Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1Bn Rifle Brigade

Bazezah

Hi All,

Can anyone help with the War Diary of the 1Bn Rifle Brigade, from 25 to 27 January 1917 (or there abouts).

Researching S/15369 Rifleman Ernest Fredrick Weetch KIA 26 Jan 1917.

Regards Barry

Barry,

Drop me a PM with your e-mail on, I have the complete 1st Rifle Brigade War Diary.

Andy

Barry just about to send them as we speak now.

Andy

Thank you Andy,

I'll have a read and if I have any questions I'd like to get back to you if I may.

Barry

Barry,

Glad you got them OK, not a poroblem ask away, if I can help I will.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Read through the Diaries you sent of the 1Bn Rifle Brigade. What can I say, words cannot describe what those men went through, one can under stand why very few spoke of their experiences.

Just a couple of quick ones, My man had a regimental number S/15369 what did the S represent. and when and were was the 1Bn Rifle Brigade formed.

I managed to decipher the feint pencil writing.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Glad that you managed to decipher the writing. The S prefix denoted New Army men, numbers ranged from S/1 to S/38107.

The 1st Battalion was a regular battalion and as such was formed in 1800, assembled in Horsham in March 1800 as it's first time together.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BDelf,

I have some of the 2nd RB War Diary and their War Service Record, is there any particular time you are looking for.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the delay.

I am looking for details of Egbert James Burns (No. 2582 Date of enlistment 3rd January 1908) who by the time of discharge on 18th November 1919 (In receipt of SWB) was acting sargeant. He received the 1914 Star which showed Date of disembarkation as 7th November 1914 (rank Lance Corporal), so anything you have between these dates would be useful.

Hi BDelf,

Phew, that covers the whole period the 2nd were in France and then a little.

On October 22nd, 1914 the 2nd Battalion arrived in Liverpool, returning from India. On the 23rd they were in Winchester and marched to Hursley Park.

On November 5th the 2nd Bn. marched to Southampton and embarked in the S.S. Victoria and on the 6th at 2 a.m. they sailed from Southampton. The Bn. disembarked at Havre at 10.30 a.m. on the 7th and marched to Rest Camp No.1.

If you pm me your e mail address I will forward the War Service Record of the 2nd Battalion to you as it is quite lengthy to place on the forum.

Andy

Hi BDelf,

Phew, that covers the whole period the 2nd were in France and then a little.

On October 22nd, 1914 the 2nd Battalion arrived in Liverpool, returning from India. On the 23rd they were in Winchester and marched to Hursley Park.

On November 5th the 2nd Bn. marched to Southampton and embarked in the S.S. Victoria and on the 6th at 2 a.m. they sailed from Southampton. The Bn. disembarked at Havre at 10.30 a.m. on the 7th and marched to Rest Camp No.1.

If you pm me your e mail address I will forward the War Service Record of the 2nd Battalion to you as it is quite lengthy to place on the forum.

Andy

I have sent a PM with my e-mail address. Thanks very much.

I will start getting the material ready to send shortly.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I'm just starting a little bit of research for a great Uncle on his father, Lieutenant Eliot Trapnell. He is listed as being in the Rifle Brigade. It is unclear to me what battalion he was in. Can you find any listing in the records you have on the rifle brigade of this chap? Any further indication as to what unit he was with would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance!

Mark Trapnell

Hi Mark,

Will have a little look for you this weekend. I do not have the Army lists but he must have joined a battalion later in the war as I have no record of him in the earlier part.

Andy

Hi Mark,

Will have a little look for you this weekend. I do not have the Army lists but he must have joined a battalion later in the war as I have no record of him in the earlier part.

Andy

Thanks Andy

If its any help his medal card says that he entered the tehatre of combat (France) on 13.7.16.

Maybe this will identify who he was with?

Best

Mark

Barrie,

The 2nd Rifle Brigades War Service Record all sent to you now, hope you enjoy the reading.

Andy

Barrie,

The 2nd Rifle Brigades War Service Record all sent to you now, hope you enjoy the reading.

Andy

Andy

You're a star. Have started reading most and make intersting reading. Thanks once again for all your time and effort which is much appreciated.

Mark,

Have found what looks like your relation just want to check to ensure it is the right one as two officers with that name.

Father:- Henry Caleb Trapnell

Mother:- Edith Mary Trapnell, nee Badock.

Born 23/12/1896 in Clifton, Bristol.

Andy

Mark,

Have found what looks like your relation just want to check to ensure it is the right one as two officers with that name.

Father:- Henry Caleb Trapnell

Mother:- Edith Mary Trapnell, nee Badock.

Born 23/12/1896 in Clifton, Bristol.

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, thats him. I am researching my grandfather Hallam Trapnell, who was also their son, and I will be meeting my "uncle" who was son of Eliot. When I bumped into him at a family gathering recently I asked if he had any info on my grandfather. He said he had a letter from Eliot to Hallam (brothers) after Eliot had been stuck out in no mans land at the second Ypres. Before we meet it would be interesting to maybe know a little about his father and maybe tell or show him something he didn't know. It would really bring it home to him the reality of his fathers' earlier life. This has been the case for my father as I have shown him more information and third party diaries mentioning Hallam Trapnell, his father!

Any info you have or further research you can give me would be great!

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Good news indeed, glad that it is your relation. Eliot was 6th Battalion Rifle Brigade attached to a couple of battalions during his service life in WW1. I will double check what I have been able to find out for you but I believe he spent quite a bit of time in hospital after being wounded and was then sent to another battalion.

Andy

Mark,

Good news indeed, glad that it is your relation. Eliot was 6th Battalion Rifle Brigade attached to a couple of battalions during his service life in WW1. I will double check what I have been able to find out for you but I believe he spent quite a bit of time in hospital after being wounded and was then sent to another battalion.

Andy

Thats great Andy! Thanks for your help! Where out of interest were the parents details listed? And with such detail (nee Badock!)

Best

Mark