Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade

riflegreen

Hi - a real long shot that's been mentioned before, its a guess only that my relative was in Rifle Brigade, based on Uniform, only know his name:

CHARLIE THOMAS, or Chas, Charles, or other??? was KIA, never returned to London, Camden or Islington area. That's about all I know to date. Any mentions?? thanks Lyn

Lyn,

Can you place a picture of the uniform here, as there is no Chas or Charles THOMAS that I can see in CWGC in the R.B.'s

Andy

Hi there - wil try to get the pic in here

post-10810-1174344945.jpg

He is not Rifle Brigade , the cap badge is wrong , there is a Charles Thomas in the CWGC site belonging to the KRRC .

The cap badge in the photo is black , RB is shiny .

Chris

Thanks Chris it certainly did not look like RB and I could not make it out when I tried to resize it.

Andy

Chris, Andy, many thanks, I've been trying to search GWGC but keep getting the same odd list of 10 unrelated names?

Have found a few thomas' in KRRC register but no first names that match, am guessing that another name was used so now searching for Holloway, or Islington Born and enlisted. Born in 1895 so not the Henry Thomas died in 1917 as age at death was 39. Charlies dad was named Henry. His uncles name was William, and his cousin (my father) was Owen William Richard. Haven't found any possibles under these names yet. Do you think he could be listed as Thomas Charles? Lyn

:) Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for this information. Was there anything listed against his name on the 1914 Star roll?

Do you think it is likely that the Rifle Brigade Museum would have anything relating to him, ie, Group photo of Sergeants of the 3rd bn etc?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Stewart,

If you can give me a few days I will have a look for some photographs of 3rd Bn N.C.O.'s for you. There is nothing else against his name in the 1914 Star Roll apart from medal sent by post on 8-7-19.

Andy

:) Hello,

That would be great if you can find something. Did any of the 3rd Bn get the Clasp for their 1914 Stars?

All the best,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Quite a few of them got Clasps & Roses, will see what I can find re the 3rd N.C.O.'S for you.

Andy

Tom,

The London Rifle Brigade is the 5th Battalion, London Regiment.

Andy

Stewart,

I have been all through my material and have nothing of N.C.O.'s or other ranks of the 3rd RB circa WW1, many other battalions but not the 3rd.

Andy

Gareth,

G. Buck, # 610, overseas 10-9-14, Clasps & Roses.

Transfered to M.G.C. as No.21064

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Gareth,

Bucks entry is the 3rd one down. If you need the whole roll sheet let me know.

Andy

post-1871-1175974434.jpg

Hello Chris

I am researching the service of my GGreat Uncle, Arthur Glew. Arthur was a member of 10/KOYLI who arrived in France in September 1915, just in time for Loos.

I have checked Arthurs MIC and the Medal Rolls and found that at some time he transferred to 2/Rifle Brigade and then to 13/Rifle Brigade. His details are as follows: 10/21351 Pte Arthur Glew, 10/KOYLI and 48280 Pte Arthur Glew 2/Rifle Brigade and then 13/Rifle Brigade, KIA 25th August 1918. On checking the RB medal rolls I noticed that there are a very large number of ex-KOYLI, all with consecutive numbers. 10/KOYLI disbanded in Feb 1918. Is there any indication in the Rifle Brigade history to say whether the 13/RB took on a large number of ex 10/KOYLI men (who had initially been transferred to 2/Rifle Brigade) either in February or March 1918.

Andy

Good Evening

Nothing like an instant reply is there? It has only been 4 years until I spotted this.

A long shot but a couple of questions if I may: Was there a surviving "Glew" who remained in the KOYLI TA as an officer beyond the end of the Great War? Is there a Goole or Airmyn, Yorkshire connection and did the Glew family have any connection to the motor trade?

The reason I ask is that my Grandfather, Harry Richardson, was also an officer in the KOYLI (5th Bn, I think) , going to France in 1915. He survived and I have a number of photographs of him and other officers. I showed one of these photos to my aged Aunt a few months ago and asked "who is that officer?" She said, "That's Mr Glew. He is the one that rescued your Uncle David from drowning in the river at Airmyn. "

If you have a connection, or indeed an interest, a scan of the photo is yours - two officers at what I presume to be a TA camp in the 1920's. My cousin operates his Motor car business today from a garage still known locally as "Glew's Garage".

Also, if there is any resonance, can you tell me anything that would fill in blanks about Harry Richardson and his service?

Asta La Pasta

Adam

• 1 year later...

Hello Pals,

Hoping you could help me.

A work collegue of mine mentioned that he had his grandfathers medals including the Military Medal awarded to him some time in late 1918.

The soldiers name is John Cornelius Horan: S30438 13th Rifle Brigade.

Any information you could supply on him or the battalions whereabouts in the last 100 hundred days would be much appreciated.

regards longboat.