Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Many Tunics Were Issued?

Broznitsky

Caveat: I am pinching this question (which has piqued my interest) from another author on another forum, because I think the Pals might be able to answer it.

"How many tunics were CEF or BEF soldiers issued? How often were these replaced? Obviously as needed, due to action, but in normal use, how long were the uniforms expected to last?

One issue that complicates this question is the WWI practice of using metal insignia. To mount the badges required cutting slits or holes in a tunic. If the fellow was transfered, (as most enlisting after late 1915 were required to do), the badging would not necessarilly fit the old unit "holes." A tunic could be pretty messy after a transfer. Or, were new tunics issued when the transfer took place?"

I'm betting Joe Sweeney will have an answer :P

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Prior to the outbreak of War standard issue in British and Canadian Permanent Force units was two jackets per soldier. Reissue was based on calculated wear-out dates, mandated change in pattern, charge to soldier or really good justification for why the jacket was no longer serviceable.

Upon mobilization the issue scales changed to one jacket per soldier. The rebadging of a jacket was not reason alone for a new issue of a jacket in an army very conscious of economy.

However, issue of clothing could very well depend on the extravagance of the units concerned. Clothing needs were fulfilled by indents submitted by unit quartermasters to the Ordnance officer of a division or District or what ever administrative circumstances a unit was in. Clothing or articles would then be drawn in exchange for a like number of turned in articles, soldier charged the cost of the article, or wrote off if lost in action. Or at least that is how it was supposed to work. This system did promote waist as I have numerous GRO's denouncing the practice of turning in perfectly serviceable articles of clothing.

So a soldier could be lucky enough to replace for jacket based on rebadging if the unit had stores enough to allow even though officially this is not grounds for reissue. Although units that did not practice economy soon felt the wrath of higher headquarters.

As the war progressed it became more critical to curtail waist. In fact a system was developed where-by Divisions kept comparative statistics of issues to turn-ins. Unfortunately very little of these statistics survived.

The Canadian Corps is recorded as issuing orders to the effect that for Mess-Tins and Puttees indents would be forwarded to the base and when stores are received by the D.A.D.O.S. units informed, but no issues would take place until 90% of old tins and Puttees turned in. A certificate by the unit Paymaster showing the value of lost articles has been deducted from the pay of the men concerned will be accepted in lieu of tins and puttees turned in.

This haphazard system changed in 1918 to one of an allowance of articles. The monthly allowance being (For all units under the BEF-this included the Canadian Corps)

per 100 dismounted men

Jackets 12

trousers 15

Puttees 12

caps 5

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Joe Sweeney