Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skindles, Poperinghe

damiangt

Just noticed this old thread on Skindles and saw reference to the first site in Poperinghe (Number 16 Rue d'Hopital). I was there last month and took a photo of the building without realising it - see attached (the red brick building on the right). As you can see from the enlargement the company name is "Liberty".

Here's the enlargement.

post-2669-1199054669.jpg

post-2669-1199054893.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest June Marion
I haven't been able to find a thread about Skindles and wondered if any pals had any information or anecdotes about the place?

I too must have passed the place without knowing. I have recently acquired a small book of postcards produced by Hotel Skindles. I guess it was produced post war as in addition to internal and external photographs of both hotel sites and the Ypres (Ieper) restaurant it has before and after pictures of the Cloth Hall, the British cemetery at Remy sidings (Lyssenthoek) with wooden crosses in place and the remains of tanks at Hooge. If anyone has an interest in any of these I will try to copy from the book although it is stapled together.

The telephone number of the hotel was Poperinghe 24 and the resturant Ypres 3.

Another photo

Isn't that amazing? The vintage postcard of Skindles on my website (here) also has an "x" above the white house towards the end of the street. Are you the person I sold the postcard to?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Does anyone know the date when the 'Skindles' name moved from the original location to the Officer's Mess further up the road?

(I presume I have read the previous posts correctly and the name did move :blink:

Andrew

• 2 years later...

I have just commenced reading a book entitled The Children who fought Hitler by Sue Elliott with James Fox in which several mentions of the Skindles restaurant in Ypres are mentioned.

A photo in the book of the patched in Hotel de la Gare shows the restaurant in the background, and it appears to be nothing more, at the time, of a weatherboard ? house with tile roof.

Unfortunately the detail is rather blurred and probably not worth trying to put it on the forum (even if allowed). Would this be then the earliest reference to our Skindles ?

I was under the distinct impression that the original (British) Skindles was an establishment of ill repute - a famous rendezvous for improper assignations.

With that as background, there is an obvious question I have been meaning to ask - what does that say about the morals of the GWF "Skindles Club"? Is that where the "Old Sweats" go to arrange their latest improper assignations? :w00t:

Wex,

being an old sailor I am all for improper assignations in skindles, but alas, these days it is just for members to let off a bit of steam.

In days gone by you had to get 300 posts up to be eligible, so I posted anything and everything (what;s new) to get to that figure when to

my astonishment after getting to 302 the rules were changed to eligible at 100 posts - still my luck holds. :devilgrin:

• 7 months later...
Guest Ray Roberts

Major Lewis A. M. Hastings M.C. is said to have published a book, probably of poems, entitled Skindles at Poperinghe in 1919. However, I can find no reference to it in the British Library. Perhaps it was just one poem, and published in a poetry journal or in an anthology. Can anyone help, please?

Ray

• 11 months later...
Guest vandenrf

Hi, My name is Rik , and I live at Poperinge not far from Skindles and Talbot House. I have some old pictures where we can see a kind of "signalisation board" with a "S" on it. My question is : is this sign a "skindles" sign (because is was placed nearby the Poperinge Skindles hotel and former Ypres Skindles hotel , or is this a "typical war period sign" and what does it means ? The first 2 pictures has been taken on the left and right side in the Gasthuisstraat , in a different (years ?) time period , nearby Skindles and Talbot House Poperinge. The thirth picture (with the group of motocyclists....) has been taken nearby Skindles in Ypres. Regards , Rik

post-111941-0-75226000-1404107991_thumb.

post-111941-0-26412800-1404108642_thumb.

Guest vandenrf

Just noticed this old thread on Skindles and saw reference to the first site in Poperinghe (Number 16 Rue d'Hopital). I was there last month and took a photo of the building without realising it - see attached (the red brick building on the right). As you can see from the enlargement the company name is "Liberty".

Here's the enlargement.

Hi, Your pictures are not Skindles pictures ! Skindles does still exist (2014) and has not been rebuild or changed . Skindles is at Gasthuisstraat 57 and NOT 16 !!!! .......You can "Google" Skindles Poperinge...... or : http://toerismepoperinge.be/en/page/1212-1224-1259-1335/skindles.html , Regards, Rik

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Shock, horror! Today's Gurniard article on Maidenhead -

"The fact is that nothing very bad has happened in Maidenhead, outside the exercise of personal appetites. The place to satisfy them used to be Skindles, a riverside hotel that began life as a coaching inn and later became notorious as a leading home counties venue for adultery."

No connection I assume?

The Maidenhead version was also an Army venue, I believe. It gets a mention in Joyce Grenfell's monologue Picture postcard (Keepsake).