Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment

nunnj1954

I have a Frederick Watton in my family tree who was born in 1893 at Sudbury, Suffolk, his name appears on the Sudbury War Memorial as died 1915, family rumour has it that he died of fever in Palestine, however I have been unable to find him on the CWWG web site, an email to them received the reply that they did not have him listed!! I suspect he might have been in the Suffolk Regiment, possibly at Gallipoli? can anyone help find him please.

I posted the above message some time ago, further information has now come to light, apparently a newspaper article in the local paper dated 9th August 1916 states that a Corporal W Watton of the 5th Batt Suffolks was amongst those remembered in a Memorial service held at the local church at Sudbury, Suffolk. So I am wondering if any of those that kindly helped in my search a few months ago, might recheck their data this time for a Cpl W Watton of the 5th Battalion Suffolks, for me, many thanks. John

Hi John,

I am sorry to say that nothing has shown up on SDGW.

post-210-1153342973.jpg

Regards

Arthur

Thanks very much for your reply Arthur.

CWGC lists nobody fitting your name but there is a WOLTON 5/Suffolks.

However, he is an officer with different initials!

Dear John,

Is Frederick definitely your ancestors first name? I know certainly older relations of mine (all from Suffolk funnily enough!) often went by their middle or second names. I've just checked the National Archive online medal index cards and although there are 7 Frederick Wattons, none of them served in the Suffolk Regiment (also, do you know for certain he was with this regiment?).

I've found 2 William Wattons in the Suffolks, however (no middle names mentioned), the first was a corporal (number 27) in the regiment (possibly the corporal you mention) who then (according to his medal index card) went on to be a serjeant (number 78023) in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment. The other William Watton was a private (number 44474) in the Suffolk Regiment. Unless the name was mispelt by the CWGC, I cannot find entries for either of these on their website for 1915 - though that's not to say they may not be recorded as dying outwith 1915.

cheers

Steve

John,

Just did another check - this time the online Suffolk County Council roll of honour - according to this the "Fred Watton" on the Sudbury roll was with the Royal Engineers. This probably complicates matters further - but the unit information for the Suffolk roll was alegedly supplied by relatives rather than any offical source, and the information isn't always correct!

However, I've done another quick search of the NA website and have found 2 possible contenders (again assuming the names were originally spelt correctly):

Herbert F. Watton (I suppose the F could be for Frederick) of the Royal Engineers, was a corporal (number 229650 and later WR263699)

Frederick G. Watton of the Royal Engineers, was a pioneer (number 221657) - and this man has two medal index cards - one of which appears to indicate he received some sort of gallantry medal!

Again, however, I've not found either of these men on the CWGC website - so the plot thickens still further!

cheers

Steve

Dear John,

Is Frederick definitely your ancestors first name? I know certainly older relations of mine (all from Suffolk funnily enough!) often went by their middle or second names. I've just checked the National Archive online medal index cards and although there are 7 Frederick Wattons, none of them served in the Suffolk Regiment (also, do you know for certain he was with this regiment?).

I've found 2 William Wattons in the Suffolks, however (no middle names mentioned), the first was a corporal (number 27) in the regiment (possibly the corporal you mention) who then (according to his medal index card) went on to be a serjeant (number 78023) in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment. The other William Watton was a private (number 44474) in the Suffolk Regiment. Unless the name was mispelt by the CWGC, I cannot find entries for either of these on their website for 1915 - though that's not to say they may not be recorded as dying outwith 1915.

cheers

Steve

Dear Steve

Thanks for your reply, a recently found newspaper article states a memorial service held for the men of Sudbury lost in WW1 which was held on 9th Aug 1916 at St Peters Church, Sudbury, amongst those remembered were a Corporal W Watton of the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regt, I now beleive that this was my Watton, and as you say using his second christian name. I notice also that we both have ancestors killed on the 21st Aug 1915 at Gallipoli, and both were with the 1/5th Suffolk Regiment. Regards John

Dear Steve

Thanks for your reply, a recently found newspaper article states a memorial service held for the men of Sudbury lost in WW1 which was held on 9th Aug 1916 at St Peters Church, Sudbury, amongst those remembered were a Corporal W Watton of the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regt, I now beleive that this was my Watton, and as you say using his second christian name. I notice also that we both have ancestors killed on the 21st Aug 1915 at Gallipoli, and both were with the 1/5th Suffolk Regiment. Regards John

Hi John,

I can't remember which thread it was now, but by any chance was it you that previously posted the photograph of the Long Melford veterens gathered outside Melford Hall?

My gran's cousin Stanley Scarff, who was in the 5th Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment was from Hadleigh in Suffolk (I seem to recall there being a number of 5th Battalion casualties from Hadleigh) - was your great uncle also a Sudbury lad?

Best regards

Steve

Hi John,

I can't remember which thread it was now, but by any chance was it you that previously posted the photograph of the Long Melford veterens gathered outside Melford Hall?

My gran's cousin Stanley Scarff, who was in the 5th Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment was from Hadleigh in Suffolk (I seem to recall there being a number of 5th Battalion casualties from Hadleigh) - was your great uncle also a Sudbury lad?

Best regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes it was me who posted the photo of the Long Melford veterans. My great uncle Harry Griggs was the man who was killed on the same day as your Stanley Scarff, Harry was also from Hadleigh!!!!!

Best regards

John

Hi Steve,

Yes it was me who posted the photo of the Long Melford veterans. My great uncle Harry Griggs was the man who was killed on the same day as your Stanley Scarff, Harry was also from Hadleigh!!!!!

Best regards

John

Hi John,

Chances are then they probably knew each other quite well. One of the other chaps on my signature, Bert Bowers (a second cousin of my grandfather's), was also a Hadleigh lad.

cheers

Steve