Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Women's Hospital

Sue Light

Sue do you have any record of an Aida E. Yeates, who was a masseuse with the French Red Cross. As her emigration record shows Scotland as last residence, I was wondering if this was the unit she was with.

Thank you,

Michael

She appears in the list of those who served in Binyon's book. However I cannot trace her as a member of the Scottish Women's Hospitals, the Serbian Relief Fund or the French Flag Nursing Corps. She probably served with a purely French unit. If you download her medal index card, the page reference might indicate where she served.

Norman

Does FRX101/B5 p. 267 ring any bells? French Red Cross, of course.

Hopital de l'Alliance at Yvetot, 262 beds. January 1915 to January 1917 with British staff, thereafter French staff. Established by the Allied Hospital Benevolent Society. Established in part of a disused seminary building at Yvetot mid way between Dieppe and Rouen.

Norman

Thank you very much. Her MIC shows a July 1916 entry into theatre.

I found this excellent link to a Cape Breton site about a local family. The daughter went to France as a nurse and served at Yvetot. She was also a photographer and artist, and there are some of her works shown.

http://www.cbrl.ca/mclennans/war.html

Presumably her experience and Aida's would have been the same. Her MIC is at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

• 1 month later...

Can anyone provide the actual dates and places in which my Great Aunt ,Sister Margaret Crowe, served? I know she missed her sister's wedding as a result!

CROWE, Margaret Cowie served as a Nurse at Mladanovatz from February 1915 to November 1915. For her service she was awarded the Serbian Cross of Mercy.

Norman

• 3 weeks later...
CROWE, Margaret Cowie served as a Nurse at Mladanovatz from February 1915 to November 1915. For her service she was awarded the Serbian Cross of Mercy.

Norman

Thank you for the information. I think she might have gone out again with the SWH but I'll have to check that out. Thanks once again.

• 4 weeks later...

Royalredcross, which hospital was FRX101B 21? Isabella K.M. Macdonald (also listed as C.M.). I'm wondering if the Miss J M'K Macdonald in Binyon's list might be her.

Appears to be the Belgian Field Hospital roll.

There is an Isabella (no other initials) Macdonald who served with the Scottisdh Women as a Nurse with the Girton & newnham unit from 27.2.17 – 9.18 .

Norman

Thank you. I don't think that's her, as the Medal Index Cards clearly indicate that "Isabella" and "Isabella K.M." are different persons, although "Isabella K.M." and "Isabella C.M." are the same.

• 5 months later...

Hi Sue,

I am currently researching for my grandfather's biography who served in the Royal Serbian Army during the 1st and 2nd Balkan Wars as well as during the WW1. He was wounded on May 7th, 1917 at Obla C(h)uka near the Kaimakchalan and was transported to the 36th General Field Hospital in Vertekop. I have an article from the Weekly Illustrator from 1937, titled Best Friends in which he is portrayed as a young officer, good looking, with piercing blue eyes. Colonel (Stevan) Savic(h) was of strong character and serious nature. He was nursed by two young nurses – English Peggy (prettier of the two) and the Scottish Mckenlly or McKinley. Both nurses, according to the story, fell in love with the young officer but in avail - before leaving for the battlefields, he and his best friend, Col. Bogoljub S(h)umarac pledged to eternal friendship – the one who was to survive the war was to take care of the other's spouse. His friend was killed in the 1912's and he having survived a severe wound to the chest after the death of his first wife, married the widow of his best friend, my grand mother.

I would be much grateful if you could help find more details about the nurses in question.

For those who may still be looking for places in Serbia where the hospitals were located they are (spelt correctly) Kragujevac (Kraguyevatz), Niš(Nish), Beograd (Belgrade), Leskovac (Leskovatz), Mladenovac (Mladenovatz) that I know of.

Zoritsa</SPAN>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest dtaylor23

Hello

I am trying to find some trace of my grandmother, Margaret Hunt Marshall who I believe was a nurse in the Scottish Womens hospital in Serbia in WW1. Are you abloe to help with this in any way,

With thanks

David

David

Unfortunately I can't see any trace of her on the staff lists of the SWH that I have here, though I'm not sure that they're totally complete.

Sue

Guest dtaylor23
Hello

I am trying to find some trace of my grandmother, Margaret Hunt Marshall who I believe was a nurse in the Scottish Womens hospital in Serbia in WW1. Are you abloe to help with this in any way,

With thanks

David

I have just found this posting and have details of various staff ( addresses also) from when my Great aunt, Sister Margaret Crowe, was over with the SWH. She was in Mladavectz ( sp off the top of my head!), Kragievitz and somewhere else beginning with K that I can't remember at present. She nursed Nurse Toughill until she died ( she had fractured her skull in an accident) and I also have details of her funeral ( she died at 0420 hours and was buried at 1630). My g.aunt had also been in the vehicle when it went over the embankment but she was the only one to be unharmed, due to her coils of hair acting as a shock absorber. I further have photographs of Augusta Minshill with 2 American nurses and a doctor and also of her grave as she died of fever, I believe.

I have a lot of my g.aunt's photographs taken whilst in Serbia and then from her return to Russia with Elsie Inglis in 1916.

I have downloaded columns from the Scotsman archives of the Serbian nurses and their achievements and I have photographs of the presentationof the Elsie Inglis bust to the Scottish portrait Gallery in 1918. One of the photographs shows a guard of honour comprising nurses and staff from SWH.

If anyone wants details, addresses etc, please feel free to contact me.

Hi,

I would be very interested in your great aunt's photos especially the ones of Serbia.

My grandmother served as a British Red Cross Nurse in Vrnjatchka Banja until being 'captured' on November 10 1915 and later being transferred by train to Krusavatz where they joined "the remaining members of two private units "The Scottish Women" and "The Wounded Allies Relief" to be repatriated to England via Vienna, Zurich and France. There were about 40 people in this total group according to Ethel Gillingham's (my grandmother) letter, about 22 being BRC.

It could be that your great aunt and my grandmother shared this journey.

You might be interested in my grandmother's description of this journey.

Richard

Hi,

I obtained last weekend nice British Victory Medal, what was awarded to Mary L Butterworth (only the name on the rim).

Thank you to the advise from the GMIC forum, I would like to query from experts, is it possible to find out more about her service or can the role indicate which hospital she was based; FRX 101B5 276

All the best,

Timo aka Noor

146800972890b0_l.jpg

Mary Louise Butterworth served briefly with the Scottish Women's Hospitals. She was at Royaumont from 15 october 1918 until 2 December 1918. She was an Orderly.

Norman

Thanks Norman, I knew you would have the information Timo needed.

Michael

• 3 months later...

Sue,

Does the name of a M.L.MILNE appear in the records?

The museum in Hawick holds her medals but, as usual, no written records of who she was survive.

I can't find any MICs that match.

post-172-099347900 1279477033.jpg

The medals are stunning and it's a real crime that the memory of their recipient aren't recorded.

Hers is the first Scottish Women's Hospital badge that I've seen:

post-172-020042200 1279477272.jpg

post-172-034347700 1279477391.jpg

Hallo Derek

She was Mary Milne. She served with the 'London' Units from 30 August 1916 to 24 November 1917 as a cook, and later at the Tuberculosis Sanatorium for Serbs at Sallanches, Haute Savoie, as a housekeeper, from November 1918 to May 1919. I can't see anything to account for the missing year, so perhaps she was 'at home' or doing something else during that period. She received the St. George Medal for 'bravery under fire on active service in the Dobrudja and Roumania.'

I would bet that Norman (Royalredcross) could add a good deal more if he sees this.

Sue