Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Wadham RFC

Guest kev7dags1

Guest kev7dags1

Hello

I am currently trying to find out any info on a Capt Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham of the RFC. I think he was KIA in 1916 but I'm very vague on him and have come up against a brick wall in my research.

Many thanks for any info at all

Kev Neal

Presumably he is this man:

Name: WADHAM, VIVIAN HUGH NICHOLAS

Initials: V H N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 15th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: and 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/01/1916

Additional information: Son of Hugh Davison Wadham and Mabel Emily Wadham, of Thamesfield, Shepperton, Middx. One of the 34 Pilots who flew from Salisbury Plain to France on 12th Aug., 1914; attached, at that time, to the 3rd Sqdn.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: LXII. C. 5.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=465004

Steve.

Hello Key Neal,

Tyne Cot

Grave of Captain Vivian WADHAM

post-7723-1152471314.jpg

Kev

Information taken from The Royal Flying Corps Casualties and Honours During the War 1914-1917 published August 1917

"Captain Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham R.F.C. and 1st Btn Hampshire Regiment killed in action in Flanders over the German lines on February 17th 1916 was aged 24,eldest son of Mr and Mrs Hugh D.Wadham of Thamesfield Shepperton-on-Thames. He entered the Hampshire Regiment from the Special Reserve in June 1914 and was promoted lieutenant in the following December. In May he was appointed flight commander in the Military Wing of the R.F.C. with the temporary rank of Capatain"

Regards Doug.

Captain Vivian WADHAM was one of the first to cross the Channel in August 1914.

He had got his Royal Aero Club certificate on 16/7/1912.

WADHAM, when Flight Cdr 15 Sqn, was brought down in BE2c nr.2105 on 17/1/1916 near Passendale (see attach. ), probably by Warrant Officer Krause and Leutnant von Lersner of Kagohl 1.

WADHAM was killed, and his observer, Sergeant PIPER was taken prisoner.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1152471982.jpg

Hello,

Another pic of the same scene.

Forgot to say that it was in an a plane (3rd Sqn), that he was one of the first to cross the Chanel towards France.

BE2c 2105, was of a batch built by Daimler (90 h.p.)

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1152475531.jpg

From the London Gazette:

LG 3-10-1911

5th Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham, late Cadet Sergeant, Malvern College Contingent, Officers Training Corps, to be Second Lieutenant (on probation). Dated 18th September, 1911.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

LG 7-2-1913

5th Battalion,. The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Second Lieutenant (on probation) Vivian H. N. Wadham is confirmed in his rank.

LG 21-2-1913

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Military Wing, Second Lieutenant Vivian H. N. Wadham, 5th Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps, to be a Flying Officer, and to be seconded. Dated 5th December, 1912

LG 6-4-1915

THE HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be temporary Lieutenants: —

Dated 31st October, 1914.

V. H. N. Wadham.

LG 7-6-1915

ESTABLISHMENTS.

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Military Wing.

The undermentioned appointments are made: —

Flight Commanders—

From Flying Officers—

Dated 25th May, 1915.

Lieutenant Vivian H. N. Wadham, The Hampshire Regiment, and to be temporary Captain whilst so employed.

Steve.

The aircraft is relatively undamaged; it looks as though Wadham attempted a forced landing, but the aircraft turned over, probably due to the wheels getting caught in mud or some obstruction. An accident like this was usually survivable, so either Wadham was unlucky and broke his neck or hit his head; or he had been shot, and despite being fatally wounded, managed a forced landing rather than a crash and so saved the life of his observer.

Adrian

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the additional info.

Regards,

Cnock

Kev,

Glad to help You,

regards,

Cnock

Hi Kev,

Wadham and his observer A. D. Borton (later a VC), were credited with a victory whilst serving with 3 Squadron RFC on 05th February 1915.

A few days after this the same paring were involved in an accident which resulted in Wadham breaking his thigh and Borton breaking his neck (and surviving)!

This little extract is from the book 'My Warrior Sons.'

Gustav Leffers put in a claim for a BE2c on 17th Jan 1916, maybe he is a possible candidate for the crash?

The victory over Capt V N H Wadham and Sgt N V Piper in 2105 is covered in a few paragraphs in Norman Franks' Sharks Among Minnows. The claim by Uffz Gustav Leffers of FA32 wasn't confirmed, which seems odd as the aeroplane clearly came down behind the German lines. Apparently some sources credit Ltn Otto Parshau with the victory, but he didn't make a claim on the day in question.

