my children their.

The list of those men killed that day and died afterwards too is a welcome addition to the story I am putting together on this relative of ours.

I cant thank you enough, cheers Bryn.

Aaron.

Don't know how I missed them, but here are some others:

Trooper George Wesley MAGRATH, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915. No Known Grave.

Trooper Archer Gibson MANNING, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 23. No Known Grave.

Trooper James MARTIN, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915. No Known Grave.

Corporal Keith Vivers MCDONALD, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 26. No Known Grave.

Trooper Joseph Lewis MCKAY, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Trooper Owen Eric NEWTON, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 20. No Known Grave.

Trooper Arthur Wellesley OAKES, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 29. No Known Grave.

Trooper Gerald Fitzroy PEACOCKE, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 26. No Known Grave.

Trooper William Harold PINKERTON, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 22. No Known Grave.

Trooper John Leslie PRICE, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Trooper Mark REED, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 21. No Known Grave.

Trooper William Thomas ROBERTSON, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915. No Known Grave.

Trooper Cornelius John SCANLAN, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915. No Known Grave.

Trooper Cecil Job SHELDON, 1 LHR AIF. Killed in action 07/08/1915, aged 22. No Known Grave.

Aaron;

The photo was taken in 1995, after a large bushfire had burned away a lot of the vegetation. It's a lot more overgrown these days.

Steve:

I'll have at least some of that information for you soon.

nettleton.jpg

Lieutenant Burdett Phillip Nettleton, 1st Light Horse Regiment AIF

Steve,

Here are the relevant pages fom Lieut. Nettleton's book, taken from his body after the charge in 1915, and which came to light again recently in Turkey (notice some Arabic characters on the first picture).

Aaron, it seems Corporal Kolts was a section leader in Lieut. Nettleton's Troop:

nettleton1.jpg

nettleton3.jpg

nettleton2.jpg

'After holding out for three hours to the enemy lines, Major Glasgow looked round upon the few survivors and then gave the order to retire. Major Moffat Reid lay dead among his fallen. Nettleton also was dead. Wallace Cox was shattered. Tinson was helpless. The big form of Trooper Oakes, a B.A. of Sydney University, and guard to the bomb-throwers on this fatal occasion, lay upon the right of the Turkish parapet, where he fell at his post.' (Diary extract; Chaplain E.N. Merrington. AWM 1DRL/0496).

'Informant knew Nettleton well. On the morning of August 7th a charge was made in front of Pope's Hill. Some Turkish trenches were taken and held for some hours.

Nettleton did splendid work, was very cool and proved himself to be [a] first class soldier. He was unfortunately one of the last to be killed before the retirement took place. His body was left behind in the trenches and was buried by the Turks.

Ref: Sgt. E. Collette, 562, 1st A.L.H. Gezireh Hospital, Cairo.' (Red Cross Investigation report, dated 9 December 1915. Copy was sent to Next of Kin 14 March 1916).

Bryn,

Is it possible to get a listing of all the men in his troop also what Troop of B Sqn was it?

Cheers

S.B

Yes,

I wonder if my man Kolts is mentioned in his notebook, also Bryn, when you say, Recently turned up in Turkey" I presume you mean a Turkish soldier must have taken the notebook from young Nettletons body?? and this has been handed down through the generations of a Turkish family ??

cheers Aaron.

Bryn,

Sorry, just caught up with your last post......AMAZING !!! my wife is dumbfounded on what we ahve found out about her Great Grandfathrs brother in the last couple of days.....and to see his name metioned in taht note book is truy quite incredible.

Thanks Bryn, would you like a copy of the Kolts story when I have put it all together ??

cheers Aaron.

Aaron, I don't know the history of Lieut Nettleton's notebook exactly, except that it was taken from his body by a Turkish soldier before he was buried. I assume it was passed on through the family after that, and last year I was contacted regarding its existence.

Have you seen Trooper Koltz's original Service Record held by the National Archives in Canberra?

If not, go to http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

Login as a guest and search: kolts 333

The Search Results Page should indicate only 1 record was found.

Hit the 'Display' button then 'View Digital Copy'. It's all there.

You'll also find his embarkation details here: http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm8/10_6_1/pdf/0220.pdf

Bryn,

Hi Yes, Have found his records, The Aussies certainly have done it with these digitised images of service records. What an amazing resource.

cheers mate, Aaron.

Thanks Bryn for the list.

I did a quick look at my DB and found that Lt Nettleton was possibly in A Troop B Sqn.

Alfred Dick was Troop Sgt was a Boer War Vetern of the Impiral LH and then spent some 9 years in the Durham LT Inf, he was WIA 26-5-15 GSW foot (it was said he shot himseft in the foot before they were due to go up to the front line, T/Sgt Barry called him a coward and shirker).

