Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1Bn Rifle Brigade

Bazezah

Mark,

I found him in one of the Battalions War Diaries as a wounded entry and today(make that yesterday, sheesh where does time go) I was at The National Archives so pulled his officers papers for you. They are a little bit muddled up, more than I have seen in other officers papers so am just putting them in some chronological order for you at the moment.

I cannot find any reference to him being stuck in the snow at the 2nd Ypres, commission dates from 15/1/16, application for a commission 8/12/15, but he was wounded and stuck in no mans land for 24 hours when serving with the 11th Battalion, 20th Division at Flers on the Somme.

If you would care to e mail me your e mail address I will send his officers file to you with pleasure. Ah and the reason I knew about the maiden name is in his file is his birth certificate. It probably will not come out with the resizing required for the forum but it is his file.

Andy

post-1871-1159226879.jpg

Before his application for a commission he said his occupation was a student and gave an address in Jesus lane in Cambridge having passed Oxbridge at Clifton College. Cannot find any reference to his having served before his application for a commission but will keep digging for you.

Nice package to give your relation about his father. when you meet him :D

Andy

Mark,

It would appear he was attached to the 11th Battalion until wounded. After recovery he went to the 10th Battalion.

Andy

Mark,

It would appear he was attached to the 11th Battalion until wounded. After recovery he went to the 10th Battalion.

Andy

Hi Andy

Fantastic Andy! Thanks so much!

I tried to send you a Personal Message but came up with this message:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or their personal messenger inbox is full."

I can give my email address over the forum, but would prefer a PM.

Best

Mark

Hi Mark,

My personal message box is full, a few requests from people about the RB in there. Received your e mail address so I will get his papers off to you shortly. If you are ever at Kew again his Officers file can be viewed by ordering the document WO339/29992.

All the best

Andy

Mark,

All the photographs of Eliot's officers file sent away, glad that you got them OK.

Have found him in the 10th Battalions War Diary when he was wounded in 1917 and in the 11th Battalions for the September 1916 wounding on the Somme, where I believe the family story of him being wounded and in no man's land comes from. I will get these off to you tomorrow for your perusal.

Enjoy the reading.

Andy

Mark,

All the photographs of Eliot's officers file sent away, glad that you got them OK.

Have found him in the 10th Battalions War Diary when he was wounded in 1917 and in the 11th Battalions for the September 1916 wounding on the Somme, where I believe the family story of him being wounded and in no man's land comes from. I will get these off to you tomorrow for your perusal.

Enjoy the reading.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Can't wait.

If wife knows I'm up this late again I'm for the chop so we'll correspond tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mark

Mark,

Casualty report for Lieut. Trapnell

Amazing! To see the actual date allows me to look at the particular action where it happened.

It really brings it home!

Thanks again Andy, you've been an absolute star!

Mark,

The 11th Rifle Brigade War service record and the War Diary for the 10th Rifle Brigade in August 1917 all sent.

Glad to have been able to help you, just got to check a couple more things and then that is all I have for your relation.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Barrie,

As your man joined the 2nd in 1908 I am sending you the battalion's letters to the regiment detailing the battalions exploits and service from 1908 to 1914 to compliment the war service record.

Andy

Barrie,

As your man joined the 2nd in 1908 I am sending you the battalion's letters to the regiment detailing the battalions exploits and service from 1908 to 1914 to compliment the war service record.

Andy

Thanks once again for this.

Barrie,

Your welcome, 1908 sent. If you need the details of the sports days etc etc let me know as these are in a seperate section of the Chronicles. It will give you a good idea of your mans service.

Andy

Barrie,

Your welcome, 1908 sent. If you need the details of the sports days etc etc let me know as these are in a seperate section of the Chronicles. It will give you a good idea of your mans service.

Andy

Andy,

Got them. Any info incluing the sports days do indeed give an insight into the times, thanks, these would be welcome too.

Barrie,

All the 2nd Battalion's Sports day information sent to you, 1908 - 1914, enjoy the reading. Did smile at the Pillow Fighting on horseback.

Andy

• 9 months later...
I have the complete 1st Rifle Brigade War Diary.

Andy

Just discovered a new relative thanks to Ancestry 'Pension' records. He was a pre-war regular recalled from the reserve in August 1914 back into the 1st Bn Rifle Brigade. He was 'severley wounded' on 15/16 November 1914. Any chance of an extract of the war diary covering the period to give background to the actions he would have been involved in.

Also do you have any other information on him he was 9880 William Thorneycroft (seems to have moved between Pte, L/Cpl and Cpl a few times). He was shipped back to England in late Nov 1914, transferred to 5th Bn until discharged at the end of his period of engagement in May 1916.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter

Peter,

Send me an e-mail (pm box full yet again) with your e mail address on it and I will send the relevant period to you. Will check my records for any details on him tomorrow.

Andy

Peter,

1st RB War Diary for the period you are after all sent, enjoy the reading.

Andy

Peter,

As you have said his records are on Ancestry, if you need the Medal Rolls, let me know.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Thats great Andy! Thanks for your help! Where out of interest were the parents details listed? And with such detail (nee Badock!)

Best

Mark

I hope you don't mind me asking but I am looking for the war diaries of the 11bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps for the 20th September l917 as my Great Uncle Bertie Coley-Buckley was wounded on this date and later died from his wounds at a dressing station we do not know where as his body was lost. His name is on Tyne-Cot cemetery. Thanks Julie.