Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest kev7dags1

Capt Wadham RFC

Guest kev7dags1

Hello

I am currently trying to find out any info on a Capt Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham of the RFC. I think he was KIA in 1916 but I'm very vague on him and have come up against a brick wall in my research.

Many thanks for any info at all

Kev Neal

Stebie9173

Presumably he is this man:

Name: WADHAM, VIVIAN HUGH NICHOLAS

Initials: V H N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 15th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: and 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/01/1916

Additional information: Son of Hugh Davison Wadham and Mabel Emily Wadham, of Thamesfield, Shepperton, Middx. One of the 34 Pilots who flew from Salisbury Plain to France on 12th Aug., 1914; attached, at that time, to the 3rd Sqdn.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: LXII. C. 5.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=465004

Steve.

Cnock

Hello Key Neal,

Tyne Cot

Grave of Captain Vivian WADHAM

post-7723-1152471314.jpg

Doug Lewis

Kev

Information taken from The Royal Flying Corps Casualties and Honours During the War 1914-1917 published August 1917

"Captain Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham R.F.C. and 1st Btn Hampshire Regiment killed in action in Flanders over the German lines on February 17th 1916 was aged 24,eldest son of Mr and Mrs Hugh D.Wadham of Thamesfield Shepperton-on-Thames. He entered the Hampshire Regiment from the Special Reserve in June 1914 and was promoted lieutenant in the following December. In May he was appointed flight commander in the Military Wing of the R.F.C. with the temporary rank of Capatain"

Regards Doug.

Cnock

Captain Vivian WADHAM was one of the first to cross the Channel in August 1914.

He had got his Royal Aero Club certificate on 16/7/1912.

WADHAM, when Flight Cdr 15 Sqn, was brought down in BE2c nr.2105 on 17/1/1916 near Passendale (see attach. ), probably by Warrant Officer Krause and Leutnant von Lersner of Kagohl 1.

WADHAM was killed, and his observer, Sergeant PIPER was taken prisoner.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1152471982.jpg

Cnock

Hello,

Another pic of the same scene.

Forgot to say that it was in an a plane (3rd Sqn), that he was one of the first to cross the Chanel towards France.

BE2c 2105, was of a batch built by Daimler (90 h.p.)

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1152475531.jpg

Stebie9173

From the London Gazette:

LG 3-10-1911

5th Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham, late Cadet Sergeant, Malvern College Contingent, Officers Training Corps, to be Second Lieutenant (on probation). Dated 18th September, 1911.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

LG 7-2-1913

5th Battalion,. The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Second Lieutenant (on probation) Vivian H. N. Wadham is confirmed in his rank.

LG 21-2-1913

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Military Wing, Second Lieutenant Vivian H. N. Wadham, 5th Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps, to be a Flying Officer, and to be seconded. Dated 5th December, 1912

LG 6-4-1915

THE HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be temporary Lieutenants: —

Dated 31st October, 1914.

V. H. N. Wadham.

LG 7-6-1915

ESTABLISHMENTS.

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Military Wing.

The undermentioned appointments are made: —

Flight Commanders—

From Flying Officers—

Dated 25th May, 1915.

Lieutenant Vivian H. N. Wadham, The Hampshire Regiment, and to be temporary Captain whilst so employed.

Steve.

Adrian Roberts

The aircraft is relatively undamaged; it looks as though Wadham attempted a forced landing, but the aircraft turned over, probably due to the wheels getting caught in mud or some obstruction. An accident like this was usually survivable, so either Wadham was unlucky and broke his neck or hit his head; or he had been shot, and despite being fatally wounded, managed a forced landing rather than a crash and so saved the life of his observer.

Adrian

Cnock

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the additional info.

Regards,

Cnock

Guest kev7dags1

Thanks for all the information. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Kev

Cnock

Kev,

Glad to help You,

regards,

Cnock

MattyBoy

Hi Kev,

Wadham and his observer A. D. Borton (later a VC), were credited with a victory whilst serving with 3 Squadron RFC on 05th February 1915.

A few days after this the same paring were involved in an accident which resulted in Wadham breaking his thigh and Borton breaking his neck (and surviving)!

This little extract is from the book 'My Warrior Sons.'

Gustav Leffers put in a claim for a BE2c on 17th Jan 1916, maybe he is a possible candidate for the crash?

Dolphin

The victory over Capt V N H Wadham and Sgt N V Piper in 2105 is covered in a few paragraphs in Norman Franks' Sharks Among Minnows. The claim by Uffz Gustav Leffers of FA32 wasn't confirmed, which seems odd as the aeroplane clearly came down behind the German lines. Apparently some sources credit Ltn Otto Parshau with the victory, but he didn't make a claim on the day in question.

Uffz Krauss and Ltn von Lersner from KG1 did have an aerial fight, and claimed a victory near Passchendaele/Westroosebeke, so it looks like they were the people who downed 2105.

Regards

Gareth

WW1ACE
Hello

I am currently trying to find out any info on a Capt Vivian Hugh Nicholas Wadham of the RFC. I think he was KIA in 1916 but I'm very vague on him and have come up against a brick wall in my research.

Many thanks for any info at all

Kev Neal

WadhamR

Hello, I am Vivian Wadham's great niece and I was thrilled to stumble upon this thread with photos and info about his demise and resting place. I shall place a plaque at his graveside to remember his sacrifice. Many thanks for all the info.
Rose Wadham

topgun1918

Just a minor correction - Vivian Wadham's observer on 5 February 1915 was Lieut Amyas Eden Borton who was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Service Order, not the Victoria Cross; the award was announced on page 6533 of London Gazette number 29215, dated 3 July 1915.

Graeme

Cnock

Burial of Wadham by the Germans with full honours

Cnock

BRWADHAM.jpg