Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Women's Hospital

Sue Light

The resurrected thread on Elsie Inglis jogged my brain, and I remembered that I had acquired lists of members of the SWH, if anybody needs a look-up of any particular name. They include all grades of staff - doctors, nurses, dispensers, orderlies, masseuses etc., and give full name, unit within SWH, position held and dates of service. The lists are:

1. Members who served in Ajaccio, Corsica

2. Members who served at the Abbaye de Royaumont

3. Those who served with the Girton and Newnham Unit

4. Serbia - up to February 1916

5. America Units

6. Canteen members at Creil, Crepy and Favresse.

PLEASE NOTE: All names on these lists have now been put online, and can be viewed on my website here:

SCOTTISH WOMEN'S HOSPITAL NAMES

Sue

Edited by Sue Light

Sue

Have you any RAMC personnel listed? I am in the process of setting up a website with a database to list as many RAMC personnel as I can find. I have so many incomplete lists and relatives have so much trouble trying to trace their grandfather's Unit that I am hoping to create one place where all the fragmented information can be gathered. It will also be one place where they are all commemorated together.

Thanks

Barbara

Sue

Have you any RAMC personnel listed? I am in the process of setting up a website with a database to list as many RAMC personnel as I can find...

Thanks

Barbara

I don't wish to divert Sue's thread, but that is a massive undertaking Barbara. How many men (I assume it was only men) served with the RAMC?

Sue

What a kind offer. Do you have anything on Gertrude M Tew ? went on the 1901 Census and i have two to choose from, one in Cheshire and one in Brum. I know she was in Serbia but did she see service in France? if so what would be the likelyhood of a French award?

Many Thanks

Dave.

I don't wish to divert Sue's thread, but that is a massive undertaking Barbara. How many men (I assume it was only men) served with the RAMC?

I also do not wish to divert Sue's thread. I am well aware of the task I have taken on but even if it takes me the rest of my life and even if it is not fully complete, it will be worth it I think, for them.

Barbara

I don't wish to divert Sue's thread

When there was a thread on here that didn't get diverted :lol: as long as we stay off blondes, it's no problem!

Barbara

Sorry, but it's just SWH women - no RAMC at all. But as someone who loves lists, the thought of your never-ending RAMC one is very appealing!

Dave

Gertrude Tew doesn't appear in any of the lists I have, although there were other SWH units that I don't have. She does appear in this item in the British Journal of Nursing, which shows that at the beginning of 1916 she had just become a 'Queen's Nurse' - the forerunner of today's District Nurses - I don't know how it fits in with information you already have - 5 Feb 1916, p.124.

It's bad luck having two women so close in age, and with the same unusual name. Assuming that only one of them was a nurse, if she was still working when the first General Nursing Council Register was published in 1922, then the entry might give a clue as to her origins. If she had married or had left nursing by then, she wouldn't appear. They are held at the National Archives [DT10].

Sue

Sue

Many thanks for your speedy reply, yes I thought I'd be on a winner with a name like that but I suppose thats what makes it fun!

She was there somewhere, MIC gives Serbia, French Red Cross and that

lovely link a while ago to the Times digital library lists her as being awarded the Serbian Cross of Mercy.

Dont know what it is this Matelot/Nurse thing but It affects a lot of us......(perhaps I'd better go and see the Padre for some more tablets!)

Many Thanks once again

Dave.

She's on my roll.

Gertrude M. Tew served as a Nurse at Mladanavatz from April 1915 to October of the same year. She was awarded the Serbian Cross of Mercy for her service.

Norman

She's on my roll.

Gertrude M. Tew served as a Nurse at Mladanavatz from April 1915 to October of the same year. She was awarded the Serbian Cross of Mercy for her service.

Norman

Norman

Many Many Thanks that certainly re-charged the old battries ......onwards and upwards!

Dave H.

Many thanks for your speedy reply, yes I thought I'd be on a winner with a name like that but I suppose thats what makes it fun!

Dave

I've been having a look through the census returns and the birth index. I'm not sure whether I'm looking at what you're looking at, but I can find the registration details for two women called Gertrude M. Tew. One was:

Gertrude Maria Tew whose birth was registered in the June quarter of 1887 in Hardingstone, Northants.

The other was:

Gertrude Mary Tew, birth registered June quarter 1889 in Cheadle, Staffordshire.

Checking onwards, luckily for you, Gertrude Maria Tew got married in the December quarter 1908 [Northampton], so that just leaves Gertrude Mary in the frame. :)

Gertrude Mary Tew was the daughter of John Tew, a farmer, of Millhouse Farm, Hollington Road, Cheadle, Staffs., and his wife Sarah.

Sue

Sue

How do you do that? thats really kind of you, yes those are the two ladies I found (after using about 250 credits!) I didnt manage to find any ref to middle names though.

So its Cheadle Staffs not Cheshire, I wonder if they shifted boundries or

if its two different places? that part should be easy, even for me!......... found it on auto route..... so local papers now i suppose

Once again many thanks

Dave H.

