Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wrong spelling

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1152787771.jpg

post-11197-1152787742.jpg

It has been brought to my attention that the spelling of my great uncles names are wrong. The Batallion details are correct for each soldier but whoever has added an E to the surname Sim.

Cpl Sim not Sime

Pte Sim not Sime

Could any pal tell me if these can be corrected, who would I apply to and what's the chances of it being fixed.

Kevin

It's not unusual to have names spelt incorrectly, unfortunately. My uncle's name is incorrectly spelt on the WW2 memorial in the council offices where he worked.

You could try contacting whoever is responsible for the upkeep of the memorial (probably the local town/parish council) but I wouldn't give much for your chances. Too many gay one-legged ethnic minority special needs cases to spend their money on, I expect.

It could be fun to become a "Mr Angry" and get the local press on your side though, especially if you could furnish them with photos and the story of how he died. "Council snubs memory of local war hero" etc.

My uncle who was killed in WW1 was listed on all official records as Edward George instead of Edward Gregory. I initially wrote to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission explaining the error. They asked me to send a copy of my grandparents (his parents) marriage certificate also a copy of Edward's birth certificate proving his name and that he was 'theirs' and his date of birth which matched their records re age at death. His name was changed everywhere to my satisfaction except on the Menin Gate Memorial.

I found the people involved very pleasant and helpful

Good luck

Shirley

Shirley

It is probable that CWGC still have the matter "in hand" regards the Menin Gate. I don't think they would do a one-off amendment, but will incorporate the changes when that particular panel is due for replacement. You could have quite a wait, I'm afraid.

John

Don't be too cynical about the local Council. I'm guessing this is the Larkhall that comes under South Lanarkshire, so why not wing local Councillors an e-mail?

You'll probably find they'll be sympathetic.

South Lanarkshire seem to take their war memorials very seriously. Perhaps there are not too many 'gay one-legged ethnic minority special needs cases' around Hamilton and environs...

They have got every one of the memorials in local authority care on the council web site. Here's Larkhall's page:

http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/portal/...CONTENT_ID=1399

I'd say it's definitely worth getting in touch about this.

Regards

Adam

Good for South Lanarkshire!

Must say, though, it is slightly amusing to see that you have to contact the facility to ask it about disabled access. Can Scottish war Memorials answer that sort of question?

Bill Stanley is the man to contact. is email address is on the page Adam linked to earlier. He's the head of the cemeteries department in South Lanarkshire, and he's a very helpful man. If he can;t help you he'll probably to be able to point you in the direction of who can.

Regards,

David

Guest KevinEndon

Update on the wrong spelling. Many thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of Bill Stanley who is on the case already. A stone mason is being contacted as I type and early next week Bill and co. are going on site to see how it can be changed. I have been informed that when its done he will send me photos of the monument with the correct spelling. The only sore point is that Bill said it may take 2 weeks. A whole 2 weeks hows that for service.

If any pal has a problem with a monument move it to Lanarkshire where you will get the most efficiant, well mannered and professional service anyone could ask for. Well done Lanarkshire council you have done me proud.

That's excellent news. I'm glad Bill was able to help you out.

It just means I'll need to go back and update my photos....

There was an article in the Hamilton Advertiser this week regarding the overall poor condition of the Larkhall Memorial, and plans to have it cleaned up and maintained. I'll have a check when I get home and scan it if its of any use.

Big vote of thanks to South Lanarkshire - you see, some local authorities care!

North and South Lanarkshire Councils are like light and dark when you compare each other. You should see the list of memorials I got from North Lanarkshire. A sheet of A4 paper, which looked like it had been faxed a dozen times. In addition to that, at least one of them was listed as being in the wrong place!

They could learn a LOT from their neighbours in South Lanarkshire...

I was passing the memorial today and stopped off for a quick look just in case the names had been amended, but I am a bit too quick off the mark, I did however notice another WW2 name on the memorial seems incorrect, being Halbert Yuille when CWGC has him as Albert Yuille - I know which one sounds more likely.

Alistair

Well, I'll humbly take back my cynicism of local councils.

Well done Lanarkshire!