Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th July 1916 16th K.R.R.C. High Wood

Audax

Johnny - unfortunately I cannot access the private message system so I think you are right and I have to make a certain number of postings. This will add to the total!

Sue

Sue, cannot find a link to send you a message, so have left a message in your profile (I think). You will need to go to your profile and change your email settings as they are presently on private. If you go into my profile you will see where it says you can email me. On some sites, however, you have to make a number of posts before you will be allowed to communicate with other members. Johnny Conn

Another post to add to my number so I can contact you direct. A family member holds Cecil Gravestock's dog-tag. Unsure how it would have been returned to the family after his death at High Wood, especially as Cecil has no known grave.

Sue

Sue...Try this...Go to your username at top right of page and click on it, then choose Settings, then click on Notification Options and undo the mark in the top box which says to hide your email address. Will be away a few days so you may not get me. Johnny Conn

Christopher Rostron was a CLB Cornerite. He wrote competition entries for the Lads' Corner in The Brigade magazine. When he was killed, Captain Jim, who ran the Lads' corner, wrote about his death. Captain Jim was Rev James Duncan, Chaplain to the 16th KRRC. This was in the September 1916 issue of The Brigade.

post-7658-051633500 1280309135.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another post to add to my number so I can contact you direct. A family member holds Cecil Gravestock's dog-tag. Unsure how it would have been returned to the family after his death at High Wood, especially as Cecil has no known grave.

Sue

Hello Sue, sorry for the delay in response, I hope you check back and do see this message. I am a collector by the way, if you wish to contact me my email is robert.styles@ntlworld.com

Cheers Rob.

• 4 months later...

I visited High Wood in August last year and took very many photographs .

I have followed this thread with interest as I have been researching C/194 William Crook MM.William was awarded the MM for rescueing wounded at High Wood.

William was killed in action 24/9/17 and is remembered on Tyne Cot memorial.

I beleive he was in A company though may be wrong?

My main question though is I have looked at many maps (hell they called high wood) and I am still unclear from where did 16th KRRC attack the wood??

If looking at High Wood from London Rd Cemetry in front is the main road to the right the track that runs around the back of the wood.

Can anybody please put me clear on this all the maps I look at say attacking from the South which is great if you know where South is biggrin.gif.

Better still does anbody know of a more accurate map.

Thanks Julian

• 3 weeks later...

post-7977-1162249148.jpg RICHARD ROY LEWER

16th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps

Date of Death: 21/07/1916

Son of Henry William and Florence Eliza Lewer, of "Priors" Loughton, Essex.

Can anyone identify the cap badge please? Not KRRC, Light Infantry perhaps?

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sold on ebay 3 July 2012

$(KGrHqRHJDQE+(h5jbZQBP6hQTgrqQ~~60_12.JPG

1914 -15 star trio all medals named to C-1066 CPL C.F. Wilcock K.R.R.C. This rgt was known as the church lads brigade 16th battalion. The churchmans batallion sustained heavy casualties at High Wood, Somme 1916 were Corporal Wilcock was wounded and discharged due to wounds. Medals are in excellent condition, with original cap badge and clb badge that came with them, fresh to market. Very large file of research over 70 pages of war diary etc.

• 6 months later...

Rifleman Cecil Pepper

http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/02_Catalogue/02_013_PictureTitleInformation.aspx?searchTerm=&searchTerm2=pepper&searchTerm3=&searchTerm4=&searchType=97&Page=1&media=&branch=&authority=&language=&junior=&rcn=NP00009105&fr=tl&referrer=02_001_Search.aspx&displayType=2

Remembered on the Roll of Honour in St Barnabas ,Norwich

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43688219@N00/6570905815/

He was born 10th November 1896 at North Walsham, Norfolk, moving shortly afterwards into Norwich.

He gets a couple of mention, plus the same photo, in the book

Somewhere in Flanders:Letters of a Norfolk Padre in the Great War by the Reverend Samuel Green MC, which refers to his involvement with Church Youth groups.

I finally copied the orbituary for C669 William Stanley Keighley 16TH KRRC CLB KIA 15/7/16 High Wood.

It says that William was an officers servant and that his officer was also killed at the same time.

What are my chances of working out who the officer was ?

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Audax @ Oct 28 2006, 08:36 PM)

Another Officer who was at HIGH WOOD, was Captain James Rockcliffe Smith. M.C. He was the son of Robert Vaughan Smith and Harriet Elizabeth Smith (nee Lynch). He was born on 15th January 1883 and educated at J W Leathley's School, High Broughton, Manchester. He was on the staff of the Commercial Union Assurance Company. He was gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant 24th Septmeber and went to France with 16/KRRC in November 1915. He was woundedkilled in action at Bullecourt on 20th May 1917 whilst leading his company during an attack at Fontaine Les Croisilles. He is buried there. An officer wrote: A fine soldier and a leader of men, who were always ready to follow him anywhere. Like everything else he took in hand, he put his heart and soul in soldiering, and proved a most capable and trustworthy officer, and one who would have gone far if he had been spared.' He was awarded the M.C. for gallantry in the fighting for FOURNEAUX WOOD. He was wounded on 21st July 1916. He took a zealous interest in the Church Lads' Brigade and was a keen athlete, being Captain of the Broughton Cricket Club and the North Manchester Association Football Club.

Are any pals able to help with details of the date of his M.C. and the citation for its award?

Do you happen to know who the other men in the picture are. The one second on the left looks like my Grandmother's Birthday Joseph Isaac Boller.

• 4 months later...

Rifleman Ernest V Sharp, C/845, From Southend-on-Sea, Essex.

Remembered on the Roll of Honour at St Marks Clifftown, In Southend on Sea.

I'd guess that he probably joined up when the Battalion moved to Rayleigh, as it's close by.

If you could tell me what company he was in, Johnny, I'd be grateful - I'm guessing that he was in C Company from the diary - he was killed by a shell in the wood. My Grandmother was sent a letter by one of his comrades, telling her of what happened.

I suppose that you have seen this brotherphil

Andy

post-1871-0-69268800-1379786285_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to the confusion over Keighley and Keightly, Audax's original list contains only one Frank Pickering, but I think there were actually two (and the details given conflate the two)

Firstly C/987 F B Pickering from Leicester

Secondly C/1600 Frank Pickering living Carshalton.

C/1600 Frank Pickering also appears on the rolls of honour of the Surrey Association of Church Bellringers (see signature) and the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers. He is listed as a Carshalton ringer, but was originally from the village of Wing near Leighton Buzzard. In 1911 he was living with his aunt and uncle in Carshalton, probably having moved to get a job as both he and his uncle were connected with the Carshalton gas works.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a trench map of High Wood for this period, as I'm researching a chap who dies on the 21st in the High Wood Area, as a side note I was in the Church Lads and Church Girls Brigade for about 4 years, and my mum was a CO the uniform still has the green from the rifle brigade.

Nick

Does anyone have a trench map of High Wood for this period, as I'm researching a chap who dies on the 21st in the High Wood Area, as a side note I was in the Church Lads and Church Girls Brigade for about 4 years, and my mum was a CO the uniform still has the green from the rifle brigade.

Nick

Nick - you mean the King's Royal Rifle Corps, not The Rifle Brigade. Isn't the modern CLCGB uniform navy blue and red these days? Perhaps the red comes from the KRRC's scarlet facings?

Yes I do sorry, the main colours are red and blue but there is a flash of green on the hats. Nick