The resurrected thread on Elsie Inglis jogged my brain, and I remembered that I had acquired lists of members of the SWH, if anybody needs a look-up of any particular name. They include all grades of staff - doctors, nurses, dispensers, orderlies, masseuses etc., and give full name, unit within SWH, position held and dates of service. The lists are:

1. Members who served in Ajaccio, Corsica

2. Members who served at the Abbaye de Royaumont

3. Those who served with the Girton and Newnham Unit

The three above seem to cover those units for the duration of the war [or at least, the duration of their involvement].

4. Serbia - up to February 1916

There is also a Roll of Honour, and a report of the work of the SWH for 1916.

Sue

A bit of a nerve I know but these are the casualties of the SWH. If you find anything on these I would be most grateful. Forget Elsie Inglis as she is well recorded. In particular home addresses would be helpful and full first names where I have initials. But any tit bits will do. Thanks, Jim

BURT, Mary A de Burgh

CATON, Florence Missouri

DUNLOP, Jessie H.L.

EARLE, Agnes Kerr

FANNIN, Teresa

FRASER, Madge Neil

GRAY, Mary Sutherland Brown

GUY, Alice Annie

INGLIS, E.M. Dr (founder)

JORDAN, Louisa

LEIGHTON, Clara

McDOWELL, Matilda

MINSHULL, Augusta

SMITH, Olive

SUTHERLAND, Bessie G.

TOUGHILL, Caroline Macdonell F.E.

UNDERWOOD, E.J. Mrs

Jim

I can find all of the women mentioned somewhere, except Jessie Dunlop, although you may well have most of the information. I'll send a copy of the list of those who died, and any extra entries for the others - probably tomorrow, as my brain is fried tonight.

Dave,

I did find Gertrude on the list eventually - there seem to be lists within lists that I hadn't noticed before. But just the same information as Norman has already supplied.

Sue

As Sue is doing the others for you, here's the missing one she couldn't find.

Jessie H. Logan DUNLOP served as an Orderly with the America Unit and Transport Column in Serbia. She was awarded the Serbian Red Cross Medal in silver.

Norman

Thee's an interesting article in this month's 'History Today' on a volunteer nurse, Susan Richmond, who served at Royaumont for about a year. She was an actress and kept a record of her time at the hospital. Large, very moving parts of her record are reprinted here, as well as many photos of the staff and patients.

Marina

Thee's an interesting article in this month's 'History Today' on a volunteer nurse, Susan Richmond, who served at Royaumont for about a year. She was an actress and kept a record of her time at the hospital. Large, very moving parts of her record are reprinted here, as well as many photos of the staff and patients.

Marina

It's a wonderful article - I've read a lot of diary-type accounts of hospitals, but this was so well observed and written - as you say, very moving. And I thought that Kate would be interested that when Susan Richmond left Royaumont in October 1916, she went to Abbeville where she joined the Lena Ashworth theatrical company.

Jim

My eye was caught in the Royaumont list by an orderly called Davina Gilmour Morrison Strawbridge. She sounds very well-heeled to me!

Sue

Jim

My eye was caught in the Royaumont list by an orderly called Davina Gilmour Morrison Strawbridge. She sounds very well-heeled to me!

Not this branch of the family (unfortunately). I suspect that she was from the American side (Philadelphia) where they owned a string of quality stores, sponsored the America's Cup, Master of Hounds and so on. One even married a Rockafella.

Sue

In an earlier part of this thread you mention the "British Journal of Nursing" and a particular page. Is there a direct way to pick a page number or do you do as I do - go to the bottom of the page and click "NEXT" or "PREVIOUS" and so on until I get to a particular page?

Tonym

Tony

From the search page:

BJN Search

Use the 'Browse' link on the left, and you then get a list of all the volumes, with links at the bottom of the page, in date order. All the WW1 dates are roughly in the range 51-60. Each year is divided into two volumes, Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec. If you click on a volume, then all the page number links appear at the bottom of the page.

Sue

Hello Sue,

Thanks for the reply but I think that I have the wrong link. I am working from a page (165 vol 60) that I put into my favourites when I was researching the Glenart Castle. All I have on the left of that page are two tabs "BOOKMARKS" & " THUMBNAILS" neither of which produce the list of volumes. I assume therefore that I am working from the wrong starting point. Do you have the correct link for BRITISH JOURNAL OF NURSING SEARCH and, if you have it, a link for NURSING RECORD & HOSPITAL WORLD?

Tony

Do you have the correct link for BRITISH JOURNAL OF NURSING SEARCH and, if you have it, a link for NURSING RECORD & HOSPITAL WORLD?

Tony

The link I put in my previous post is the one you need and from there you can either search or browse - I'll repeat it here:

BJN Search and Browse

But if that doesn't work for any reason, you can use the page that leads into that:

Royal College of Nursing Archives

and click on the top link on the page.

'The Nursing Record' was the original name of the same journal. It changed it's name on 5th July 1902 when it became the British Journal of Nursing, so looking at any edition prior to that date will show the different title.

Sue

Sue,

Do you have any information on a Nurse Bertram who served in Serbia around 1915?

post-172-1152462106.jpg

Derek

I have her as:

Miss Elizabeth Bertram (Nurse)

Served in Kraguievatz, Serbia, from July-December 1915, and in Ajaccio, Corsica, from 4th May 1916 - 20th April 1919.

A short piece in the British Journal of Nursing states she left England for Serbia on 29th April 1915, so was probably part of another unit there before going to Kraguievatz.

Sue