Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Landsturm Militarpak des Landsturmmanes Peter Duda

Guest Robertresearcher

Guest Robertresearcher

Dear Fellow Forum Members

Recently I have acquired a Landsturm Militarpak des Landsturmmannes

in the name of Peter Duda born on April the 13th 1880 at Chronstau , Oppeln who went to the

Rekrutendepot 1 Ers Bataillon Infantry Regiment v.d Goltz No 54 . Does anyone have any further

Information ?

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't help you with the man himself, but the document you've acquired is a 'Militärpaß'. The 'ß' character equates to double 's', so the word can also be written as 'Militärpass'. On a standard English keyboard, you can obtain the 'ß' character by holding down the Alt key and keying 225 on the numerical keypad at the right-hand end of the keyboard.

The Militärpaß is an identification and record document containing personal and military information about the holder and details of his service: date & place of enlistment, units, postings, promotions, decorations, campaigns, wounds, training, disciplinary record, etc - so the one you've acquired should tell you quite a bit about Landsturmmann Peter Duda.

Mick

Robert?;

Mick is quite correct; the document you have should contain a great deal of information about the gentleman (unless his military career was very short), and additionally the study of these documents teaches you a lot about the German Army, how it was organized, run, etc. A few years ago I found my father's, and about 50 pieces of mail of the era, mostly Feldpost or military mail between my father and grand-father, and I taught myself (badly) to read German and the old writing systems in order to read these materials.

Can I assume that you do not read German? To cheer you up, most Germans would have a lot of trouble reading these documents and extracting a lot of information from it. A lot of cryptic abbreviations were used in them.

I am not collecting these actively, although I pick one up occasionally, and am ever on the lookout for those of certain units that I am studying. I have also studied a fairly large grouping of them for a dealer; in exchange I was kindly allowed to keep a few of my own choice. I wrote a summary of the soldier's career of perhaps 800 words for each; as far as I know, the dealer then kept them and did not put them on the market; I wondered how the e-Bay community would greet these. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an organization of collectors of these. If a lot of these were organized so that an inventory of them could be searched and made available they would provide a powerful tool for historical research. There is an Englishman who collects these and has put a listing of some of his on line.

If you were able to put a few pages on the thread I and a few other nuts might tell you what they said. Do not bother with the first say 12 pages of printed material. You probably got the stuff about Duda going to the Rekrutendepot from the first page with a lot of hand-writing, about 12 pages in; that one is important, and all after that with a lot of writing and/or stamps on them. There may also be a page with a fair amount of hand-writing right inside the front cover; that contains, if there, a lot of family information. There may be a problem getting enough resolution to read some of the finer writing, some of which is amazing. I saw a Pass with an entry from 1905 for a sergeant which documented his taking a course in military penmanship.

Bob Lembke

• 8 years later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

Above mentioned Peter DUDA was a brother of my greatgrandfather. Unfortunately the post is now 8 years old and it seems that the user "robertresearcher" isn't a member here anymore.

I suppose an emailaddress of him ist not available anymore? I would like to get in contact with him to get the Militaerpass back to our family.

Any help is appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Regards from Germany

Angelika

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

Above mentioned Peter DUDA was a brother of my greatgrandfather. Unfortunately the post is now 8 years old and it seems that the user "robertresearcher" isn't a member here anymore.

I suppose an emailaddress of him ist not available anymore? I would like to get in contact with him to get the Militaerpass back to our family.

Any help is appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Regards from Germany

Angelika

Hi Angelika,

Welcome to the forum! I can only hope another member or perhaps one of the moderators can help you out. At least you know it is out there to be found again.

Good luck!

-Daniel