Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cloth Insignia Worn By The New Zealand Division

AndrewThornton

I wonder if anyone out there can help me?

I am trying to collate some information on the cloth patches worn on the uniforms of the troops serving with the New Zealand Division on the Western Front. I know of a couple of examples, such as the patches worn by the Division's Machine Gun companies, and the black cloth patches used by the New Zealand Rifle Brigade (The Dinks), but does anyone out there know of any other configurations for the other battalions?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

You can obtain the information from the NZ regimental histories, most are in the British Library or Imperial War Museum library.

My book "New Zealand Graves at Brockenhurst" (which commemorates the 93 NZEF men who are buried in the cemetery) lists in the bibliography the names of the NZEF regiments.

I have seen a poster in the museum of M.Letaille in Bullecourt showing all the NZEF badges and I think flashes as well. A friend of his in NZ sent him it; it is a copy sold by their war museum?

I should have some references on this somewhere; I also have a lot of NZ Div photos of men, which I am sure show patches if you are interested in copies?

Thanks Clare and Paul for the suggestions. I had forgotten I had posted this one!

Paul, if you do come across anything regarding New Zealand Division cloth insignia, I would be very grateful if you could note them down for me. If I can help you with anything in my limited sphere of interests (Staffords mainly) I would be happy to return the favour.

Best Wishes

Andrew :D

I had thought there was something in G.J.Lowe New Zealand Reinfocement Badges 1914-1918 (By the author 1987), but there isn't!

I have a couple of unit histories; will have a look and get back to you.

Have you tried contacting the webmaster of NZ In The Great War?

http://www.greatwar.org.nz/

• 4 years later...

Andrew,

I know this is really old but here is a site that has a poster to see and buy that covers the Kiwi units of the NZEF

http://discover.natlib.govt.nz/logicrouter...=GET_OBJECT_XML

regards

Stephen

Andrew,

forgot to say I have a copy of the poster coming on order and might be able to offer clarity or a picture if you cannot make out the images yourself.

Stephen

I wonder if anyone out there can help me?

I am trying to collate some information on the cloth patches worn on the uniforms of the troops serving with the New Zealand Division on the Western Front. I know of a couple of examples, such as the patches worn by the Division's Machine Gun companies, and the black cloth patches used by the New Zealand Rifle Brigade (The Dinks), but does anyone out there know of any other configurations for the other battalions?

Thanks.

Hi,

Theres a pair of books by Cliff Lord and Malcolm Thomas called 'NEW ZEALAND ARMY DISTINGUISHING PATCHES 1911-1991'. It has all the info you will need. It retails in NZ for $65NZ, and is well worth the money. I have it and it gives all the battalion/company details, colours, shapes etc.

You can get it from www.milimem.com here in NZ.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Clubby

NZ

Stephen S has hit the nail on the head with his link into the poster. I have a reproduction of it at home, and was informed many years ago that after the war, there used to be a framed copy of it in every school in the country.

The only problem of course being that you cannot make out the names of the Battalions......

Andrew,

Now have my copy of the NZEF Poster and can read all unit names ( must be 'newer' copier styles Captain Dave ).

I can give you names to match colours from the ordered site if you would like. I am afraid my copy it is a little large to scan but can try if you like.

The units covered are:

Field Artillery Brigades x3 , LTM Batteries x 4, the 4 infanrty brigades of 4 battalions each, the Rifle Brigade of 4 battalions. Also The Mounted Rifles Brigade but they were not in France.

regards

Stephen

Sorry, I was refering to the link being difficult to read due to the size. :blush:

Good onya Captain Dave,

No hard feelings. I am very pleased with the poster as my interest is in the NZMR this gives colour patches as well as badges.

Pity NZEF records are not on the web like the Australian War Memorial has done.

It does get a bit frustrating trying to find info ( great when success calls in )

Stephen