Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Black Watch August 1914- December 1915

barrieduncan

Bernadette,

October diary for the 1st Battalion The Black Watch 1914 does not exist. I suggest giving Black Jock a PM for any details that are available,

Aye

Tom McC

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just a shot in the dark,

Any mention of a Cpl Nigel GRAHAM (BW Service No. 3/1751) being transfer to the Cameron Highlanders? Though I should think this would have happen before the Battalion went into action in August 1914.

• 2 months later...
Not a problem, hope it helps :)

Barrie

I am interested in the 3rd November and LT R D P NOLAN KIA, any information on his activities would be very welcome.

David

Hi Bernadette,

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a war diary entry for October 1914 - there is however some correspondence between some officers who are trying to piece together what happened - if you pm me an email address I'll gladly forward you on a copy of the dpf.

Cheers

Barrie

• 1 year later...

Hello Barrie,

Do you have a Diary of 2nd Black Watch when they arrived in France on 13th Aug 1914? Also any diary entries for 26th - 29th Sept in the First Battle of Aisne? The man Im looking for is Pte Peter Fenton No 9664 2nd BW.

Thanks Barrie in anticipation

Ron

• 4 years later...

Hello - I am trying to find any information about my Grandfather Major George Mitchell Richmond 1st battalion The Black Watch?i have some of his diaries and trench maps from ww1. One starting on the 11 th Nov 1914 with him arriving in Le Harve on the 13th Nov ( disembarking on the 14th) on to till 31st Dec. Plus some later stuff. Can you tell me about the war diaries that you talk of? Are they official ones? From where? I am new to all of this. My grandfather also fought in the Boer war of which I have some photo albums. The only photos I have of the black watch in ww1 are from 1917.

Regards,

GG

GG,

The War Diaries are official records kept by a Battalion during operations.

You can download the 1st Btn Black Watch War Diary for a few pounds from the National Archives here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351893

As an officer he will have a service file at the N.A. which you can order.

I'm sure plenty folk here, myself included, would be interested to hear bits from your grandfathers personal diary.

Cheers,

Derek.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GGirl,

I am researching a 1st BN Black Watch Soldier S/11225 Donald McIntosh SINCLAIR, KIA 13th July 1916 Battle of the Somme he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial but not on the home memorial where he was born Kilmore Argyllshire he enlisted at Oban and entered the Theatre of War on 22 December 1915. He was a Test Cricketer I am trying to find a DOB for him or to see if he is mentioned in the Black Watch War Diaries, any info on his military service would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Hiram

I am just starting to try and transcribe my GFathers diary... Very slow going with lots of ?? Through it. often more info than the war diary though but only for 2 mths . He was a lieutenant at this stage and looks like he wrote letters to some families to tell them that their loved one had been killed..I am hoping that as I go along I will get better at reading his writing and learning the lingo !

I am just starting to try and transcribe my GFathers diary... Very slow going with lots of ?? Through it. often more info than the war diary though but only for 2 mths . He was a lieutenant at this stage and looks like he wrote letters to some families to tell them that their loved one had been killed..I am hoping that as I go along I will get better at reading his writing and learning the lingo !

GGirl - let me know if I can help. I have recently transcribed 160 unit diaries from 1914, including the 1st Bn Black Watch. The volume of transcriptions across the project is around 1,250,000 words, so some considerable experience has built up. All the diaries have been cross-referenced to standard reference material such as the Army List, CWGC data, medal Rolls etc and more importantly it is searchable. I alos have most published unit histories digitised and searchable (including the History of the Black Watch). If you get stuck, ping me a PM.

He is mentioned in the War Diary arriving on 21st Nov and taking over A Coy.

Regards

MG

• 1 year later...

Hi Barrie

Do you have anything on 2ndLt William Ballantyne who was killed in action at Hulaach on 13.10.1915? Any info for that day would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

Thanks

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

2/Lt Ballantyne was only with the Battalion a matter of weeks before he was killed in action.

On the 25th of September 1915 he joined the Battalion from Cadet School, St Omer, only to be killed on the 13th of October in an attack just west of Hulluch. Total casualties for the day were; officers 10, other ranks 229.

There is an appendix detailing the attack, let me know if you want a copy.

Barrie

Thanks so much for that Barrie, if you could send me further details of the attack it would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

Many thanks

Evelyn

2nd Lt William Ballantyne was an ancestor of mine (maternal side).

Born 6th February, 1890 at Drochil Cottages, Kirkurd & Newlands, Peeblesshire, the son of John Ballantyne and Christina Todd, William was killed at Hohenzollern Redoubt, France, while serving with the 1st Bn Black Watch, on 13 October, 1915.

He served his apprenticeship at Biggar, Lanarkshire, and went to London to continue his capacity as a commercial salesman. He joined the ‘London Scottish’ and at the outbreak of hostilities he went to France with his battalion on 15 September, 1914. He was wounded in November, 1914, evacuated to the UK and rejoined his Battalion in March, 1915.

He was Gazetted to the 1st Bn Black Watch in 18 September, 1915, and fell in action on 13 October, 1915, age 25.

He is commemorated on the Peebles War Memorial and on the Blythe Bridge War Memorial. He is listed in the Book of Remembrance at Peebles Library.

I cannot find him in the Gazette and I assume that between being Gazetted on 18 September and KIA in 13 October, there was no time to list him in the Gazette.

I also presume that he would need to be an N.C.O. of the rank of Sergeant to be Gazetted to 2nd Lieut.

Barrie,

If you have anything from the War Diary, it might save me a few pennies.

I already have the War Diary of the 14th Bn London Regt.

Evelyn,

I'd be very interested to know of your interest in this officer.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-15839700-1443880838_thumb.j

post-87018-0-93482600-1443880848_thumb.j

post-87018-0-46900300-1443880855_thumb.j