Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade

riflegreen

Back in January I offered to look up any RB queries in my History of the RB in WW1 , owing to various problems I couldn't answer any of the queries .

Am now back in working order and if any of the enquirers still want help I'll see what I can do.

Chris Goodfellow

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris

I am researching the service of my GGreat Uncle, Arthur Glew. Arthur was a member of 10/KOYLI who arrived in France in September 1915, just in time for Loos.

I have checked Arthurs MIC and the Medal Rolls and found that at some time he transferred to 2/Rifle Brigade and then to 13/Rifle Brigade. His details are as follows: 10/21351 Pte Arthur Glew, 10/KOYLI and 48280 Pte Arthur Glew 2/Rifle Brigade and then 13/Rifle Brigade, KIA 25th August 1918. On checking the RB medal rolls I noticed that there are a very large number of ex-KOYLI, all with consecutive numbers. 10/KOYLI disbanded in Feb 1918. Is there any indication in the Rifle Brigade history to say whether the 13/RB took on a large number of ex 10/KOYLI men (who had initially been transferred to 2/Rifle Brigade) either in February or March 1918.

Andy

Hi Max ,

I've checked the RB history and no mention is made of of any KOYLI men being put in 2RB or in 13RB .

It does however say that 13RB lost 69 men in February and 97 in the first three weeks of March so the KOYLI men were probably part replacements for these .

There is nothing at all in " For The Duration " the history of 13RB .

Chris

Thanks for looking Chris.

I have been looking for ages for a specific 13/RB unit history, now I know what its called it has gone straight onto my shopping list :D

Thanks again

Andy

Hi Andy ,

The book on 13RB is by D.H.Rowlands , a sargeant in 13RB , can be found sometimes on ABE books , usually about £30 and not often in good condition .

Chris

• 3 months later...

Chris

Does the history mention a Capt John Arthur Pinnegar MC who served with the 16th Btn, KIA 22/3/18.

Regards Doug

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Whistlerdave

MY Grandfather was in 1/RB What does the "1" stand for?

he was in Mons at right arm ws shot off. He crawled to F.A.Post and lived until 1968. Where can I find any more info like where he was when shot etc? Is this possible?

Thanks In advance

Chris Goodfellow

I am new to this site and saw your mail re RB History so I hope you get this message and can possibly help

My GF 6562 Rfn. J. Byrne according to CWGC was KIA 17.08.17 whilst with the 12th Btn at Langemarke during 3rd Ypres. I researched my GF at Kew presuming he was in the 12th for the duration and have copies of the Battalion War Diares for Aug 1917 and took relevant notes of embarkatiion (21.06.1915) and important engagements up to his death. However I have recently found through MIC & Medal Rolls that he started out with the 1st Btn that landed in France in Aug 1914.

I intend going to Kew ASAP but it is dificult for me, so do you have a brief outline of the 1st Btn movements during Aug-Sept 1914

2 other points -is it possible to find out when he transferred from 1st to 12th Btn ?

Next - According to his marriage cert. in 1907 he was an "Army Reservist" I think he enlisted in 1901 in Dublin I have also been told that his number 6562 also indictes this. I cannot find him in "Burnt Documents so do you know where I could possibly look for his previous service records or would they have been included in the "Burnt Documents"

Regards

Anthony L

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris

Could you check the history for anything on the 8th - 9th May regarding 4th Bn Rifle Brigade.

Thanks

Andy

Chris G:

(Be sure to see Andy's prior post. I don't want to interfere with research.) I just thought that your kindness in doing lookups rated my sharing these scans (another following):

Postcard photo inscribed in period ink on reverse: "Colour Serjt (struck through w/lines, Q.M.S. written above) Q.M.S. A.G. & Mrs. Smart. Rifle Bde. 1916.

Chris

post-16-1080628501.jpg

Chris,

Wonder if you could tell me the location of the 7th Battalion in October 1915, particularly the early part. They were in the Ypres area but is there any specifics in your history.

