2nd Highland Light Infantry 10322 Private

2nd Highland Light Infantry 10322 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/9

Ian,

thank you so mutch

rain or no rain I am :D

only a pitty I cann't take my computer with me to england tomorow. :(

I don't want to upset my husband since it is ower wedding anniversary on monday and I'm expecting some thing. :D so no computer for me in the next few days

sabine

hello,

I'm back from england. they didn't want to keep me there, plenty of blondes :P

I did get some info about Mclean(the one who got the letter from James W Hardy.)

thank you aceharland for that.

He was a second lt and joined the bn on 23/10/1916,

was wounded on 09/04/1917 at arras

rejoined the bn at 12/05/1917

he was a WIA

Hardy or Hardie 2 lt rejoined the bn on 11/12/1917 from hospital and was promoted capt on 05/02/1918

wounded again on 25/03/1918, when the bn was with the 35th division.

so I am still not finished.

sabine

ps: aurel,Tim

I found a nice book in Bath about plugstreet and it has postcards in it with wooden crosses, like strand cemeterie. :D knew I would find something

ps: aurel,Tim

I found a nice book in Bath about plugstreet and it has postcards in it with wooden crosses, like strand cemeterie. :D knew I would find something

Sabine,

I would be interested in the Strand Cemetery wooden crosses postcard. Could you email it or post it in this Topic ?

Aurel

P.S. If you do and I don't reply : don't worry, for I won't be 'available' the first 3 weeks of September.

aurel,

I'll send you an email this evening

sabine

Sabine,

One for you from the Soldiers thread - Scots Regt casualties from Ireland:

GREENWOOD William Pte. 12th (S) Btn HLI. Died of wounds 31st July 1917. Service no. 19426 Aged 27, born Ballymena son of John and Isabella Greenwood of Broughdone. Enlisted Coatbridge, lived Airdrie. Buried Brandhoek New Mil. Cem. No. 3 Ypres. Comm. Cullybackey UF Church.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you so mutch,

I'll start hunting now to find pictures of the men you have send me. let you know if my hunt was succesful.

I did get some new info this afternoon from jan at passchendaele archives about 12 hln at 31/07/1917.

more names from farms in the area, a map, so still a lot of work for me

sabine

ps they found 4 bodies today at frezenbergstreet propably australians died during the 3th battle of ieper in 1917

sabine

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

still working to find more info, have contact now with the granddaughter of frederick thomas gardiner's wife

who remarried in 1927, I might get lucky

who know's maybe there ares still pictures and letters in the family.

sabine

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I did find a lot more about frederick, pictures, letters written by him to his family.

I'm still working on it and hope to meet someone next week who might be able to help with some questions I still have.

If anything turns up I'll be back

kind regards

sabine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi andrew,

know how it feels but cann't let it go.

I thought if the cross was the original one that there must be some papers like reburial or any thing else where they would of found it.and there would be cordinates on a map

I guess you can think who I met last weekend, but the cross is a memorial one so no luck.

But there is still one changeI know the name of one of the soldiers who died with him and where he is buried, so if I could find out if he was reburied or not we could find the place.

cross your fingers because I want to dig any way

kind regards

sabine ( as crazy as every) :wacko:

o congratulations on becoming a modurator

Let us know what you discover. Good luck!

Oh my god!!!...........I can feel a migraine coming on.

Good luck with the research Sabine. Hope to hear very soon what you find out.

Myself, Kim (ozzie), Andrew P and Frev will be in Belgium in the next couple of days - look out for our GWF badges!!

Cheers,

Tim L.

Andrew,

Thank you I will need it.

Tim

see you at the menin gate on 31/07/2007 david will be there too.

kind regards

sabine

• 2 months later...

After spending much time on the overlong post "The man who used to have a grave"I came across the following from the book "Under Flanders Fields" . The only tunneller VC was a Spr. Hackett who died remaining with an injured comrade at the "Red Dragon Crater" near Givenchy, the bodies were never recovered.

However Spr. Hackett is remembered on Ploegsteert memorial, Spr. Collins is remembered on the Thiepval memorial , any logic ?

I am not wishing to reintroduce the aforementioned post, far from it but I read the question of soldiers KIA together & being on different memorials.

Colin

hello,

I have been busy all summer doing so many thing's but never forgotten about my Frederick.

From november the 15th I'm starting again on only looking for things about him all the rest will be put away. I've been making a lot of new friends this summer people who are willing to help me and teach me what it need to do first and can help me with contacting the people I need for my quest, my missing link.

and most important the owners of the fields I want to explore.

Believe it or not with or without the husbands "yes you can "I 'm out on the field this winter. :rolleyes:

so I hope by the end of the winter I can tell more.

sabine

• 2 years later...

still hunting,

this summer I got a copy of the wardiary,( made me jump up and down), went trough everything I found, and realised, that the place I had in mind was wrong.so more study to come.

sabine

• 6 years later...

Hello

Been a long time, but Fred has never left me for a day since that fisrst post many moons ago.

He will be commemerated on a special way this year at 31/07/2017 at zero our.

Kind regards

Sabine

• 5 years later...

Hi, its been a long time since your opening post but has there been any updates on Fred Gardiner over the years? Here's an image I have of Fred when serving with the 1/5th (TF) Btn Sherwood Foresters, with the cyclists platoon.  

image.jpeg