SAMUEL MURCH private of the 2nd battalion of the coldstream guards

died 5 feb 1915

service No;11791

buried at CUINCHY COMMUNAL CEMETERY

also PERCY PERRYMAN private 1st battalion london reg royal fusiliers

service No;6957

died 1 dec 1916

cemetery RUE-DU-BACQUEROT LAVENTIE

now the silly question is what battles were they in? sorry but i know zero about all this ;)

No such thing as a silly question, though the same cannot be said of answers! Follow the 'Long Long trail' link at the top left of the page, and then use the choices there to see what the regiment was doing at the time (Info is given for each Division, but since you know the Battalion number, it is easy to follow a link). Remember that many soldiers did not die in named battles. General attrition in the trenches took a steady toll, as did other causes such as illness. If there is no battle listed for the date, you may have to track down Battalion war diaries for a fuller picture.

Red,

Whilst I cannot answer your question directly this may assist.

Two of my Uncles died in the War.

The first died in January 1915, during the period what is often called "holding the line".He was a Territorial arriving in France in November 1914 to help make good the losses the British Expeditionary Force suffered following the German advance through France and the subsequent "Race to the Sea".He was in a Front Line Trench but unfortunately on wakening put his head above the parapet and was sniped in the head,later dying of this wound.He has a known grave.

His Brother who also landed in France in November 1914(both Brothers participated in the 1914 Christmas Truce) continued to serve until March 1918 and was killed during the German(Kaiser's) Offensive.Little is known about the circumstances of his death.He was probably a member of a rearguard machine gun team trying to delay the German advance to allow the rest of his Battalion to retire and may have beeen wounded prior to his death.He has no known grave and is remembered on the Arras Memorial.

George

Dave is trying to help you look up some details for yourself on the main site.

A quick link for MURCH is http://www.1914-1918.net/bat8.htm

Chances are that he died in the so-called Affair of Cuinchy.

For PERRYMAN the answer may well be the 'trench attrition' referred to. But this page will help flesh out his possible war experiences http://www.1914-1918.net/56div.htm

Hello

I will look up the Coldstreamer when I get home and let you know Friday - there is a good chance he is in "De Ruvthingys" (can never rememeber the name ) Roll of honour volume 1

Ian

Hello

Re the Coldstream Guard

from his number its likely he joined the first week in September 1914

And I will look up the war diary entry too for you

Ian

Guest redspookhunter

oops first sorry fred! i meant dave i was talking to a fred earlier <_<

andrew yes i know he is but i dont know what im doing :( its my fault i cant drive it

coldstreamer well what can i say? thankyou!! :D

Hello

not in the roll of honour - cant check the war diary as got a new PC (one built this century!) and the details are being transferred

send me a pm in a couple of weeks and Ill send a copy

Ian

Guest redspookhunter
Hello

not in the roll of honour - cant check the war diary as got a new PC (one built this century!) and the details are being transferred

send me a pm in a couple of weeks and Ill send a copy

Ian

ok cheers ian :D