Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th July 1916 16th K.R.R.C. High Wood

Audax

R Warks,

Thanks for sharing this info.

There are a number of Gravestock's comrades remembered on the Croxley Green War Memorial Croxley Green War Memorial

A

Thanks and no problem Audax, I am very keen on finding medals to the CLB, sparked off from the day I first owned Cecil's medals and started researching them. The Brigade magazines and volumes from the War years are a fine source for research and are as much a challenge to get hold of as the medals themselves, I am currently working on an index to record all the entries of the soldiers detailed within the pages of the editions I have.

The Croxley Green Memorial is indeed very interesting, as you point out several of Cecil's comrades are listed there, very low service numbers amongst them. I imagine there were quite a group of pals together who stood inline waiting to sign up, all from Croxley Green, paints a very emotive and typically patriotic picture of those heady, early months.

Cheers Rob.

rwarks

I am currently working on a database for 16th KRRC. Maybe we should work together and save ourselves some time. Email me.

R Warks

This is my Father's trio. He was Rfn Frederick Pearson C-516 16th Battalion. Enlisted Sept/Oct 1914, discharged Feb 1919. Ex CLB St Clements Rochdale.

post-4142-1273564746.jpg

This is my Father's trio. He was Rfn Frederick Pearson C-516 16th Battalion. Enlisted Sept/Oct 1914, discharged Feb 1919. Ex CLB St Clements Rochdale.

Lovely to see a picture of him Bob - thanks for posting this.

Cheers,

Mark

Herbert Doyle, Charles Harkness and Herbert Hassell who died fighting with the 16th KRRC are remembered on a War Memorial that used to be in St Nicholas' Church in Cork, Ireland. See http://www.corkrecords.com/Shed/WWIStNicholas.htm The memorial has been removed from the Church, now closed.

Interestingly, it was the St Nicholas' Company which was the first Church Lads Brigade company in Ireland to be recognised under Cadet Regulations.

Johnny Conn

From the CWGC database -

KEIGHLEY, WALTER

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/07/1916

Service No: C/1216

Additional information: Son of William and Marget Jane Keighley, of 3, Commercial St., Denholme, Bradford, Yorks.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

A W. S. Keighley appears on the Pontefract Memorial War Memorial He is not on my original list drawn up from SDGW.

Another question arises as to why his MIC (arrived in France 16.11.1915) has his number as C/669 whilst the CWGC have it as C/1216?

Can anyone help with this please?

A

R Warks

Very good to see, thanks for sharing and all the other posts recently. Jonny, I will get in touch soon mate, we have spoke before and it would be great to share the workload.

Cheers Rob.

Audax...here is the reason...

Keighley, William, C/669, kia 15/7/16 (High Wood), b. Pontefract

Keightley, Walter, C/1216, dow 15/7/16, b.Skipton

from SDGW

Johnny Conn

Audax

Have photos of both. Both surnames spelt Keighley in The Brigade, one spelt Keightley in SDGW. Will see if I can determine which is correct.

Johnny Conn

KEIGHLEY, WILLIAM STANLEY

Initials: W S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/07/1916

Service No: C/669

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Y. Keighley, of I, Friarwood Terrace, Pontefract, Yorks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Link to MiC for W S Keighley

• 1 month later...

Re Cecil Gravestock.

Please can rwarks say how he obtained Cecil's medals and if he is a collector or any relation to Cecil? I have some family photographs and information which may be of interest.

I am a member of the CLB Historical Group which has several members very keen on 16th KRRC research. I would be keen to have photos/info on Cecil Gravestock. An article may be possible for the HG magazine. Johnny Conn

I am a member of the CLB Historical Group which has several members very keen on 16th KRRC research. I would be keen to have photos/info on Cecil Gravestock. An article may be possible for the HG magazine. Johnny Conn

Johnny - are you able to contact me direct via my email address registered on this site? Over the next week or two I will visit the relatives and gather together the available photos / letters and info. I'll post what I can on this site but am happy to provide additional info to you direct.

Sue Patterson

Sue, cannot find a link to send you a message, so have left a message in your profile (I think). You will need to go to your profile and change your email settings as they are presently on private. If you go into my profile you will see where it says you can email me. On some sites, however, you have to make a number of posts before you will be allowed to communicate with other members. Johnny Conn

If a person wishes to know which company (A,B,C or D) an original member of the 16th KRRC was in, say up to C/1200, I could probably provide that information. Will need a name - a number would also be helpful. Johnny Conn