Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Missing" headstones

CROONAERT

(Possibly one for Terry)

Whilst doing a little research for the forthcoming NW England meet, I've noticed that the (CWGC) headstones for two of the "Accrington Pals" in Accrington Cemetery are missing (ie , they don't have one - I don't know if they ever have had!). Both are listed on SDGW and the CWGC site, so they are known about. There's no "screen wall" or named memorial in the cemetery (as there is in Burnley cemetery - I posted a similar observation previously regarding two "missing" Canadians in Burnley) where they are listed.

Does anyone know the CWGC policy regarding this matter and what can I do to resolve it?

Dave. ;)

PS I can't find them in any "Family" grave either.

Dave

It is possible that they are private graves which originally had private headstones (or none) and are therefore not CWGC's responsibility.

However, if there are no plans to replace them by n-o-k if they are genuinely missing, CWGC would like to know about it. In such circumstances they try to rectify the situation and eventually may erect official headstones if the right permissions can be gained.

Email them on ukaoffice@cwgc.org and report the matter. They will also be able to confirm if the original stones were private or not.

Who are the two casualties?

Let me know how you get on.

PS. Are you sure that there are no headstones? Often a kerb type grave surround bears the name inscription and these can be buried after so long a time. I have had to actually dig down an inch or two through grass tufts and moss etc to find some private grave markers in UK cemeteries.

Thanks Terry.

I will contact the CWGC about it (and hope I have a better response than the last time I tried on a similar matter - zero!).

The area where the soldiers (17957 Pte James Harling, and 24758 Pte. Percy Harling) are buried are only small (similar size to a penelty area on a football field)and look like quite a few headstones have been "cleared" over the past few years. I must have spent about 3 hours on Sunday and last Saturday just scouring these two plots, so I'm quite confident to say that they're definately not there.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

It is quite fashionable for local authorities to clear cemeteries of headstones at the moment (or to lay them flat). They cite health and safety regulations but it is usually as a result of over zealous companies selling councils their services for checking cemetery 'safety' (I speak as a parish councillor in charge of a cemetery - one with only four war graves).

CWGC often do not know of such moves and it is up to the public to keep an eye open and let them know. Unfortunately, CWGC's remit is limited in such cases where private graves are concerned. It was not until a few years after their formation that CWGC were even given the responsibility for recording war graves in the UK. Even then this was made doubly difficult by the - understandable - allowance of private graves where CWGC had no responsibility other than recording the name.

I cannot comment on the response you received to your former enquiry to CWGC but knowing the right office to approach and the restrictions relating to private graves is useful. They get thousands of enquiries each year (20,000 is the figure I seem to remember) and naturally those that seem to understand the problems receive a more sympathetic ear. However, there is never an excuse for no response.

PS. I totally accept your assertion that the grave markers do not exist in your example but I can also recall searching a cemetery for three whole days only to discover later that I had totally overlooked the headstone for which I was searching!!!!! Annoyed wasn't the word.

Just to add to the above my local cemetery has recently been laying headstones flat on the grounds of health and safety.

CWGC plot however has not been disturbed.

Bob.