Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines Artillery

mmm45

Hi

Can anyone please tell me where i can find service records of a pre 1914 Royal Marine Artillery man?

Thank you

Ady :)

I would have thought at the PRO - certainly I am confident records for pre-1914 RMA officers are there. Have you tried their website and PROCAT?

The RMA records are a total mess because of their mixing up with Portsmouth Division RMLI consequent upon the merger of RMLI and RMA in 1923, when they all wound up with 'Portsmouth' service numbers. The RMA long service men's papers are split (for reasons to complicated to relate) between the PRO and the Fleet Air Arm Museum (01935-842628). Worth trying FAAM to see if they have your number. Bear with a delay there because of building work currently under way.

RMA service registers (similar to but more detailed than the online naval ones) are on microfilm in ADM 159 at Kew. The registers were transferred to the PRO in several batches.

The piece numbers are ADM 159/20 starting with number 1 (service back to 1859) to ADM 159/35 (service starting in 1901) number 9435. ADM 159/80, number 9436 to ADM 159/94, original number 17026 (service starting in 1921). Kew also holds the registers for RMA WW1 short service men.

After 1923 a 2 was put in front of RMA numbers to distinguish them from Portsmouth Division. The National Archives catalogue starts doing that from ADM 159/82, service number 210489 (originally 10489) service started in 1903.

There are 2 people I know who may be prepared to assist you - Kyle Tallett (Author of "Gavrelle") and Jack Clegg (John Morecombe). Both can safely be described as RM experts...

Kyle can be contacted via www.ashfordsfallen.com and Jack can be contacted via his excellent website at www.cwgc.co.uk (NOT the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission).

Best of luck

Neil

Thank you everyone for your help.I have 4 Bootnecks to research from WW1 era and one who joined up in the 1860s.

Ady :)

Its a pleasure.

The service registers started in 1884 and were back dated, if your man from the 1860s was out by then, you'll need to know his division and then you'll find him in the Attestation Papers in ADM 157 and Description Books ADM 158 and you can trace him through ships musters.

For the WW1 era men, if you have a number that gives you the division too and then its ADM 159. If you don't know the service number it will be on the medal roll in ADM 171. All files quoted from Kew. The WW1 research should be quite easy compaired to the army! And so a researcher should not charge the earth.

Per Terram