Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.A.M.S.

Marian

Hello Horatio 2

Thanks for your correction. I had lapsed into my USN days were a missing man was declared dead, without information from the Red Cross, a year and a day after the date he was posted as missing.

All best

don

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have just been reading the original service papers of a man who served as a Seaman Gunner on DAM's. In fact, the chap, William Kemp, was killed in 1917, when his ship was sunk by a U Boat.

His papers list all Naval establishments he served on/with, but when it comes to his DAMs service, only the HQ is listed and not the ship he was on when he lost his life.

I was wondering if any pals can tell me if he would have been part of the same crew on the same ship for his service with DAM or if he would have moved from boat to boat? Also, is it possible to find out how often his boat sailed during his service with it?

Many thanks for your time,

Stewart

Hi Stewart

KEMP, William, Acting Leading Seaman, RNVR, Clyde Z 5192, Marmion, steamship, 26 August 1917, submarine action, ship lost

MARMION was a 4,066-ton steam cargo ship that was completed as Yard No.526 by Irvine's SB. & DD. Co., Ltd., West Hartlepool in September 1912 for Pyman Steamship Co., Ltd. (G. Pyman & Co.), West Hartlepool Official No.132829

The ship was torpedoed and sunk by U 93, on 26 August 1917, 300 miles W ¾ S of Ouessant (46.18N-11.40W), while on a voyage from New York to Bordeaux, with general cargo. 17 crewmen were lost

Cheers Ron

Hello Ron,

I should have mentioned that I have the details regarding the ship he lost his life on. What I would like to find out is whether or not he would have always served on this ship when he joined DAMs or whether he would have moved from ship to ship? Also, are there any records of when each ship sailed and if it had seen any other action etc.

Thanks for passing on the information on the SS Marmion.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello Ron,

I should have mentioned that I have the details regarding the ship he lost his life on. What I would like to find out is whether or not he would have always served on this ship when he joined DAMs or whether he would have moved from ship to ship? Also, are there any records of when each ship sailed and if it had seen any other action etc.

Thanks for passing on the information on the SS Marmion.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

You may have this already, but Memorial University has crew lists for SS Marmion covering 1912, 1913, 1914 and 1916:

http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombine...icial_No=132829

Be forewarned, getting copies is not cheap. Also, National Archives UK has some stuff (other Crew Agreements):

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...3177022&j=1

and

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...p;CATID=3177117

-Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the advice and links. As a member of the RNVR would he have had to sign an Agreement? I thought these were just for Mercantile Marines, but I am probably wrong.

I will check his papers again, but I am fairly sure he became a Seaman Gunner on DAM's from April 1917 towards.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice,

Stewart

I was wondering if any pals can tell me if he would have been part of the same crew on the same ship for his service with DAM or if he would have moved from boat to boat?

Hello Stewart,

There's an account by a merchant ship's gunner at http://www.ahoy.tk-jk.net/Letters/CountNic...rafzuDahna.html .  He served in the same ship for over a year until that ship was sent in for refit and heavier armament, at which point the gunners and the guns were moved to another ship.  So in this case at least, the gunners seem to have been 'attached' to the guns themselves.  

Regards,   Ralph

Hello Ralph, that's a great link :rolleyes: I am just off now to read it fully,

Thanks for taking the time to post it,

Regards,

Stewart

Hi all,

This thread raised a question for me in my own research; if the gun crew did not appear on the crew agreements, how can you find out what gunners/gun crews were on which ships? I know how to find the casualties, but not survivors of sinkings. It would appear that when it comes to DAMS, the number of people that tend to be reported on board at the time of an incident does not including the gun crew?

Thanks,

-Daniel

The locqal establishments Admiralty and Board of Trade kept numerous card indexes and other documents that have not survived. It seems that the allocations to DAMS is another that was weeded.

• 6 years later...
Hi StewartKEMP, William, Acting Leading Seaman, RNVR, Clyde Z 5192, Marmion, steamship, 26 August 1917, submarine action, ship lostMARMION was a 4,066-ton steam cargo ship that was completed as Yard No.526 by Irvine's SB. & DD. Co., Ltd., West Hartlepool in September 1912 for Pyman Steamship Co., Ltd. (G. Pyman & Co.), West Hartlepool Official No.132829The ship was torpedoed and sunk by U 93, on 26 August 1917, 300 miles W ¾ S of Ouessant (46.18N-11.40W), while on a voyage from New York to Bordeaux, with general cargo. 17 crewmen were lostCheers Ron[/quote

Hi all

I am currently researching details of my Grandfather's life (Jean Le Clair) and know that he was a merchant seaman on the SS Marmion from 1914 and when it arrived in New York from Gibraltar in 1917. I believe he may have been on the vessel when it was torpedoed (not one of the casualties). What I would like to know is what is likely to have happened to the survivors immediately after the sinking? Would they have been picked up by other vessels or the u boat. Can anyone advise me as to where I can find the information I am looking for?

Thanks. Any information gratefully received. Jean