Thanks

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

My Great Uncle 13824 Rflmn. John William Broadhouse served within 13 Bn. RB from embarkation to France in 1915 to transfrreing into the AOC due to GSW to the R thigh, around mid 1917? Any history of the 13 RB would be much appreciated

PM me and I will forward my e-mail, thanks, Ted

Guest Richard Warby

Chris,

Could you tell me anything of the whereabouts of 2nd Battalion, Rifle Brigade on and immediately prior to September 25th 1915, as I am researching a casualty from my local war memorial, Private J. Smith, who was posted missing that day.

Many thanks,

Richard Warby

• 2 months later...

Hello Chris

Can you check the regimental history for any info regarding the actions of 4/RB on the 8th - 9th May 1915.

Many Thanks

Andy

• 7 months later...

have you any infomation regarding the 7 Battalion and the actions it took part in, in early April 1918? I have a great great uncle who was transferred to this battalion from 14th Entrenching battalion (formerley 7 btn KOYLI) and was killed on the 4th April with 7 RB.

Cheers, Ben.

Chris:

Do you have anything on location of the 1/RB on 3 July 1916? They were in the lead echelon of the attack just south of the Quadrilateral (Serre) on 1 July. I thought they were relieved on 2 July but a soldier I'm researching was wounded (GSW - face) that day which implies they were not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

The Regimental History has quite a bit on the 1st battalions attack on the 1st and according to the Regimental History they were indeed relieved on the morning of the 2nd by the 1st battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers after a night of repeated bombing attacks and heavy shelling.

The battalion had lost twenty officers and four hundred and fifty four men.

If you need any more e mail me and i will scan the whole lot on the 1st for you.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Chris/Andy

I'm a bit confused.I have a copy of the 1RB Diary for 1st July 1916 and it states

"Relieved on night of 1-2nd July by 2nd R W Riding Regt. (Duke of Wellingtons).

Proceeded to billets in MAILLY-MALLET" It then goes on to say that on the 4th they left Mailly-Mallet and marched to Bertancourt where the remained until the 9th.

The entry for the 1st July says "Battalion assaults German frontline trenches. Report by Maj. Barclay attached" The Report, although listed,is not included in the Diary. Could this be the work of the censor or an oversight by PRO. ?

Could you please check the Regimental History for me.

Hope you can help (again)

Regards

Anthonyl

Anthony,

Rifle Brigade Chronicle 1919 details of action sent and the Detailed account from the Regimental History The Rifle Brigade in the Great War 1914 - 1918 sent to you.

I hope that this will help you a little in the actions of the 1st Battalion on the 1st July 1916.

Andy

• 2 years later...

I am tring to find out what happened to my great grandfather, he was Rifleman Louis Sydney Price (Service no. 11449) he served inthe 1st battelion of the rifle brigade and died 11 October 1915. He is buried in Mensil Ridge Cementery

Romney,

The War Service Record of the 1st for that period is as follows:-

"7-14th. - In the trenches (we are now pairing with the Somerset Light Infantry). Enemy trench howitzers busy.

Brevet-Major Brownlow rejoined and took command of "C" Company."

The entry in the War Diary I have placed in your enquiry in the Soldiers section.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

:) Hello,

I am looking for any information on Sergeant Albert C Crabb of the 3rd Battalion. He had served with the 4th Bn in the Boer War. He landed with his battalion in 1914.

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

Stewart,

The only thing that I have on this man is that he appears in the 1914 Star Roll (WO329/2482) with the spelling of Crabbe but the same number (6841) as appears in the Boer War Rolls as Crabb. Overseas 22/9/14.

Rifleman in the Q.S.A. Rolls and Lance Sergeant in the 1914 Star Roll.

There is no mention of him in the War Diary or the Regimental History. Hope this helps a little.

Andy