Charles Howard replaced Sgt Dick aas T/Sgt (who along with T/Sgt Barry were prom the same day for the same reason?) Howard had embark as Prov Sgt but reverted to Troop Cpl on arrival in Egypt, he was replaced by Sgt Clarrie Edwards on the 15-7-15 and revereted to Cpl again and was killed in France as Sgt with the 2Bn AIF.

Stan Russell was Shoe/Smith Cpl and is not shown in the charge but was later disch to the British Army as 2/Lt RAVC and went to the 11Bn Devon Regt in France.

William Barry was Cpl T/Sgt and replaced Sgt Dick and was KIA 7-8-15.

Rowan Ross was WIA 7-8-15 GSW thigh

George Hughes had been evac ill on the 19-7-15 and was not at the charge.

Robert Perrau was WIA 7-8-15 and DOW 8-8-15 at sea

Cecil Reading was WIA 7-8-15 leg

Collingwood Cooper was KIA 26-7-15

Walter Thomson survied the charge

Edwin Hawes a Boer War Vetern also surived and was made T/Cpl replacing Cpl Kiley B Sqn

Charles Dalrymple-Hays also survied and replaced Cpl Barry

Fredserick Sellers DoW 30-5-15

George McGregor was a Sig and Survied if he did charge?

Henry Kolts a Boer War Vetern was KIA.

Chrisopher Commens also survied and later joined the Camel Corps.

Joseph McKay was KIA 7-8-15

Alfred Clark DoW 27-5-15

George Barnes was WIA in May 1915

William Fell had been evac ill 6-8-15 he later also joined the Camel Corps but was killed in the AFC when trying to rescue the crew of a crushed plane.

Harold Stieme surived the charge

Arthur Dean was KIA 7-8-15

unknown name

Robert Parkinson had been WIA 12-6-15 arm

Walter Thomas was WIA 7-8-15 leg

Charles Gilbert survied but a month later was evac with shell shock and disch.

Alfred Gorrie had been evac ill 23-7-15

Charles Paul survived

John Pope was KIA 26-5-15

Thomas Hagley was not in the charge and returned to his Troop on the 10-8-15 he later was KIA 20-4-18,

Francis Russell a Boer War Vetern was WIA 31-5-15 and crippled with spinal cord damage.

These last three could have been attach before the charge but were not in the Troop on the 7-8-15.

Harold Howarth Sig/Cpl was WIA 7-8-15 hand

John Calthorpe was Sig and Band Sgt and WIA 2-7-15 jaw

Edgar Mills was Sig and survied the charge if he was in it?

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

Great to get a run down of the casualty list for that troop mentioned in Nettletons diary, makes for sobering reading, most of them being casualties. I also note tha t on the 26th May my relative Kolts was promoted to Temp Lance Corporal, however on the same day the promotion was cancelled. I wonder what the reason for that was...... also interesting the alleged shooting one self in the foot...I wonder how many of them did that..poor beggars.

cheers Aaron.

Mate,

I can only think that like all battles that after the action there is always promotion for some one.

And with those WIA and KIA that day there were a number of prom's along the rank structure.

Of cause not all prom's were taken and more then one soldier handed back there rank during the war.

As to why he should shot himself (Sgt Dick) I can say that there are many cases of soldiers who for one reason or another had to get out of there, Sgt Dick was an old soldier and by accounts of his men they didn't trust him, but what ever the reason his record is clean being no mention of him having a SIW (self inflicted wound) on his records.

But there is an interesting letter from the father of T/Sgt Bill Barry where he goes into the reasons for but dosn't name Dick as such, in Barry's service record.

Cheers

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I read that letter, yes very interesting indeed. Thanks for all your help, on this forum and the other one. just awesome, your a legend Steve. As promised I will let you know when I have put his story all together.

Best regards Aaron.

Mate,

I can only think that like all battles that after the action there is always promotion for some one.

And with those WIA and KIA that day there were a number of prom's along the rank structure.

Of cause not all prom's were taken and more then one soldier handed back there rank during the war.

As to why he should shot himself (Sgt Dick) I can say that there are many cases of soldiers who for one reason or another had to get out of there, Sgt Dick was an old soldier and by accounts of his men they didn't trust him, but what ever the reason his record is clean being no mention of him having a SIW (self inflicted wound) on his records.

But there is an interesting letter from the father of T/Sgt Bill Barry where he goes into the reasons for but dosn't name Dick as such, in Barry's service record.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve and Aaron.

My great grandfather was Alfred Dick. I would be interested to see the letter that you refer to - can you give me a link?

I did wonder if he had shot himself, but as he was severely wounded in the Boer war and the wound is mentioned in his ALH conscription papers, I would like to believe he was not a coward or he would not have signed up again.

Any info you have would be great, because I still have some missing links that I am trying to find. For info, he was a rubber planter in Selangor before and after his time in the ALH and he eventually retired to and died in Aus.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Suzanne