Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Westerham Kent

Hambo

Just printed, roll of honuor and bios of the 50 men from Westerham Kent who died in the Great War and story of the village itself during the period

Happy to do look ups. Mostly RWKs but other units, some pictures

Hambo

No RWK officers, one private of the 6th with bio but no photo I'll PM you with the details

Most of the lads seem to have been terriers or 7th Battalion

Hambo, would you have as look to see if there is any mention of Walter Wood please. I don't think there will be but it's worth a shot. He died in 1918, a victim of the flu pandemic. There is a photo and biography of his brother Horace Wood on my website here: http://chailey1914-1918.net/horace_frank_wood.html

Thanks a lot.

Paul

Paul

I'm afraid you're right there isn't mention of him and there's a list of all of the men who served from the village.

Percy served with the 1/4th RWK India andsurvived the war

Alfred was killed in action with the 9th Norfolks on 15th April 1918

Albert served with the Queens Westminster Rifles and was wounded in the right shoulder in 1917 but made it through the war

The older brothers, William served with the Army Service Corps and Charles was with the Royal Fusiliers they made it as well.

The narrative for Alfred mentions that the family had six sons serving so maybe Walter never enlisted

Incidently Horace was wounded again at Arras in the hand

Hambo

That's useful information, thanks very much for checking. In due course I'll add the snippets you've provided to Horace Wood's page. Could you post details of the title and where I could obtain a copy of this village history please.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

I don't know where it's stocked other than in the local bookshop. I'd be happy to pick you up a copy and drop it in the post if that' any use. If it is PM with your address and I'll sort it. I'll be on hols for a couple for weeks so don't be surprised if there's a delay

Hambo

Done, dropped you a PM Hambo; thanks for the offer.

Paul

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old thread - but any ideas of what units used Westerham for training especially the latter half of 1915?

Cheers

Simon

• 4 months later...

Sorry Simon, just spotted this

It's just the men rather than a wider history so no mention of other units

Cheers John