Uffz Krauss and Ltn von Lersner from KG1 did have an aerial fight, and claimed a victory near Passchendaele/Westroosebeke, so it looks like they were the people who downed 2105.

Regards

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...
Hello

I am currently trying to find out any info on a Capt Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham of the RFC. I think he was KIA in 1916 but I'm very vague on him and have come up against a brick wall in my research.

Many thanks for any info at all

Kev Neal

• 12 years later...

Hello, I am Vivian Wadham's great niece and I was thrilled to stumble upon this thread with photos and info about his demise and resting place. I shall place a plaque at his graveside to remember his sacrifice. Many thanks for all the info.
Rose Wadham

Just a minor correction - Vivian Wadham's observer on 5 February 1915 was Lieut Amyas Eden Borton who was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Service Order, not the Victoria Cross; the award was announced on page 6533 of London Gazette number 29215, dated 3 July 1915.

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...

Burial of Wadham by the Germans with full honours

Cnock

BRWADHAM.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 10/07/2006 at 15:02, MattyBoy said:

Hi Kev,

Wadham and his observer A. D. Borton (later a VC), were credited with a victory whilst serving with 3 Squadron RFC on 05th February 1915.

A few days after this the same paring were involved in an accident which resulted in Wadham breaking his thigh and Borton breaking his neck (and surviving)!

This little extract is from the book 'My Warrior Sons.'

Gustav Leffers put in a claim for a BE2c on 17th Jan 1916, maybe he is a possible candidate for the crash?

I wonder if anyone can help me with Borton's movements at this time. From http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/people_index.html I get the following:

30.11.14               to join 2RAS after leave

01.12.14               Posted from EF

2RAS      31.12.14               att for 8Sq

8Sq         05.03.15               C Flt Comdr

18.04.15               re-embarked (by air)

8 Squadron did not leave for France until April 1915, yet Borton was clearly there in February.

2RAS was located at Brooklands.

The events of 5 February are also detailed in 'War In The Air' Vol.2.

So, does anyone know how he came to be in France seemingly attached to 3 Squadron?

Confusion here - between AE Borton and AD Borton. AEB and AD B were, I think, briefly together at Brooklands at the start on January 1915.

Dear All,

Brilliant researching. Well done!

That is possibly Krause standing to the right of the inspecting officers.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Mick, sorry I caused confusion by picking the wrong quote!

I am looking for information on Lieut Amyas Eden Borton and the details I quoted, I believe, all relate to him.

• 2 years later...

Hi, my name is Rose Wadham. Captain Vivian Wadham was my great uncle.

I have only recently become aware of his exploits, largely thanks to this forum and the website MedalsOfEngland.com

Vivian was educated at Wadham College Oxford which was founded in 1610 by Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham of Somerset in the reign of King James Ist.

My husband and I wanted to visit Vivian's tombstone at Tyne Cot in 2019, but we were hampered by Covid lockdowns. It was a relief to pay my respects, not just for myself, but also on behalf of all Wadham family members past and present.

It came as a complete surprise to discoiver that other people are interested in Vivian's life and pivotal role in WW1.

I would like to learn the circumstances of how and when Vivian's medals were separated from my family's guardianship. Please contact me if you have any intel.

I am married to Jonathon Miles, grandson of F G Miles and 'Blossom' Miles of Miles Aircraft fame. Although FG Miles was just 15 yrs old in 1918, by 1922 he had built his first plane and we speculate that he might have heard about the flying exploits of Captain Vivian Wadham.

IMG_5062.jpg

Here is an snippit of info into the demise of Wadham

Tony Haynes 

Nigel Vincent Piper was my maternal Great Grandfather, he died in 1994 shortly after his 100th birthday. I lived with him at his home in Tring, Hertfordshire for a time. He said that Capt Wadham was already deceased at the moment of impact having taken a bullet through his neck from an enemy aircraft.
He (Piper) had to take control of the aircraft with the Captain dead in his seat by sitting on his body making it very difficult to land competently, even though he was already an experienced pilot by 1916.
He was an extremely modest man with an incredibly sharp mind right up to his death, and it was an honour to know him.

Tony Haynes

Source Flicker Here

Ray

It is such a comfort to learn that your great grandfather, Nigel Vincent Piper had the skill to take control of the aircraft in order to safely land it. How marvellous that he survived the ordeal, clearly through his innate courage and skill for navigation. How I wish I had known him. 

Best regards to you Tony, 

Rose Wadham (great niece of Vivian Wadham)

Edited by Wadham