Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36th Ulster painting

Soren

Hi Pal's,

I've seen a painting of the 36th ulster Division going over the the top, does anyone know who painted it and where can I see it?

Many thanks

Soren

Soren

Try and find the Irish Stamp thread, SEARCH isn't working for me at the moment.

I'm sure someone gave more info on it there.

Hi Pal's,

I've seen a painting of the 36th ulster Division going over the the top, does anyone know who painted it and where can I see it?

Many thanks

Soren

Hello Soren

I presume that you refer to the painting titled Charge of the Ulster Division by JP Beadle .It depicts the famous episode of the 36th Division.There is an officer encouraging men of the Royal irish rifles taking the second trench system.He has his hand up .He is Francis Bodenham Thornley.During the battle he was wounded while serving with "B" Company Royal Irish Rifles and while recuperating he was assigned to advise the arist.

You may see a framed copy of this picture in a small antiques/militaria shop in Ringwood,Morgans Antiques.The proprietor kindly allowed me to have a Somme tribute window to bring people's attention to the events of July 1st and hopefully stimulate further interest in the WW1.

Will dig out more details and contact you later.

Regards,

Bob Norman New Forest Framing.

or was he home suffering from German measles?

Hello Mark

I certainly don't pretend to be any expert on the matter but only relate what I read somewhere.

Obviously you have more accurate information.

Ironical that it should be German measles!

Regards,

Bob

".. I've seen a painting of the 36th ulster Division going over the the top, does anyone know who painted it and where can I see it? .."

Soren - the original is currently on loan to the Historial de la Grande Guerre in Peronne (Somme) - it is being displayed alongside the WW1 Celtic Cross to the 16th (Irish) Division which was originally erected along the Guillemont to Ginchy road. The exhibit hall at Peronne where these two items have been placed is a bit "odd" by the normal standards of that museum (huge light spaces with relatively few exhibits in them) in that its a bit of a "black hole" - very dark / no natural light at all - which was a bit of a blow as I was there a few weeks ago specifically to get some photo's of the 16th Div Cross ....................... and the results are very gloomy indeed.

I think both originals go back to Belfast / Islandbridge (respectively) this autumn, but dont quote me on that - check before you visit.

regards - Tom

The original is currently on loan to the Historial in Peronne for their Somme exhibition.

post-12839-1152649665.jpgThere is a similar one of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders by Peter Archer.

post-12839-1152649779.jpgOne of Sgt Robert Bye V.C. of the Welsh Guards at 3rd battle of Ypres by David Rowlands

post-12839-1152649841.jpg

One of the Coldstream Guards

post-12839-1152649942.jpg

The Bedfordshire Regiment]

I am sure that I have seen a painting much like the image in the banner above. It was at the Ulster Tower on the Somme. It was all there, the orange sashed Ulsterman firing a revolver and the German swinging a grenade. Although I think that it was all the other way around, I am sure that the Ulsterman was on the left hand side and the German on the right. :unsure:

JGM

post-12839-1153171515.jpgThats a good shot of a great banner. I always liked this one.

Have to say I am not a great fan of the 'modern' picture. I have diffs with the German stahlhelms etc

But for interest's sake, the original banner of the local LOL showing Captain O'Neill MP for Mid-Antrim and the first MP to be KIA in the war. This dates from 1917 when the local ULster Div. LOdge was formed.

And the pic it was based on

post-1582-1153172378.jpg

post-1582-1153172432.jpg

• 12 years later...

The painting of the attack of the Ulster Division is on permanent loan from the Ulster Museum to Belfast City Council.  It is on the wall of the Lord Mayor's office in Belfast City Hall